Rolemafia: Madness [Doggy man wins! (also Civilians too)]

Blah blah something about this forum being a weird and unhelpful place to put these hey look it’s another one! Also the name is changed because we’re completely unrelated to rotmg now and “Realmafia” is a weird name for a non realm game.

This is a game of mafia hosted irregularly by myself and a bot made by Zuzu that features roleplay elements. If you haven’t seen one of these before or are confused as to what’s going on, click the things below for more info. Otherwise you’ve already got the gist of these from before and don’t really need to read them.

Normal rules

It’s a battle of wits between the innocent Civilians and the evil Mafia! The only thing stopping you from punting the traitors is… well, you don’t know who’s who! The civilians win when all Mafia are successfully eliminated, while the Mafia win once they outnumber or match the amount of living civilians. Approximately 20% of the players are mafia-aligned, the exact number will be made known before the game begins.

When the game begins, every player will be privately informed of their randomly decided role. You know the truth about yourself, but unless you’re in the Mafia, everyone else is not necessarily trustworthy. It’s a game about uncertainty and the ability to convince others of your arguments and reasoning.

This should really go without saying, but it is forbidden to share proof of private host messages to confirm your role with anyone else, even non-players. There are no prizes for winning, this is all just for fun, so I ask that all players keep with the spirit of the game and not defeat the purpose of it. You are completely free to declare yourself as any role (regardless of whether or not it’s true) with a statement like “I am the Doctor,” but you are not allowed to definitively prove it with information outside of the game mechanics.

In each Day phase, all living players can publicly share their suspicions and vote against someone with the idea being to vote out a Mafia member. The Mafia members participate in these debates as well, except their intent is to convince others of voting out innocent people instead of themselves. The person with the most votes by the end of the phase will be executed/lynched and removed from the game. If the votes result in a tie, then the tied players will typically either guess a number or do Rock Paper Scissors during the following Night phase.

In each Night phase, players will not be able to speak in the public channel. During this phase, the Mafia team selects one person to assassinate during the night, and each special innocent role will choose who to use their abilities on during the night. This phase lasts until all parties have made their decisions, within reason.

You can choose not to vote (abstain) and change your vote as much as you’d like until the given deadline. If any player goes without posting for too long (two in-game phases), they’ll get the inactivity boot, which will occur alongside the majority vote. Keeping relatively quiet is a valid strategy, but you must at least meet this minimum threshold of participation.

Any murders by the Mafia and executions by majority vote will be noted at the start of the following Day phase, with the roles of the dead revealed. Innocent special roles like the Doctor are often who the Mafia want gone the most. Dead players and folks who never joined cannot vote or try swaying people’s votes. There will be a spectator room on the Discord server that players cannot see, but these spectators should not privately contact players about the game, whether that be through Discord PMs, being a part of another server that they are in, or talking in RotMG itself.

Persona rules

So here’s the twist that separates this experience from a typical mafia-like game: in addition to being given a role, you will also be given a “persona”, or character that you must perform as. You must remain in-character at all times, and you must prioritize your character’s personal motivations and your act of sticking to the character over actually trying to win the game, regardless of team. So if I give you a persona who is looking for ingredients to make a sausage roll, you must prioritize finding those ingredients from other players over playing the “game”. The actual mafia game really is not the point of these games (sort of, this one is slightly different. you’ll see), approach it more as an elaborate roleplay session.

Here’s a couple examples from previous games (Metamorphosis and Corruption):

You are Skullbot 3000 . Contrary to your name, you are actually a very pleasant fellow and do your best to get along with everyone you meet. You were originally an experimental project of Mia Tinkercusp who was accidentally imbued with self-awareness. Mia chose to let you go afterwards, as it didn’t feel right to keep you like you were another belonging. you want to become more human as you can tell you lack certain features of a true sentient being. You believe these fragments are somehow capable of granting a human heart, among other things, as it was likely Mia’s fragment that accidentally granted you self-awareness in the first place. Also, you are 7 times stronger than a human and have armor plating that would put tanks to shame.

You cannot be defeated in any kind of combat. You are not immune to being killed by the mafia or by lynching, but no character can harm you outside of normal game mechanics.

You are Stella Clairvoya , a fortune teller from a distant country on a pilgrimage around the world for personal reasons. Whether or not you’re capable of determining the future or communicating with the spirits is entirely irrelevant to the level of enthusiasm you have for the subject. No matter how many times you end up being wrong, you never let the haters get to you and continue regardless. You’re also very short and love horses and horse analogies.

Once each night phase you can identify another character’s secret trigger. These revelations must be kept secret, but this ability doesn’t have to be. Your revelations may sometimes contain more or less information than what was given to the person being identified.

This is what would be sent to your DMs if you were given the Skullbot 3000 or Stella Clairvoya persona. You would behave as you imagine these characters would do, and you would be welcome to fill in whatever blanks you feel I’ve left out, such as your current relationship with Mia Tinkercusp in the case of Skullbot 3000. There are some little details like that I leave up to your own interpretation, but you must stick to what I’ve explicitly written for you at least. Your discord nickname on the server would also temporarily be set to Skullbot 3000 [not a real boy] or Stella Clairvoya [Fortune Teller] to help you and others keep track of what you are at a glance.

Notice the second part is all bold. This is what I’ve come to call a “secret trigger”. This section is only given to you, it is not part of the public version of these persona descriptions and no one else is told about this. If you were playing Skullbot 3000 and for some reason there was a fight over someone’s mysterious fragment for example (something from Metamorphosis, don’t worry about it much), you would be invincible in that fight if you chose to partake in it and could force the fragment from one person and keep it yourself. If someone tried fighting back, I as the host would ensure it would not harm you. You’ll get a feel for this sort of thing once we get started, trust me.

Some triggers are passive like Skullbot 3000’s, but others have a more active effect like Stella Clairvoya’s. If you were playing as her, you would get to control who you decided to use your divination powers on each night rather than having some passive effect enforced by myself. Others still can happen in response to certain events in the course of the game. This is to further incentivize you to engage with the setting and with other characters, because that’s how you can get these trigger effects to happen. Some are simple while others are extremely long and complex, some you are free to mention if you’d like to and others must be kept secret at all times, but the important point is that every persona has one. If you don’t see one, that means what triggers it is secret even to you, but rest assured you will still have one. If you’re ever uncertain about what parts of your secret trigger you’re allowed to talk about, ask me right away.

Role List

Civilian team roles:

Warrior (Civilian)

This is the most basic role. They have no powers and are on the Civilian team. Despite having no special abilities, they are the most common role and therefore have the most power in the daily voting. They must determine if they are on the right track or being misled on their own.

Priest (Doctor)

The Doctor is on the Civilian team, they have the power to defend anyone of their choosing from a mafia kill during the night. If the protected player is targeted by the mafia, they won’t die and it will be announced in the morning.

Paladin (Medic)

The Medic is on the Civilian team, and serves a similar role as the Doctor. On the first four turns of the game, the Medic can also heal other players, potentially saving them from death. On top of this, the Medic and Doctor start the game with their own private channel to speak with each other outside of the main text channel. This lets the two know for certain who the other one is, and how to efficiently handle the healing duties.

Mafia team roles:

Assassin

Assassin (Mafioso)

Basic Mafia team member. Technically they have no special powers, but they work together in a private channel with their comrades and choose one person to assassinate during the night each turn. The game ends if the Mafia team members equal or outnumber the Nexus team members, or if all Mafia team members are killed.

Knight (Blocker)

The Blocker acts on the Mafia team. Each night he chooses a person to block, and that person’s special abilities are disabled for the night phase. However, no notification is sent to either the blocker or the public channel that a block successfully blocked someone capable of doing anything that can be blocked. The target of the block will be notified that they were blocked if they were a role that could be blocked.

There are two blockers this game.

In short, new realmafia game with specials doc, med, and two blockers.

IMPORTANT NEW INFORMATION

First, the day 0 is back. During this day everyone has their persona roles but not their game ones. During this phase you must talk or I will remove you from the game. Without a game role it’s no skin off my back to do that. This day is to give all players time to get used to their characters and the setting before some poor soul is killed day 1.

More importantly is the new trust system. In order to prove cult allegiance (plot blurb on the discord server) you must vote against other players every day phase. Voting (or lack thereof) will add or subtract points from your current trust level. Everyone starts at 0 trust. Voting gives you 1 trust. If you reach a streak of 3 days in a row, you will start gaining 2 trust instead. If you cast a vote on someone who turned out to be a traitor, you gain 1 extra trust. Failing to vote gives you -8 trust. If you reach -5 total trust or lower, you cannot gain positive trust for the rest of the game. If you reach -10 trust or lower you will be killed. Make sure to vote!

Sign-ups:

I’ll host for as many people as are interested once again, unless this somehow explodes and we get like 25 players. I might struggle in that case since more players means more creative writing work. To sign up, comment here or message me on discord (Xaklor#2460). I have not picked an official start date yet, but expect this game to last for several days. Some players I’ve already signed up in advance on our discord server, but don’t panic seats are effectively unlimited.

