The "problem" with discords

Discords are not a problem. Hackers in them are. Discords serve as a more time-effective option to grinding realms, and allow less experienced players to run endgame content. Hackers in these discords are the real problem. they give discords a bad rep, and make speedruns/normal runs unfair in speed compared to non-hacking discords. I f you are using a hacked client. there is no reason to use discords to run endgame dungeons, when, due to your hacks, you could just easily go perma-invincible and solo it. Discords that benefit from hackers are in the same boat for me. when i talk about discords, i am talking about ones like SBC, passage of life, or crown hunters. they do not use hackers to their adantage and instead are just there to benefit the community in doing efficient, TOS-friendly runs. I’d advise using those discords instead of ones that are known to use hackers to their advantage, i.e. pub halls or shatters.

(as if yoda was trying to say hackers are in them)

The issue many people have with discords isn’t specifically WRT to discords, but rather that they suck some of the fun out of the game. I don’t think they always suck, but when you do them all day - that’s another story. Additionally (and this is more specific to me but I’m sure some others agree) I don’t much care for being lorded over by a discord raid leader and sometimes having to put up with their cringe, unfunny jokes, or strange takes etc. No offense to some of the younger players out there, but I’ve been playing this game for what’s getting close to 9 or 10 years now and I have a much lower tolerance to BS than I started with - especially coming from players who could be much younger than me.

(Now to change this to something Yoda might say! Read it in his voice:)

Cringe worthy, but I had fun with that!

there are a lot less hackers in those discords compared to ones like pub or shatters

The problem with raid discords is that they exist

discords are fundamentally a larger guild. With more people, comes more requirements for doing the runs, less banter and a not as tight community. This allows for the scum of the earth known as haxors to drip in through the cracks. Haxing is bad for your health. This is a known fact. Now, not all rls are bad people, in fact id say most of them arent. Also, most of them personally don’t use hacks - nor do they support them. Many servers claim to be hacker-neutral - this is the problem. Even when messaging the security with proof of players hacking (Like this idiot applying to crown hunters with a screenshot of his hacked client), which I sent to a couple of securities, they said that they personally can’t do anything about it since the server’s rules state that they can’t ban for it. However, they did urge me to report to deca. I see here as it is not the individual player, but the entity of the server as a whole that needs a rework. Just as the dungeons should get reworked, so should Discords. There are a few problems with this - unless you have a picture of their client, there is no 100% way to guarantee that a player is hacking. There may be some very suspicious nexuses, very odd shit going on but the fact is, there is no way to prove it. That is the fundamental problem. Therefore, the securities will be spammed with all of that shit and they can’t handle it all - since they can’t outright ban w/o reaching the players if they dont have 100% conclusive proof. In such an event, I am not sure what they can do to help root out the hackers. But perhaps personal dms/screenshots and such, public graveyards (like sebchoof suggested) could be an idea to, maybe not foolproof but add a layer to protection to the reputation of discords. To get down to the crux of this, Discords aren’t bad things destroying the game. But they definitely need tweaks and things to help improve the game. They do teach newer players the phases at the very least, while not forcing them to lose over 100s of characters to learn those. With some heals and such, they can progress further and therefore learn more about said bossfights. Now. The people that keep saying in nexus that discords are the reason they don’t get keypops are fucking stupid. Here is why; No one owes them a keypop. It’s so damn entitled that I want to bleach my eyes. Yes, they are popping for a server, and maybe without said server they would pop in nexus; but in said server things are more efficient, most of the players are more appreciative (whether by urge of the rl or not) than players in nexus (think of the low-lifes that ask the rusher to speed up when they leech the whole time). There are incentives to pop in servers, since those servers, whether you respect the fact or not, has helped the player at one point or another. I owe many discord servers a big thank you for teaching me how to run the dungeon, to the point that I can run them publicly/without an RL, or even lead smaller groups. This does not mean I tolerate hacking or hack in any way. Again, what OP said was great, and Pubhalls/Shatts could certainly do a bit of weeding out to improve their advantage, but my point was to make clear that we shouldn’t go headhunting any rls from said discords simply because they are staff. Do more runs in the dungeons, record those, and find out who the hackers are, find sympathetic RLs, and report to deca. We aren’t going to be able to get the trash out of the game by staying away from them. But with a couple people willing to go in and take the trash out, the hackers will have more to fear and will perhaps change their ways, and hopefully, if the new ways that Deca employs to tackle bots are effective, newer players won’t have such bad influences and we can actually have a healthy community. But this is realm after all, ay

Something about Yoda saying cringey is absolutely hilarious.

WTH is this big text wall??? Let me fix that for you.

All that said, my problem is the relative lack of players in the Realms, especially the dedicated new players. There’s a reason USW2/3 (whatever the trading server was at a given time) was my home server for years, and it wasn’t because of the trading, primarily.

I would take a Discord over the key pop ledger gang, but the old ways of exploring dungeons and trying to conquer them as a Realm was my favorite part of the game. Ah, and teaching…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.