The History Thread

This thread is going to be for all history discussion

Have a yearning to discuss a particular event or set of events in history well then feel free too

Maybe you want help rememberig a particular date and what happened on it well someone might be able to assist you

history

I really want to know people’s opinions on the Treat of Versailles. Do you think that if Germany had any lesser of a punishment would have it prevented WW2 and Hitler’s rise to power or were Germans there no way to satisfy Germans and to prevent tens of millions dead?

:cookie: :doughnut: :ice_cream:
I like treats

Edit:i definitely agree that germany was overpunished, big factor of why ww2 started

But then should have countries just let it go? They suffered huge damages and the public would gone crazy mad (it went even with the punishment)

The start. The treaty of Versailles had many things in it it that Germany did not follow. Such a deconstruction of many of their higher ranking military personal but they kept many of them on secret. And allowing foreign powers to occupy their land, they encouraged people in those areas not to comply with the occupation

The worst thing to happen to Germany is the economical toll but again this was not overly harsh

Germany did in fact escalate what was a local central European war to a world War by invading neutral Belgium among other things

Germany also committed atrocities involving chemical weapons and mass executions. So they did not show honor in the war

I think it’s possible that Germany would of not started ww2 itself but I don’t think ww2 would of not happened. Perhaps Hitler would never rise to power but you still had Japan Italy and the Soviet Union who would of ended up starting ww2 anyways

Even if Germany was spared having to pay reparations, it’s likely that a hitler like figure would rise because the country had been in horrible shape even without the treaty of Versailles

I have a question for you lot. This is similar to my essay prompt from my exam yesterday. Do you think that the urban poor of the late 19th century were any better off than the peasants of the early 16th century in Europe?

Thanks god I dont have to go to school anymore.

The 16th century and 19th century saw large scale war in Europe like any century honestly.

Thought life in the 19th was much better due advancements in medicine and science.

As well people no longer would burn you to a stake over religion. Or at least if they did it was not a common event .

Society is one of the biggest changes that occurred for the better there was definitely less of a hierarchy

Higher availability of food and not so dependent on merely their farms to feed their families

They could look to their rulers for help and actually get it in many occasions but times were still very bad in a lot of Europe

Well…
it’s an opinionated question
so as long as you can provide evidence for your side (or something) you should be ok.

Speaking of WWI
In AP Euro we just finished the major alliances of the 1890s and how they set up the stage for WWI

Japan won World War 17

Same :stuck_out_tongue:

Year 400 to 1400

Ewwwwwww dark ages :face_vomiting:

Anything before 1450 I dont care about.

I think it’s more complicated then what might be taught in school

Goes back to the Franco Prussian war I would say that is what sewed the seeds of war and ethic tensions in the Balkans even without alliances I think the war would not happened

Dark ages for Europe maybe but the Asia saw a large influx in science in art

And the 400s is before the “dark age”

Bismark tried to make alliances to isolate France (by allying with russia)
He got fired,William II broke that alliance, and then the Triple Alliance vs Triple Entente was a thing.

what about the roman empire

Those alliances never made Germany invade beligum. They got that idea in their head from military success against France in the Franco Prussian war that they would be able to win a continental European war

Germany was the only strong country in that alliance the Ottomans had more rebellions then they knew what to do with and the Bulgaria had little pull in the tide of the war and the rest of the lot were merely soldiers to thrown upon the front lines to be butchered with severely outdated militaries

randomly intruding here, but the novel im reading “the world online” talks a lot of crap about china military history.

Both those things you stated were in my textbook.

The balkan wars and serbian desire to create a greater serbian state which would include Austro-Hungarian territory built tensions there, and the penalties imposed on France by Bismarck after the Franco-Prussian as well as Wilhelm being crowned at Versailles agitated and humiliated France. The terms Bismarck imposed then in many ways mirrored the terms imposed on Germany by the treaty of Versailles.
Russia was also humiliated when the Berlin conference reduced its balkan gains.

So yeah, my history class did cover that.

:face_vomiting: