The General Chat Thread

neither of the essays were free response, so i didn’t write about rotmg
also, i don’t think i get credit for failed tests, which kinda sucks

Don’t worry too much about it. I didn’t have any college credits going into freshman year and I still graduated in the planned 8 semesters. I had to take a couple more classes every time around, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. It did mean that I went a couple years barely touching RotMG, but that kind of thing happens. One great thing about RotMG is that sometimes it is even better to come back after a big break because of the added content!

What do you hope to study? Any idea on location yet?

the college credits dont really bug me, its just that i didnt do as good as i expected.

honestly idk, maybe something math or science related cause i’m best at that

My 2 breaks in a nutshell

Please for your own sake, don’t go into college with this mindset. College is expensive and about 90% of the people that go there have no business being there and end up just screwing up there lives for a piece of paper that sits on the wall and looks pretty. If you go into college, have a plan on what you want to do (you’ll be miserable otherwise), and also know that it’s something that can actually get you a job (so many majors out there are absolutely worthless). There’s nothing wrong with taking a gap year and just working a job for the year, and there’s also nothing wrong with not going to college as it’s only actually needed for a couple jobs out there and there’s plenty of good jobs that don’t need it. Of course if math and science are things you legitimately want to do, that’s fine, those are good majors to have, I just don’t want you to jump into college because your teachers and parents and everyone else around you expects you to.

(posting reply here @Seelpit because I felt it would be large derail in that topic)

What the game needs to do, for better scaling is:

1. ignore level 1-19 players completely from the scaling:

Then situations with 3x level 20 player and 12x levellers, for example, no longer gets scaling of 15, but a much fairer 3. Sure, you could cheese this with maxing under level 20 but that is a price worth paying.

1. then for level 20 players, assess how maxed they are:

I believe the way the scaling works now is it looks at who is in the realm/dungeon and does 1+1+1+1+… to count the players, then scales to the total. (similar to when we do /c or /who it tells us the total playercount)

So I think how you’d do this, to avoid the server being overloaded with doing complex calculations for every boss and being potatofied, would be to create a stat for the character, in the background, call it something like Power, that tracks how far % maxed you are. Then the game would be doing 0.5+0.1+1+1+0.4+… to count the playerpowers, to produce a smarter number to scale to. (we could even do /p or /power to directly see the total playerpower of our group).

It would need some brainpower to program it right because you wouldn’t want the game constantly checking up with operations on the fly (“how maxed are they?”, “how about now?”, “and now?”…), it would want to be a simple stat on our char. This is where I draw a line to end the reply because there’s a few alternate methods but it would be pointless theorising to type it all out for only a “would be nice if the game did this” when it sounds from rumours like they’re already doing something to improve scaling.

I couldn’t agree more. I went into college studying engineering not because I wanted to be a engineer, but because I liked math and people told me that if I want a good job and I enjoyed math I should study engineering. I chose mechanical engineering specifically not because it was the most interesting, but because it was the most broad and I hoped that something I enjoyed would fall under that umbrella.

Well, I very quickly figured out that I absolutely did NOT want to be a mechanical engineer, but then I felt pretty stuck because I had already spent tens of thousands of dollars.

Fortunately it all ended well in my case because now I am working my dream job, but a of people in my same situation dropped out or switched majors a few times. One of my good friends persevered and graduated on time, but then quit his 75K job less than 2 years later because he couldn’t stand it. You don’t want to end up in that situation if you can avoid it.

@Laserquest take the time you have before college very seriously. If there is a job you are interested in pursuing, try to find someone that will let you shadow them so you can see what their day-to-day life really looks like. Don’t just look at stats like how much entry-level jobs pay, it really doesn’t matter that much. I make 15K less than a lot of people I graduated with, but I seriously love my job. In my books, I came out way, way ahead.

If you don’t mind me asking, (though from the way you allude to it quite a bit, yet never name it, it seems like you don’t want to reveal it) what is your job?

@Lily what happened to the lullaby lute?

yeah that’s what i’m worried about too. i don’t want to work a job that i don’t enjoy, but the problem is, i don’t have a job that i want to do that i know i’ll really enjoy.

If you read the patchnotes, you would’ve known it was made into the lute that now drops from Nut.

H-hey guys? D-did… did someone hack the trading portion of the wiki? Or is it just a colossal failure of my device?
We’ve been tricked, we’ve been backstabbed, and we’ve been, quite possibly, bamboozled!

Trading section looks fine to me.

is that some kind of copypasta?

This is what it looks like for me, even after waiting a while and refreshing…? (Sorry for the spam)

I think realmeye uses some automated process to add items directly from the XML and that is doing something it shouldn’t

What is a copypasta? Stealing an online quote from someone? I’m uncultured, forgive me.

Nothing out of the ordinary on my end.

It’s neat freak out, except I can’t use the site now.

I believed you, not to worry! :slight_smile: