Recommended Ninja Set

Pretty typical question I guess. What is the best ninja set to work with? Ignoring the more niche voidblade & ubdex build, what would you typically use on a ninja? My impression of the ninja was it being crazy squishy, so I’m curious as to what set you would personally find best.

Doku, doom circle, spectral, bracer

T12/Doku/Ray (if you want pure safety and low damage)
T6 / UT
Hydra / CSilk
Expo/Bracer/Pyra /If your pet sucks get a defense ring, if your pet is awesome get a hp ring

My pets 90/86, do you think expo would be better or would an hp ring?

I’m always worried about ninjas being too squishy. It’s such a pot consuming character to max it really blows when it just pops to something dumb like a lair trap.

Armour/Ring: Pyra/Csilk, partly for the 5%/5%, but also because the 63spd makes it not annoyingly slow when you’re walking around unspeedy. I can’t stand Hydra. Then once you’ve chosen Csilk, Pyra fits better being a mix of HP and Def, though swap this for UbHP or UbDef if your playstyle fits these better.

If you like to focus on firing your shuriken, Harlequin is good for that.
Leaf Armour I’d probably not say “no” to, but it’s more use on other classes, so save for archer/huntress/etc.

Spectral would get a look in, if not for the depressing 2%.

Weapons: after the buff Muramasamune whatever it’s called works fine, you don’t need Doku, but if you have one then yeah. I carry both for no good reason, if I needed the space I’d ditch one. Ray Katana isn’t terrible if you want to have a coward-ninja, but if you’re doing that you probably want to choose armour/ring specific to Ray to make that work.

Ability: DCircle with UT as swap if lucky to get either.

What would a ray specific set look like to you? I do have choices in terms of most gear, just haven’t gotten around to making a proper ninja yet.

What playstyle would you recommend using a ubhp vs. ubdef?

just use ray/dcircle/spectral/pyra

or ubhp if you want, and if you get the midnight star that’s nice too

For a Ray specific set focus heavily on damage stats: Bracer/Pyra are necessary.
Even then have a T12 or doku to swap out for higher damage in safer situations.

Your pet is fine, I’d go for Expo over other def/hp ring personally.

I’m only guessing, since vanilla ninja is still fun enough for me that I’ve not gone to Ray really ever, and definitely not since the latest buff that raised the range of most of the katanas:

With Ray, I imagine because you are further away, you can take a more aggressive attitude to gear, and do something like Harle or Spec (because you don’t care so much about def if your Ray gives you the longer range) and a ring to raise dmg/dps to boost Ray’s lower dmg.

Def vs HP: if you find you’re always going deep tanky but without danger of insta-Rip, choose Def, but really there are so many things now that can do a ton of dmg, some HP is needed for sensibility. Maybe UbHP if you are average HP/no life drunk, then swap to Pyra when you max a bit of life, I’ve never really been good at explaining it. Pyra seems to do a good job as ninja will accept as much def/HP as it can get.

As someone who uses ninja as their farming class take my advice. If you can’t get UTs you want a pure def ring and tops. But with UTs your set should look something like:

Salju/diamond: Shorter range than doku but has better dps. If range is a must then go for ray instead as it is basically a wand of recompose. Sure masumune is basically the same weapon with better DPS, but ninja is already a heavy hitter and you can safely sacrifice DPS for style points as your main source of SB damage will be from your shuriken.

Kageboshi: Enemy piercing is beyond useful, especially for places like oryx’s castle and ocean trench.

Coral silk: You can never have enough fasts. Though spectral can work as well if you care more for the slight DPS over speed. Though the new epic hive dungeon coming out drops a direct upgrade to csilk, so aim for one of those when it comes it.

Dragon tamer amulet: While ninja does generally do better with def than hp, this ring is really nice for reaching your full potential. Pyra/expo/bracer works good too if you don’t care for speed.

Doku is the best katana, in my opinion, because it has the greatest range for the very high damage, wavy shots be damned.

Doom Circle really is the best shuriken. You can’t really match pure damage along with the Speedy.

Hydra is my recommendation for armor, since you’ll need all the Defense you can get, but CSilk is okay too, since you can double that 3 Speed bonus up to 6 whilst Speedy.

Decades is a good ring, just a nice cushion for damage, but if you have a Pyra, I’d use that.

Doku, T6 star, Spectral, Nile or Pyra

The OP recognised that the ninja is squishy, why are people recommending sets that only further that notion… spectral is kind meta, in the sense that it has slightly better dps but much worse survivability, fine for when you are fully confident with the class, but even then not recommended other than for aesthetics/cool factor. Spectral + a ring with 0 def, is completely bourgeois and impractical.

I’d note to OP to check the profiles of each person giving advice and determine who might have a better understanding of the game.

Yes very much! I sometimes carry an atk/dex ring for times when I know I am very safe, and just want to speedup the killing. But this is only a swapout, never a main ring, it is too much risk to have no defensive stats from a ring for most content.

Very true, if people want to have a pure damage build hold it as a switchable set to a practical defense and survival based set.

Hey thanks for that, I did post the question to get an idea what people like and think are reasonable sets for ninja so I understand it’s fairly subjective. Also, do you actually not use a good pet or is that a realmeye glitch 0.o

this is my account i haven’t used since 2012-13, my main now is AAAARGHH (name is because i couldn’t remember the pass to this account, DECA only recently helped me recover it)
I quit right after they introduced pets with skills and only came back properly Feb this year (check fame history on AAAARGHH).

dayum…

Just start with full old tops+Exa Hp (and maybe Ray as an extra set of training wheels), eventually you’ll see how that works with your own way of playing and adjust the set as you go.

If I may try to infer anything from your Realmeye, I’d say if you’re too used to jugg warr, the transition might be difficult. Might need a balance of Hp and Def like Hydra+Pyra or Hydra+Bracer so you can feel at ease.

For similar reasons Ray could feel too underwhelming in the DPS department, so you probably want to main either t12 or Doku to keep mowing gods down at a pleasurable pace.

I don’t really like UT Stars all that much, so I honestly think Dcircle is the best choice. With your pet, you’ll be able to permaspeedy anyway and you’ll be able to spam it quite often, to the point that your spacebar becomes essentially the “instantly make gods disappear” button (similar to Knight in that regard).