Realm's Greatest Mysteries [Behavior in the realm, not lore]

Kinda just a thread to ask question why things are the way they are
for example

Why is the right wall to the stone guardians always broken, not the left?

Why does everyone kill the right stone guardian first?

Why does everyone stand at the bottom left corner to kill the dwarf ?

I was actually thinking about this earlier, and it just kind of occurred to me that there is a certain spot or path people always takes to kill things, when is the last time you started a Skuld fight from anywhere but the bottom left quadrant?

Oh hey Nameness you’re back!

Been back for some time lol

Btw, standing always on top of the marble colossus are purely for strategic reasons.

guess i havent been reading the forums to closely, then

I initially thought this thread was gonna be lore mysteries when I entered it. Asking stuff like, for example, if Malphus was an angel thrown from heaven, does that mean there is an afterlife for our characters? Who or what decides where we go? Skuld? Oryx? Some other god? How would this work with the presence of the undead? Are the ghosts and zombies and skeletons separate from the souls? The void entity takes choice souls to make into part of his army, are they stolen? Or given to the void entity by whatever god that gets to choose who goes where?

the notch there makes it easy for everyone to to bundle in one spot, and it’s shorter than going through the middle section. as for why everyone goes for the right notch, when the wall was first beefed up everyone actually kept going back and forth for quite some time. I remember multiple occasions where the people attacking the right notch were called out for attacking the wrong one. eventually people figured out that going for the right notch was what most people wanted (probably about 60%) and then gravitated toward that side to avoid having to fuss over it and waste time because we all know rotmg has to be optimized in every way all the time regardless of context. the more people that switched to preferring the right side, the more incentive everyone else had to switch as well. fairly standard mob psychology.

this effect is also why getting people to break free of the norm is so hard, since the longer this gravitation effect goes on the more people are incentivized to go along with everyone else. by extension, it’s also why the average rotmg player struggles to deal with even the most basic curveballs thrown at them. it doesn’t matter so much how clever the individual player is, when you put them in a great big mob they all turn into sheep. the sheep effect gets stronger the longer it remains a valid strategy because it becomes more and more apparent over time that there’s no real reason to change things up since it all works out.

the discord environment is also probably intensifying the sheep effect since they’re literally being trained to sheep along to the voice of a raid leader. it’s one of the reasons the idea of having to shut up and follow a raid leader through LH has always bothered me even back when it was still a new development and hadn’t gotten out of hand yet. some people might find it comforting in a way, but I find it absolutely soul-crushing. I avoided it as much as possible before, and now that it’s spread to the entire game I can’t bring myself to play anymore.

This makes me want to coordinate a group of people to see if we can get everyone to stray from the norm for once. For instance, our group of ~10 players rushing oryx castle so we can arrive at the walls first and start breaking the left wall. Or standing to the top right of Skuld in a cem, etc

how about standing above the first boss in shatters?
I only died on the other side because I was alone :frowning:

Also how about people don’t buff ghost kings thanks.

When and why did red stars get so much hate?

so death morels can’t spawn on you ^^

2012 I guess? Probably for thinking that they’r egood and getting cut down by toxic white stars~

seems legit

Why do people in Shatters, even in an up-until-then perfectly well cleared final bridge, insist on running past the final spawn instead of just killing it the same as we have for the 10 spawns before. Declining the XP and solid security of no ill-timed minion later appearing from a malicious drag or foolishness. Just kill! Bonus points for when the people trying to run past fuck it up running too close and end up in the lava/in a minion mess/nexusing.

This one I know, because I have always done it. Because of the solid walls of the setpiece especially the large impassable sections at the top, and bottom right, standing elsewhere leaves you liable to getting trapped by minions in the earlier phases, such as the Cavecrawler thingy. Bottom left gives the maximum escapabliity.

IMO this follows on naturally from breaking the right side wall, because people’s quest arrow will first point to the right guardian due to being closer, so it gets the initial attack, and from then on people focus on whichever has the lower HP, so it’s fairly inescapable outcome in a herd group.

Now as to why people break the right wall. My theory is people preferred it over left due to slight better visibility, because travelling up the right side of the final bridge places the fame/gold icons above an inconsequential part of the screen (over the moat where no enemies are), whereas going for the left side means the fame/gold are directly interfering with where you are trying to aim/watch for enemies. So when the final wall is reached more players are on the right than the left hence right wall gets more dmg, then optimisation/herd/tradition as per Xaklor explanation.

For one, I know that in most bullethells, the boss/enemies always come from the top of the screen and people like to see what’s “in front” of them.

As for why people tend to be on bottom-left, I’m not very sure. People tend to go bottom-left for Janus too, but bottom-right (very slightly right) on Avatar. I think it might have something to do with circling and where the inventory is placed.

Yes in the absence of anything else the default would be ‘below’ (if playing on 0 degrees) or ‘below right’ (if playing on 45 degrees) to get the enemy top and centred.

Though a minority now, the 45°ers could also account for preference of right side in Castle wall as that keeps more of the content in the ‘top and centre’ zone when on 45° centred. Especially in a group of default-setting players in the older days, when 45° was default and Castle was a slow clear rather than a rush, that might be a contributor to why right side won out.

Why do enemies with aimed attacks, when sitting directly on a Trickster decoy, fire to the “right”/east?

…Okay, it’s cheating, because I actually know the answer to this myself and just wanted to share it. My own assumption is that, with its target being directly on top of it, it defaults to the standard defaultAngle value for its behavior, which in the case of it being targeted, means that it’s set to 0.
Now, Realm’s degrees are calculated assuming that you’re going off a standard right-handed coordinate system. So, in essence, this means that an angle of 0 degrees = directly along the right (or east)-facing x-axis.

to avoid the mushroom insta and also kill the centipede