Should realm move away from being f2p?

I dont think realm should go full p2p. Because even if it only costs 1 zimbabwean dollar (which is nothing btw) it will still push people away from the game. They might not know how to make an online purchase (imagine kids relying on their parents to buy them stuff) or they might just be too lazy to make the purchase. I do think that getting rid of bots is crucial for the games survival longterm and giving deca another source of income might allow them to cut back on Kabam’s shitty monetization. Also, if people have to pay an entrance fee they will expect something of quality, and the servers aren’t really the pinnacle of that to say the least. I think a good balance will be a free, but more restrictive version of realm (like the guest account we have now) and then have a 2.99$ version as having a normal account with some free goodies and having a 9,99$ account with 2 extra vault chests and character slots, a free exclusive skin and some other stuff.

So in other words the beginners pack?

EDIT: I won’t be able to pay for a P2P realm :sweat_smile: I have to rely on my parents to make online purchases because I don’t have my own card.
However, I think this could be good if the cost to makr a new account is just right. If it’s too cheap (50 cents/pence), people unable to make online purchases will be unable to play but RWT sites making hundreds of dollars will easily be able to pay for new accounts. Too high, and if RWT sites have a lot of money they can still make profit for a while but the game would be locked behind a giant pay wall.

An interesting concept, all in all.

Personally, I do agree that it shouldn’t be completely P2P, since that makes it tougher for potential new players to pick it up. That said, if a fee were to be charged to pick a name and get the full game, I can imagine that also being a bit of a downside to some players.
Possibly a seperate demo version of the game, with a simple, singleplayer client of sorts - with some keys being unlocked, perhaps, to give players a taste of dungeons…

At this point, I tried to add an extra section to the tutorial. Unfortunately, this meant that I had to recreate the existing one in Tiled, and that’s already taken up plenty of my time now. Just. idk.

What about the white star Eati :cry:

Personally, I wouldn’t mind the bots and all their chat messages if it gives me the capability to make accounts without payback as much as I want and store my worthy items in them.

If you wanna make this game P2P, you should remake it from scratch which is a quite long way to implement.

I don’t know how long it took for you guys to get your first white bag ever, but I can say it took for me at least to quit the game for a few times and then return. RotMG was tough for me to play when I’m new (yes, this is up to all the games but RotMG is unusual and different). First of all, it is a 2(.5)D game, and the graphics and effects are not hearty until I’m happy when I see a white bag and the beautiful item(s) in it.

In the current state of the game, it is not really recommended to make it P2P while I’ve only 8 slots in my inventory. It is actually a small game and it shouldn’t be P2P. I don’t THAT MUCH care about the bots anyway, you guys should have gotten used to them already.

I think even a 99 cent fee would be enough to deter advertisers.

I understand all your points make however it’s not possible and would destroy the small amount of new players that join the game. The game itself is already very noob unfriendly in the means that unless you have multiple vault slots, char slots and a good pet you can’t actually experience what it’s like to properly enjoy the game. You can’t run around dungeons and tank a couple small shots here and there because your pet can’t heal you back up in time and you end up dying or nexus’ing. I’ve already told so many of my friends who wanted to get into realm that unless they are prepared to spend serious $$$ for a good pet then they won’t get to enjoy the game at all and it’s not worth it, you can’t simply grind in-game items to trade for gold to purchase vaults or char slots so at one point or another you run into that paywall to progress/experience the game more.

A couple reasons why p2p would not work for realm is, spam bots are not made by regular users, they are not made by someone who simply wants to spam messages in nexus. The spam bots are created by owners of RMT websites which are pulling in hundreds of $$$ a day from their duping exploits. If you are crazy to think that they wouldn’t pay some cash to populate the servers with more bots to advertise then you are very wrong.
Secondly notifiers and notifier bots will never be shut down regardless of implementing a purchase fee, these bots are hardly detectable as they just pull info from the server and relay it back to whatever platform the notifier is on, so you wouldn’t be able to ban it as it isn’t actively spamming chat like the advertisement bots.

Also @AnakinSolo a 99 cent fee would be pocket change and most definitely not deter advertisers. They make much more than you appear to think they do.

I am however highly in support of keeping everything F2P as is but to implement requirements for accounts to be able to use some of the features such as the whisper feature and being able to talk in nexus etc. Star level hasn’t worked and probably will never work so I think there should be other requirements like purchasing gold of a certain value or other validation methods that can’t be easily achieved by someone fame botting advert bots.

Pay2Play would ruin the game. If it was so, I believe the new players will DRAMATICALLY decrease. It is not the most known or popular game in general. Its only known for being a unique bullet hell game rpg thats FREE. That status quo would be lost permanently. It would decrease profits, thus resulting in the game being closed again or most likely even closed.

yeah but the amount of players in that game category is quite low, and its not like rotmg is a very thriving game rn either. And corrrect me if im wrong, but most tend to be free as well.

And he said something about old acc still existing, then i could just sell my mules for cheaper than it is to play the game

also mules rip.

???

What? In what way does Deca need RWT bots in literally any capacity at all?

RWT isn’t a good thing for Deca, it isn’t overall a bad thing as most things you’d want to buy from them are soulbound, but they definitely don’t bring in any profit to Deca.

I’ve also known new players to get annoyed by the complete inability to use the Nexus due to bots so they decide to not even start playing the game.

rip eati

True. The RWT sites make bank, but how many of them would continue to pay to make accounts for advertisement on every server. Maybe 99 cents is just pocket change, but I would still want the price to play realm to be low. If 99 cents doesn’t work then it could be slowly raised until even the big dogs remove their propaganda.

The player base for indie mmo’s aren’t low by any means… though the number dwindles compared to a playerbase like tf2’s. While some games are completely free to play, most use a pay wall, p2p, or micro transaction system. Realm falls into the latter, albeit fairly.

Hmmm realm’s playerbase is pretty sizable actually. About 83381, and if we grandiosely subtract an estimation of the bots, we’re left with about 77,000 active players. I take back my earlier statement… tf2’s average player count is between 56,000 and 97,000… I really underestimated realm’s playerbase!

When did Realm become free to play?

I dont think making swastikas in nexus shows signs of sanity

Just give them one of your existing mule accounts lol.

Yes, but that’s not his point.

Yes, but think of it this way. If it cost just like $1, than all the 12 ear old would stop being toxic/trolling, because they actually paid to join the community.

Nice new profile :slight_smile: like your old one better though.

uhhhh, where is the evidence for this? If you could have everything in a game, everything is boring.

Yes, but RWT need hundreds of bots due to players blocking them as they step in. even 10 cents, is too much for them because they need to cycle through.