Realmafia: Depths [Civilians win!]

Hi! I know it’s been a while but yes, I am still doing these. And I am actually still posting sign-up threads here instead of literally anywhere else because I don’t have any better options. This is completely unrelated to rotmg in any way.

Anyway, this is a “mafia” game hosted by me and a bot made by zuzu that heavily relies on roleplay elements. If you’re unfamiliar with how this works, keep reading, if you’ve seen this same spiel all 20+ times before, you already know what to do.

Normal rules explained

It’s a battle of wits between the innocent Civilians and the evil Mafia! The only thing stopping you from punting the traitors is… well, you don’t know who’s who! The civilians win when all Mafia are successfully eliminated, while the Mafia win once they outnumber or match the amount of living civilians. Approximately 20% of the players are mafia-aligned, the exact number will be made known before the game begins.

When the game begins, every player will be privately informed of their randomly decided role. You know the truth about yourself, but unless you’re in the Mafia, everyone else is not necessarily trustworthy. It’s a game about uncertainty and the ability to convince others of your arguments and reasoning.

This should really go without saying, but it is forbidden to share proof of private host messages to confirm your role with anyone else, even non-players. There are no prizes for winning, this is all just for fun, so I ask that all players keep with the spirit of the game and not defeat the purpose of it. You are completely free to declare yourself as any role (regardless of whether or not it’s true) with a statement like “I am the Doctor,” but you are not allowed to definitively prove it with information outside of the game mechanics.

In each Day phase, all living players can publicly share their suspicions and vote against someone with the idea being to vote out a Mafia member. The Mafia members participate in these debates as well, except their intent is to convince others of voting out innocent people instead of themselves. The person with the most votes by the end of the phase will be executed/lynched and removed from the game. If the votes result in a tie, then the tied players will typically either guess a number or do Rock Paper Scissors during the following Night phase.

In each Night phase, players will not be able to speak in the public channel. During this phase, the Mafia team selects one person to assassinate during the night, and each special innocent role will choose who to use their abilities on during the night. This phase lasts until all parties have made their decisions, within reason.

You can choose not to vote (abstain) and change your vote as much as you’d like until the given deadline. If any player goes without posting for too long (two in-game phases), they’ll get the inactivity boot, which will occur alongside the majority vote. Keeping relatively quiet is a valid strategy, but you must at least meet this minimum threshold of participation.

Any murders by the Mafia and executions by majority vote will be noted at the start of the following Day phase, with the roles of the dead revealed. Innocent special roles like the Doctor are often who the Mafia want gone the most. Dead players and folks who never joined cannot vote or try swaying people’s votes. There will be a spectator room on the Discord server that players cannot see, but these spectators should not privately contact players about the game, whether that be through Discord PMs, being a part of another server that they are in, or talking in RotMG itself.

Persona rules explained

So here’s the twist that separates this experience from a typical mafia-like game: in addition to being given a role, you will also be given a “persona”, or character that you must perform as. You must remain in-character at all times, and you must prioritize your character’s personal motivations and your act of sticking to the character over actually trying to win the game, regardless of team. So if I give you a persona who is looking for ingredients to make a sausage roll, you must prioritize finding those ingredients from other players over playing the “game”. The actual mafia game really is not the point of these games, approach it more as an elaborate roleplay session.

As an example of a persona, I’ll show you a couple from previous games. Partially because I will have to write more personas as more people sign up, but partially because I want to point out something that’s part of a persona but is kept secret from most other players:

You are Skullbot 3000 . Contrary to your name, you are actually a very pleasant fellow and do your best to get along with everyone you meet. You were originally an experimental project of Mia Tinkercusp who was accidentally imbued with self-awareness. Mia chose to let you go afterwards, as it didn’t feel right to keep you like you were another belonging. you want to become more human as you can tell you lack certain features of a true sentient being. You believe these fragments are somehow capable of granting a human heart, among other things, as it was likely Mia’s fragment that accidentally granted you self-awareness in the first place. Also, you are 7 times stronger than a human and have armor plating that would put tanks to shame.

You cannot be defeated in any kind of combat. You are not immune to being killed by the mafia or by lynching, but no character can harm you outside of normal game mechanics.

You are Stella Clairvoya , a fortune teller from a distant country on a pilgrimage around the world for personal reasons. Whether or not you’re capable of determining the future or communicating with the spirits is entirely irrelevant to the level of enthusiasm you have for the subject. No matter how many times you end up being wrong, you never let the haters get to you and continue regardless. You’re also very short and love horses and horse analogies.

Once each night phase you can identify another character’s secret trigger. These revelations must be kept secret, but this ability doesn’t have to be. Your revelations may sometimes contain more or less information than what was given to the person being identified.

This is what would be sent to your DMs if you were given the Skullbot 3000 or Stella Clairvoya persona. You would behave as you imagine these characters would do, and you would be welcome to fill in whatever blanks you feel I’ve left out, such as your current relationship with Mia Tinkercusp in the case of Skullbot 3000. There are some little details like that I leave up to your own interpretation, but you must stick to what I’ve explicitly written for you at least. Your discord nickname on the server would also temporarily be set to Skullbot 3000 [not a real boy] or Stella Clairvoya [Fortune Teller] to help you and others keep track of what you are at a glance.

Notice the second part is all bold. This is what I’ve come to call a “secret trigger”. This section is only given to you, it is not part of the public version of these persona descriptions and no one else is told about this. If you were playing Skullbot 3000 and for some reason there was a fight over someone’s mysterious fragment for example (something from a previous game, don’t worry about it much), you would be invincible in that fight if you chose to partake in it and could force the fragment from one person and keep it yourself. If someone tried fighting back, I as the host would ensure it would not harm you. You’ll get a feel for this sort of thing once we get started, trust me.

Some triggers are passive like Skullbot 3000’s, but others have a more active effect like Stella Clairvoya’s. If you were playing as her, you would get to control who you decided to use your divination powers on each night rather than having some passive effect enforced by myself. Others still can happen in response to certain events in the course of the game. This is to further incentivize you to engage with the setting and with other characters, because that’s how you can get these trigger effects to happen. Some are simple while others are extremely long and complex, some you are free to mention if you’d like to and others must be kept secret at all times, but the important point is that every persona has one. If you don’t see one, that means what triggers it is secret even to you, but rest assured you will still have one. If you’re ever uncertain about what parts of your secret trigger you’re allowed to talk about, ask me right away.

Role List for this game

Civilian team roles:

Warrior (Civilian)

This is the most basic role. They have no powers and are on the Civilian team. Despite having no special abilities, they are the most common role and therefore have the most power in the daily voting. They must determine if they are on the right track or being misled on their own.

Priest (Doctor)

The Doctor is on the Civilian team, they have the power to defend anyone of their choosing from a mafia kill during the night. If the protected player is targeted by the mafia, they won’t die and it will be announced in the morning.

Paladin (Medic)

The Medic is on the Civilian team, and serves a similar role as the Doctor. On the first four turns of the game, the Medic can also heal other players, potentially saving them from death. On top of this, the Medic and Doctor start the game with their own private channel to speak with each other outside of the main text channel. This lets the two know for certain who the other one is, and how to efficiently handle the healing duties.

Sorcerer

Sorcerer (Deputy)

The Deputy is on the Civilian team. On the first four turns of the game, the Deputy can investigate another player and learn their true role. This is guaranteed to be accurate regardless of any obfuscation the mafia may be playing at.

Mafia team roles:

Assassin

Assassin (Mafioso)

Basic Mafia team member. Technically they have no special powers, but they work together in a private channel with their comrades and choose one person to assassinate during the night each turn. The game ends if the Mafia team members equal or outnumber the Nexus team members, or if all Mafia team members are killed.

Trickster (Don)

The Don’s ability is uniquely passive, they behave no different from a normal Mafioso until they are killed. Once the Don is killed however, they are identified as a Civilian in the death report instead of a mafia team role. Their true identity will be revealed after 2 turns have passed, but until then it will appear as if they had been innocent all along.

Archer
Archer (Sniper)

The Archer’s mighty bow can pick off targets without giving an opportunity for medical intervention. His kills surpass protection from healing roles, ensuring a target’s death. However, the Sniper’s actions are not separate kills, but rather a modification to the Mafia’s daily decision. He can only use this power twice, so it is critical that he doesn’t waste it on people that the Mafia does not expect to be protected.

In short, this is another RP mafia game with these special roles: Doctor, Medic, Deputy, Don, Sniper. As usual, you must stick to the RP first and actually try to “win” second.

Sign-ups:

I’ll host for as many people that want to play, and I’ve already asked a bunch on discord so the list has some names on it already. To sign up, either comment here with your discord tag or message me (Xaklor#2460) on discord. Expect the game to begin sometime shortly after christmas (if not immediately after), as I have too much stuff on the days leading up to christmas to effectively host anything. Remember that the game lasts for several days, this is something that will require commitment.

Current Roster:

1. Ruby.
  2. HorusKane
  3. Boombleeb
  4. Orsome
  5. herb
  6. sadfahlsdj
  7. Nameness
  8. NubieDubie
  9. AKLDragon
  10. Mal
  11. Ludfru
  12. NyanGamer
  13. Seelpit
  14. Cypress
  15. TROLLDLLR
  16. GammaGamer
  17. Zuzu

Here’s the server invite link: https://discord.gg/FnP5XUz

It’s been awhile since I participated but I’m excited! Especially for the role playing as a dnd player

the game has started!

