"Selling X Y Z for OP"

…I just don’t get it.
If you’re gonna sell for OP, people are just gonna buy it on Realmeye, what’s even the point?

They’re just losers who think the word OP means “Okay Price.”

Also…“BUYING FOR OP”

You head for your vault, get the item, and go back, eager to sell it.

brings an abby to OP
Two things that might happen:

1. tries trading crap t10 shit
  2. gladly trades me 3 atts and sky (actually happened today :o)

Basically selfish dicks with nothing better to do.

it actually somewhat works as a merching technique (i think)(ive never done it)

Guys I’m a YouTuber that is Merching! Give me op deals and be in a video!

Another failed merching technique like “Selling X FAST” as if it will make the process any faster.

Disagree. If the offer is good enough, the word fast forces a sense of urgency.

(e.g., Lambo Winter sale 40% off on all cars! Sale ends by 1/12; buy fast - some people interested in buying a lambo would stop humming and hawwing about whether or not they should, and just go buy it before they run out of time.)

Ofc, this wouldn’t work if there was a honda civic sale, “only 100K SELL FAST”

But I think you get my point. For similar reasons, readability on signs is important; people in USW3 who spam SELLINGABBYS1MANA3DEFOROFFER@ME really don’t get very far.

I think it is just to get attention. When you see OP, you look at it. You are more likely to trade them (in theory), simply because they have the item you want and you saw theirs first, because your eye was drawn to OP.

WHY DO PEOPLE SAY “SELLING FOR OVERPAY”!??1??! YOU ARE ACKNOWLEDGING THAT YOU KNOW THE PRICE BUT YOU WANT MORE THAN THE PRICE. WHY TRY TO TRADE FOR MORE THAN THE ACTUAL PRICE WHEN PEOPLE WILL JUST GO TO SOMEONE SELLING FOR THE NORMAL PRICE! YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME AND EVERYONE ELSE’S BRAIN CELLS.

The first comment

While this may work on something in real life if you’re trying to point out a limited-time offer, that kind of goes without saying in RotMG. Whatever people are claiming to sell is in limited supply, probably just one or maybe two of whatever they’re offering. They say “FAST” even if nobody cares about their offer as if it will suddenly make people become interested. They also tend to get very frustrated after a while when nobody trades them.

The difference is what you’re saying is that you’re SELLING CHEAP; which means that you win no matter what. Compared to RotMG: why buy an att for 4 dex if someone is eventually gonna sell for 3? This “Selling for OP” thing only works if there’s scarcity.

Please note that that post was a reply to Toastrz, not a reply to the OP. This has nothing to do with your post.

But regarding the OP, my thoughts:

People only say SELLING X Y Z for OP because they are merchers. Rarely do people say selling atk for OP in PURE POTS; they are looking for OP in ITEMS.
The logic behind the message:

I am a mercher. I buy low and sell high. Right now, I have a mana pot. But I don’t really know what to sell it for. Should I sell for 4 def? 1 inc? 4 att? 8 spd? 2 Skys? A Top? But which top? So I put this sign up: “SELLING MANA FOR OP”. That should cover most possible offers… A white star strolls by, rolling in wealth and just looking for a way to dump his useless old tops for pots to get his 6/8 to an 8/8. He sees my message, and understands “Oh, he wants OP in pots/items.”

The trade offer is sent and accepted. The rich fella offers def + elder + agate + mith, in an attempt to just get the mana. Easily calculated: elder ~ 1 def, agate ~1-2 def, mith ~1-2 def. Any mercher would know that it is a reasonable deal. And a desperately poor mercher is more than willing for such a deal; after all it is like selling a mana for ~4 def: a great payoff.

And there you have it, the logic behind such signs.