The Slow Event Chest Nerfing

I never post on the forums but I thought I’d make a post talking about the event chests.

I remember in the summer of 2018 there was a huge uproar over the Cnidarian Reef chest. Players tried so hard to get the ‘Reptile Hunter’ and felt disappointed. Deca released an apology regarding the drop rates and gave us the best chest event we have ever seen (the wlab event).

It is my personal opinion that Deca went back on their promise. Over the many months I played it appears that the drops from the event chests have slowly declined. Not only have they been slowly taking away precious items such as random legendary skins (and the extremely rare vault unlocker), but the white drop rates have declined as well.

Like a frog in a pot of water Deca has slowly turned up the temperature.

Flash forward to the current Davy event. The drop rates are extremely bad and the boss is dropping more whites than the chest.

I understand that this is my rng experience. However I feel confident In saying that the drops are not as good as they were before.

This brings up 2 key (pun intended) issues. First, it means you need to grind more to get the item that you want. Second, it makes players less likely to purchase keys. Why should I bother purchasing Davy keys when I can spend less gold on a mystery box and get the pet skin / character skin that I wanted in the first place?

I just want to know what happened to the rotmg players and why they don’t seem to be as upset about the drops as they were in the summer.

While I disagree with the davy chest, I do agree with the rest of your points. I’ve noticed the last 3 weeks of event chests have seemed rather empty, so to speak. I mean, I soloed like 4 parasites during that chest event and I got 0 every time. I mean, wth is that?!

The davy chest seems to have moderate drop rates in my opinion. Personally, I have gotten more whites from the chest than the boss during this event but like the last few weeks, the chest seems mostly empty overall.

I’m comparing this Davy event to the most recent Davy event in my discussion. That event dropped so many sb lifes and lots of daggers (although the prism was not in the chest).

When you look at the current Davy event they added the prism but removed the life (in my opinion this is a nerf).

The Oryx chest is also another example. One of the original oryx chests contained Decas but they have removed the Deca from the drop table. The current chest drops much less valuable items.

Bottom line is the events seem to slowly be getting worse.

Fair point.

I was comparing the davy chest exclusively to other chest events this year so far, all of which have been lackluster.

And yes, I agree that the event chests are getting progressively worse.

I think your post is a good summary of things.
Only thing that I disagree with is it doesn’t feel like they’re turning up the temperature :fire:, but that they’re cooling it down :snowflake:, with the recent events reducing to a x2 of the boss loot, plus standard “other” event items: mpots/FP/and 0.000000 chance of some vanity skins.

Under this, the event effectively becomes simply “do you like this dungeon?” either for the bossloot, or the dungeon itself, and if the answer is “yes” you’ll enjoy the event, if “no” it’s a waste of time.

Eg. on a couple of recent ones:
The tomb one seemed okay, cause tomb itself is a good dungeon w/ lots of possible variety in the bossfight, and potential peril, almost all of the loot is desirable.
Davy bossfight is one of THE dullest fights in Rotmg, so any event in there is mindnumbing boring as literally rolling dice in front of your monitor and calling that a “game”.

One of the huge problems with doing these events is because everyone has their own idea about what is fun, what is “good for the game” etc. that it’s entirely subjective, and it could well be a different section of the playerbase upset at one event vs another. Eg. I was very happy to see Ogmurs getting handed out in that one event; others raged at it. I don’t like continual repeated use of the Court dungeons in events; others do.

So it might be the loudest complainers from before actually like the current situation with the events. And ofc some of the dissenters will have actually quit or drifted away, so their voices are no longer heard. Anyone new in Deca-era will only know this type of Rotmg, so if they stick around, they must enjoy it.

Edit: I liked it when the event chest had some random specific skin in, at a pretty good rate; the madfarmers could get multiples of them and feed, and most people would at least be able to get 1x of them to feel that they’d ‘won’ somehow the event. But really the event chests need to go away as it’s a terrible concept for longevity of the core game.

Make it good and people complain. Make it bad and people complain. We the community are the ones at fault for this.

I got a single mystery potion from the chests across ~7 nests and ~35 Davies, got 3 spirit daggers from boss in that time.

Could also just be my luck but even the ‘shitty’ drops are nonexistent.

People complained that motmg was lackluster in terms of loot because they got spoiled from all the good chest events deca did.

They’re probably doing this to make MotMG and holiday events be more exciting/better without breaking the game.

I think that this is a huge reason why I liked some of the original events so much. The extra skins were a great source of reliable pet feed.

I would prefer fewer chest events with more robust drops personally.

How do you think Deca should address the issue of pet food? If you take away the chest events, there’s essentially no way to get above ~1200 feed in the game.

I mean, I still have plenty of whites from months past from when there was a Davy event. I don’t see why the chest has to barf out more whites when they aren’t needed.

You can pay money for higher fp. I’m f2p and I never saw that as a problem. It still surprises me that Deca gives away ambrosias in event chests and the login calendar.

Personally I am not complaining of the drop rates because I’m a bit bored and tired of chaining dungeons. I have multiples (15+) of the whites of the most common event dungeons, and I am too noob to do the harder ones (too many people = lag and confusion = dead kittie)
As I said somewhere else, I’d like better, less frequent events, with something really small in between just b/c it’s a weekend.
Also now Valentine’s is coming and I hope we get something better for that: it’s a totally legitimate non-Hallmark holiday! :two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:

But then why bother doing the event? As Nevov said, Davy is boring. Nest on the other hand is quite challenging and lots of amazing characters are dying for a chance at a t10 katana.

These events are meant to attract players and I’m surprised that people are still out there grinding them in their current state.

Removing the feed doesn’t hurt the old players nearly as much as it hurts the newer players.

Deca should be trying to get fresh blood into the game.

Taking away pet food drops that previously existed will just push those newer players away.

Meanwhile older players like myself will spend the gold on the ambrosia mystery box instead of the weekly chest event.

Everyone loses.

I mean, I think there’s an agreeable middle ground between T10 Katana and handing out a vault of “rare” white bags.

There is not.

I’m just so burnt out off the weekend chest events. No one is in realm anymore, playing the game; everyone’s running dungeons on the weekends, and the now weekly chest events are becoming more of a menial task, than something I look forward to.

^^

They happen far too frequently and have such low drop rates and almost no good drops of interest anymore, they need to start doing more of the red bag events or multi-boss events.

Maybe instead of making chests any more they should just choose like one or two dungeons and up their drop rates a little bit, they also need to be choosing end-game dungeons more than all of these davy or wlab chests, Shatters, LH, and Nest need to be included in these far more frequently, Maybe add a mark to LH during events (or permanently, it should have a quest.) and run an “end-game” red bag event, giving out mostly good items for 2 or 3 of each dungeon’s marks.

i mean since they happen every week, they really dont need to be high. sure giving a rainbow or two and some trash feed would be nice. I feel like chest drop rates for whites should be ~=~ to the boss drop rate.

I think chest events are fine, if they happened less frequently. Events should happen for a reason, not randomly every weekend.