With Gabriel Sledgehammer the Mafioso dead by a poorly-timed self-explosion, everyone breathes a sigh of relief. But wait! Isn’t there still a Don? Doesn’t this mean the game isn’t over? Well, the night after Gabriel’s death had no attacks take place. In the morning the ship receives a message from HQ saying that Oliver Twain killed one of the staff that night and has been moved back into containment. Turns out Oliver Twain was actually the Don, and not innocent after all.

So! Back to the sub! The sub travels as far down the right tunnel as it can and performs another scan. This is another very large cavern, filled with more tunnels along the walls that are far too numerous to count accurately. From one of these tunnels, a gigantic leviathan monster swims out from one of the tunnels. It’s body is covered in very large pink crystals, about the size of the two seen outside. Its long serpentine body is so massive the sub can’t even see how long it gets because it’s still partially inside the tunnel when the leviathan reaches the sub. Unlike the smaller ones, when this thing chomps the submarine the entire thing is crushed into scrap metal in one bite.

With no more sub and the psychically controlled passengers locked away, the Proud Anselmo turns around and leaves, as there’s nothing left to do here. That thing is way too huge and dangerous, and we wouldn’t want to stick around long enough for it to do something.

Stats!

Special Roles

Don: NyanGamer [Oliver Twain]
Sniper: Boombleeb [Zack Sbloundkched]
Mafiosos: TROLLDLLR [Gabriel Sledgehammer] and AKLDragon [Kevin Kevingston]

Doctor: GammaGamer [Theodore Pompeii]
Medic: Ludfru [Papa Pizza]
Deputy: Sadfahlsjd [Simon Cantrip]

Nightly Actions

Sent Home:

Day 1: none
Day 2: HorusKane
Day 3: NubieDubie
Day 4: AKLDragon
Day 5: NyanGamer
Day 6: Boombleeb
Day 7: TROLLDLLR

GammaGamer’s Visits:
Night 1: NubieDubie
Night 2: Ludfru
Night 3: Herb
Night 4: Mal
Night 5: Skelecore

Ludfru’s Visits:
Night 1: AKLDragon
Night 2: Skelecore
Night 3: GammaGamer

Sadfahlsdj’s Visits:

Night 1: Cypress
Night 2: Ludfru
Night 3: AKLDragon
Night 4: GammaGamer

Mafia Kills:

Night 1: Cypress
Night 2: Nameness
Night 3: Ludfru
Night 4: None
Night 5: GammaGamer
Night 6: Mal

Boombleeb’s Powers:

Night 2: Nameness
Night 3: Ludfru

Daily Summaries

Day 1:

After a close call with destiny, the crew abandoned booting Papa Pizza off the ship. No one was shipped back today.

Sadly the murderers have shifted to more high-profile targets, Juniper Featherstonehaugh was found dead this morning with 3 knives in her back. Was it something in the coffee? Were the killers just that bad at their job? Was Juniper a robot herself all along? Juniper Featherstonehaugh was a Civilian.

Day 2:

After realizing that we don’t even know or remember why Giovanni was brought on board in the first place, sending him back was a pretty easy decision. After he was loaded into the drone and launched however, he somehow broke free of the containment chamber and jumped out! Instead of falling to his death, a black stealth jet flew in out of nowhere beneath him and caught him midair. Giovanni was never seen again, under that name anyway. It’s been compromised. “Giovanni Caramelldansen” was a Civilian.

Continuing their track record of hitting high-profile targets, Levi Strongarm was killed last night. This time with 17 knives! Part of this is because Levi is just an unkillable hunk of manly energy, but also part of this is to ensure the damage done was severe enough that he couldn’t be healed, yes the Sniper has made their first move. Levi Strongarm was a Civilian.

Day 3:

In a flagrant misuse of ship property, Daisy Molmuffin confessed to murder as an excuse to get on board the vessel being sent back to HQ. Predictably, HQ proves her innocence as a Civilian.

In the morning, everyone is shocked to discover not just a dead Papa Pizza, but five dead Papa Pizzas. Each one bearing more severe bodily damage than the last, whoever killed him must really not have liked him, in fact the damage is so severe it’d be impossible for anyone to have provided any healing. Yes, the Sniper has struck again, but now they’re out of juice for the rest of the game. Above the ship in the sky, you see a singly manned aircraft flying away with a banner hanging behind it:

“Can I interest you in a body double? For you my friend, only a dollar.”