Current Roster:

1. Plat
  2. Ruby.
  3. Cam
  4. HorusKane
  5. Boombleeb
  6. WindowsHD
  7. Nameness
  8. Faye
  9. Ludfru
  10. Cypress
  11. birb
  12. Stellalumi
  13. Laurencher
  14. Bookwrym
  15. Nyan
  16. Optimism Baron
  17. SirSpud

Here’s the server invite link: https://discord.gg/FnP5XUz

i appreciate player number eleven, whoever they may be

:bree:

the game will start Monday July 11th, at 3 PM MDT, if you’re still interested in playing please reach out to me sooner rather than later

After an impressive display of deductive prowess, the remaining cultists identified Raven Thunderclaw as the last traitor. Not willing to let herself go, she took her own life using her knife before the others could catch up to her. She left behind a note saying “I’ll see you again Rose…”.

Todd Gillezdee acquired 3 bloodstones during this game and performed a ritual of his own! After 5 hours straight of droning along to some arcane babblings, a loud bang and a burst of red smoke appears! A small corgi is left behind and it runs around in circles barking and being a dog. Yay!

With the traitors out of the way the remaining group now only has pure intentions, allowing them to finally resurrect Pthaloptulhu with the Orb of Life. With the ritual completed Pthaloptulhu finally rises from his eternal slumber, ready to spread a new era of dread across the land! Pthaloptulhu calls to the heavens: “NOW WILL YOU FINALLY MERGE MY WORLD PULL REQUEST?” a response is heard immediately afterwards: “No!” Pthaloptulhu is then whapped with a newspaper. Maybe next time!

roles revealed

Birb, Plat: Mafioso
Stellalumi, Ruby.: blocker
Cypress: Doctor
SirSpud: Medic

nightly actions

Player eliminations:
Day 1: Birb
Day 2: Ludfru
Day 3: SirSpud
Day 4: Cam
Day 5: Laurencher
Day 6: Ruby.
Day 7: Plat

Cypress’ heals:
Night 1: SirSpud
Night 2: Nyan
Night 3: Nyan

SirSpud’s heals:
Night 1: Cypress
Night 2: Ruby.

Mafia kills:
Night 1: Boombleeb
Night 2: Nameness
Night 3: Cypress
Night 4: Jumbles
Night 5: Baron
Night 6: Nyan

Ruby’s blocks:
Night 1: Cypress
Night 2: SirSpud
Night 3: Jumbles

Stellalumi’s blocks:
Night 1: Bookwyrm
Night 2: Bookwyrm
Night 3: SirSpud (moot)

persona triggers

A’Tavril Arrow:
this person can create Bloodstones using a rock, a dead person, and $500 in coins. if this person is killed while they have a Bloodstone, they will be brought back after 1 day phase.

Benry Professor:
this person ships Tim Stevens and Gareth Vanderbilt and must protect the two at all costs.

Dee Snuts:
this person has an accursed tome of fascist magic, it needs to be destroyed but has resisted all attempts so far

Gareth Vanderbilt:
this person has infinite copies of the Efficacies of Dread

Hank Despair:
this person can trade organs on the black market for various items

Larzan Lumpa:
if this person is killed before getting a bloodstone to complete their dragonslaying ritual, all dragons killed by this person will be brought back to life. this includes Barg, who will come back to reclaim the Orb of Life.

Noah Manier:
this person has the magic Golem Engagement Ring. its purpose is initially unknown, but it can freeze any water it comes into contact with. the day after its power is discovered, an ice golem will come to camp to reclaim the ring.

Rachel Peet:
this person can dodge literally anything using the power of shadows.

Raven Thunderclaw:
this person needs a Bloodstone to amp up their gaming rig.

Rose Christo:
this person can craft custom cloaks during the night, but needs $100 minimum to cover costs.

Steve Timmens:
this person’s skin color changes every night phase, but cannot be a natural skin color. they must mention their new skin color during the next day phase.

Stimon Stakker:
this person can sell anything they like as long as the name isn’t a real word and the item isn’t a real object.

Tara Jillesbe:
this person can compel anyone to believe anything during each night phase.

Taylor Cashmere:
this person can create anonymous announcements that are broadcast at the start of each day phase.

Tim Stevens:
this person believes the Orb of Life will re-kill Pthaloptulhu and must destroy it.

Toby Skiet:
anything this person says that starts with “By the will of Pthaloptulhu_” will eventually always come true, but the consequences will match the magnitude of the wish. the only wishes that are forbidden are those that guaranteed civilian or mafia victory.

Todd Gillezdee:
this person can make a Bloodstone using a rock, mystery meat, and $500 in cash. If they get 3 Bloodstones by the end of the game, they win regardless of the outcome of the game because Pthaloptulhu’s dog will be revived.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.