Samurai Armour - CM Noob Q9 [which armours work on Samurai]

Henlo Frens,

Could someone please guide me to understand armours on Sami? What are the best armors, when and why? I have a spare resu, do I? The wiki is really poor on the Sami class guide…

Thanks!
Cm

Samurai has low defense, so when I played him (once) I used Candy Coated. Any armour that still gives decent defense is fine though. Resu sounds good, you’ll have more waki uses on you and as far as I know it doesn’t affect your defense too much.

I’m still on vanilla Acropolis.

I would say use as aggressive an armour+ring you can get away with until you think you are endangering yourself. This will be affected by each person’s playstyle+pet. And what ring it’s coupled with is very important.

So yep sure, give Resu a try and if you feel you’re suffering too much from inbound dmg, abandon it.

Out of interest I looked at the fame leaderboard and of the top 250 visible samurai there are only 5 resu wearers, these 5 pairing it with pyra, 2x sourcestone, lodestone and bracer. So it’d be not a very common choice, though possibly that’s only a comment on the rarity of Resu, and ofc don’t overinterpret anything from others’ RE pages.

I used an Acrop on my Samurai because it seemed better than a Fire Dragon Battle Armor, and I didn’t want to put my Resu on it when I have a Knight.
I don’t recommend Candy-Coated either, since you already have poor dexterity, and more range than the melees.

That said, Fire Dragon can still work if you pair it with a defensive ring, such as a Bracer or Pyra, I think.

I love Candy Armour, but only have one and am unwilling to grind that hell hole again. xD

I think I will try the Resu, thanks again Nenov! :slight_smile:

Pyra is a defensive ring? So far Acrop has been preferred by Nenov too, I think Imma try Resu then switch over if it lacks defensiveness.

one thing to keep in mind when picking low def armor options for samurai is that, unlike the other 3 melees, the armor is the only source of extra def compared to other classes. resu only has 17 def, the same as hydra and one less than wyrm. if you choose resu on a samurai, your samurai will be about as squishy as a ninja, nullifying one of the few reasons (imo) to use samurai over ninja. I would never use a low def armor on samurai, because if I were to do that I might as well be playing ninja, since ninja does far more damage with a katana, has long-range sb acquiring options in the form of a star, and isn’t quite so slow.

I would agree with some of the other guys in terms of armor. Acrop would tbh be my go to on samurai (Or dominion) since it has a pretty good def stat and no dps decreases. Katana is weak compared to sword, and the pierce and range are nice and all, but we need to remember that the samurai only has a dex of 50, and even though the att stat is at 75, at least the warrior can buff itself. Also, as with @Xaklor, the samurai does not have any extra def giving abilities, so some might use a straight up def ring. I would honestly agree with this, as the samurai is supposed to be a “tankier” version of the ninja in most situations.

Let me just say this about the samurai before i talk, the samurais debuff should have been to weaken enemies instead of introducing the most pointless debuff ive ever seen. Now that thats off my chest, samurai even with acrop is still very squishy. Maxed with acrop it has a whopping 49 defense, oof. In my opinion samurai should at least have 30 max base def like a pally, it only makes sense. Then at least it would be like a pally that cant heal. At LEAST. But for armor cc isnt a bad choice if u dont mind less dps, but many players prefer acrop. If u want to use acrop i reccomend a pyra, bracer or anything that gives health and def to at least get it to fifty something def. Other than that, acrop + hp ring is fine, but u would have trouble doing things like dungeon grinding, gland grinding or anything more pet demanding if u dont have a good pet in the first place

my ideal choice would be acrop/dominion
with no other def boosting stats (no higher cap max, no ability defense) its a good idea to get a bit more defense with the standard armor build
if you have a really good pet, on the other hand, a resu would be fine (you heal like crazy) but then your pet would mp heal you real fast anyway, kind of nullifying the reason of even having a resu

Acrop again :heart:

The consensus clearly gravitates towards Acrop. Considering my pet is a rare (yikes… I’ll fix this soon my frens)… I’ll put the resu away. Thank you very much for your help.

@moderators
Please close, RE has answered another CM Noob Q.