Despite being free from both the Papa Pizza menace and the accursed Bell of Greed (it went missing as soon as Papa Pizza did), things might not be looking so great. Papa Pizza was the Medic, which now leaves the party with less defense than before.

Day 4:

After everyone gave their tearful goodbyes to the Kevin, it was sent back to HQ. Once contained, it became clear to everyone at HQ that Kevin is indeed a Mafioso! While it can be difficult to extract intelligible conversation from a Kevin, he does mention something about voices commanding him to kill, which probably isn’t normal.

In other news, no one died tonight! You’d think this was because of the Doctor, but nope! There was just no attack that needed saving from. Weird!

Day 5:

After some intense down-to-the-wire debate, Oliver Twain suddenly found himself being launched off the ship with zero forward notice. Despite his protests, he was unable to dissuade the party before he found himself at HQ. After extensively testing his mental state, Oliver Twain was cleared as a Civilian after all.

In the morning, Theodore’s lifeless body was found on the deck that Oliver had so tirelessly mopped the day before. Theodore only had one knife in him, so either he wasn’t very good at defending himself or the mafiosos are getting better at their job. Theodore was the Doctor, which means that all special roles are now spent. It’s just raw gumption left now.

Day 6:

Finally having voted out the angriest of the bunch, Zack Sblounskched, the remaining passengers on the ship find things a bit quieter. They also have to now perform all toilet repairs themselves. Oops! HQ has identified Zack as the Sniper though! He has been contained separately from Kevin. He also says something about aggressive voices, but he also says the toilets commanded him to kill.

Emma Flotsam was found dead this morning with 17 knives in her back. Unlike Levi, the extra knives don’t seem to have been necessary, but rather they were used to give her the same treatment Levi got. Emma Flotsam was a Civilian.

Zyzzy Zazzerman has gone missing. Anyone know where they went? They’re not on board anymore. Ransacking their belongings reveals they were just a Civilian though.

Persona Triggers and Secrets

Arthur Morell:
If the pink crystal is ever recovered, this character must do everything in their power to dispose of it again.

Charlotte Bruschavik:
If this character is voted off the ship, they can still perform meteorological analyses remotely.

Daisy Molmuffin:
This character wins regardless of the game’s outcome if the ship is destroyed by a giant sea monster because it proves they were right.

Emma Flotsam:
This character must switch between an optimistic personality and a pessimistic personality each day phase. If questioned about this, the optimistic personality must claim to be roleplaying, and the pessimistic personality must claim to “being real” for a change.

Gabriel Sledgehammer:
Because this character stays up so late, if someone visits them in the night they will be informed. They will not be told who it was, however.

Giovanni Caramelldansen:
This character is a secret agent for THEM, the Temporal Heuristic Emissions Militia. Their name doesn’t actually mean anything and their goals are extremely hard to follow. THEM has instructed this player to acquire and escape with the treasure of Neptune’s Crater.

Jasper Wistfultuft:
If this character is successful in convincing every other player currently left on the ship to join their communist movement, the powers of infra-materialism will reveal the identity of one remaining mafia player.

Juniper Featherstonehaugh:
This character secretly has the Kill permission. If Kill is used on a player, this character will be publicly revealed to be behind it. Kill can be detected by other players using Log.

Kevin Kevingston:
If this character is on board at the end of the game, they will save the ship from a gigantic sea monster. If this character is not on board the ship, no such attack happens in the first place.

Levi Strongarm:
This character must vote every day phase to maintain order on their ship.

Odette Bea:
This character is an elf, they can do whatever they want with this information.

Oliver Twain:
This character must develop a crush on the first player who is nice to them.

Papa Pizza:
If this character successfully sells a Beef Sponge, Bottle of Fermented Honey, and a Bag of Seedless Almonds, the sub will find the Bell of Greed in the trench, which will make them rich.

Simon Cantrip:
If this character is voted off the ship, they will pick the lock on the drone before launch and hide on the ship. They can reappear at any time, but if Levi Strongarm is still on board they will be sent back to HQ again along with the person normally voted off no matter what.

Theodore Pompeii:
This character needs to have all fossils retrieved by the submarine.

Zack Sblounskched:
This character is notified of various toilet emergencies each night. They are:

• Kevin pees on the toilet seat
  • Charlotte “tidies” the bathroom, and accidentally cuts off water to the room
  • Papa clogs the toilet
  • Daisy clogs the toilet
  • Gabriel has an extremely embarrassing bout of explosive diarrhea
  • Odette’s plush weasel goes on the carpet

Zyzzy Zazzerman:
This character has a magic camera lens that can see things that can’t normally be seen.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.