Describe Your Playstyle [or that of others]

There’s been countless threads in the past about ‘who is the best RotMG player’ and you know how those eventually boil down to: massive circle-jerks and meaningless rhetoric.

Instead of having those types of discussions again, I’m changing it up and asking y’all to describe your own play-style in a short phrase, and perhaps give a little blurb explaining why. You can also comment on other players, preferably those who record.

I’ll comment on a few stand-out players,

Kalle: Utopianistically Authoritative
Widely adored and heavily criticized, everyone may have different opinions about the bloke but he’s undoubtedly skilled. The way he treated his fans certainly didn’t grant him the fame he once had and actually still retains to this day. At one point, Kalle had an auto-ignore script for people who PM’d him. Some argue that his fame came from the high-profile notoriety of MAFIA or resulted from being one of the ‘original youtubers’ but I think that there was something intrinsic about his playstyle that appealed to ‘lower-class’ denizens like myself. As Dalla said in his AMA a while back,

[Kalle, AntiLOL and MIKADO] have just very appealing playstyles when you’d watch them go about things.

While Kalle definitely isn’t the best player of all time, he played with such authority and certainty - almost academic in nature - the way he calmly approached each obstacle with perfect technique and form. There used to be a saying, ‘Kalle never uses HP pots’, and the very nature of publishing his “I die too” video, is that the guy had an immortal, invincible aura that branded his name. From the strict way his characters were played (14 fame character, all dyed the same, 14 backups and some extras) to the methodical way he farmed in the ‘Fill the Vault’ videos, there was something appealing about the sense of control and safety that his viewers gravitated towards. It was the disillusionment of an idealistic ‘utopia’, a created facade to which his viewers strove to achieve that made his gameplay so unique. Kalle always won in the eyes of his viewers.

BTEL: Transcendental

A legendary player with vast knowledge, BTEL knows all the ins and outs of the Shatters. Nobody who records videos even comes close in terms of deeds, with BTEL possessing the title of fastest solo, fastest duo (with PaIras), fastest [and probably only] petless solo and most classes soloed. Yet his gameplay is too allusive for the average player; while Kalle did have a legendary pet in the end days of his realm days, he played pre-pets and did NPE’s. BTEL’s divine pet creates a sort of disconnect with his audience, hence why I chose the word ‘transcendental’. Things like tanking a full Ice Adept shotgun while standing perfectly still and getting down to half health is too obscure and abstract for the majority of his audience but creates a kind of ‘god-like’ status.

The ‘Elitist Crew’; Superciliously Adept

Although arrogant, these guys have a certain reckless type of playstyle that’s very entertaining to watch. From crazy switch rushes to screwed-up third boss, there’s a certain adrenaline-inducing feeling you get but also a certain moral predicament you face when you see some of the less cordial, distasteful stuff some of them do (like killing others). They’re unsurprising elitists: a person who believes that a system or society should be ruled or dominated by an elite.

Mrunibro: Deft and Fluttery

His winning petless arena entry really intrigued me, and I found his dodging very satisfying to watch. The way he jukes out the quiet pink lizard things is extremely well executed and the spastic jerks are really quite pleasant. You’re like a butterfly @Mrunibro , a flippin’ deadly one.

UnicornSla: Amateur
I’m just bad, and take risks that are far out of my league :wink:

(Sorry if nothing makes sense, I’m supposed to be doing English but ended up doing this instead… so I inserted fancy words galore to make myself feel better xD)

(And yes, this is hardcore fanboying…judge me accordingly)

Opinion on Regulars

Everything you’ve typed out made my brain flatten.

Aw thanks, hopefully it’s good enough to pull off a 90 in English ;).

Though that reminds me, I have to type up my actual essay due tomorrow… fml

Just an essay? I have to write out a business plan, minimum 3 paged 12 sized font no double space for my Entrepreneur class, due date tomorrow. I’d totally switch places with you t -t.

No, that’s just for English :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Still got a lab due (haven’t started), calc quiz and calc assignment.

The essay’s pretty long too, 5 page double-spaced and it’s on The Great Gatsby, linguistic af.

It’s very difficult to say who is exactly the best in RotMG, and it depends on the criterias.
Many can say by not dying while actively playing the game is indeed the best, while others think that getting the most rare white bags can be deemed as successful. It is quite biased that all your examples are point at the person who is most successful in earning fame on youtube by playing realm.

The better players should be able to fully understand the attack pattern of enemies to determine the strategies which we deploy to prevent from dying.

Well… that wasn’t the intent of this discussion at all.

The few players I commented on are by no means a “list of top 10 players”, I just wanted to describe their playstyles for the fun of it.

That’s an interesting one. Here’s mine: do whatever is needed to have fun. If it’s dying, so be it.

Wanna elaborate? Do you take huge risks regularly? Know a lot of tricks and stuff? What needs to be done to have fun?

Uh… Yours was pretty short, I thought I could get away with a short one too. But ok: I don’t like setting myself in one playstyle. Sometimes I wanna take risks, sometimes I wanna play meticulously safe. I can have fun both ways. And I definitely do not know any tricks and/or stuff.

Now that is the million dollar question, ain’t it?

I guess that’s fair, mine was short on purpose because I don’t really have anything interesting to talk about ;P.

Not skilled enough nor risky enough, just kinda your average, mediocre RotMG player. I guess you could say my style is more on the ‘smooth’ side; I like to use my camera-rotate more than WASD so my character moves quite smoothly.

I occasionally use EP only wizard for fun, @Wawawa @XxxFREExxx could get some comments in there :smile:

Edit: @Mrunibro I got you 4 views for ur video, fri itenz plz.

NPESWAGGY: Gets a bunch of rare whites in quick succession on 0/8 characters, dies a ton, generally sucks at maxing, and takes way to many risks.

As everyone should already know, since I’m sure I’ve mentioned it many times on forums(Plus my RealmEye description) My main character is the knight. I love him, his high defense, his armor…so much defense…fast healing with that 75 vit…basically OP…Anyways. I play him recklessly, I think of myself as the herioc knight running around glands and slaying the dangerous creatures! Priests are what I live for, teleporting to a priest and using my high defense to block the bullets that would have penetrated into their holy skins…giving them any extra pots that I have on me, since I know the struggle the priests have in getting loot. Who cares about the other characters, I will always defend the priest <33 With my life.

Uhh, ok, lets go

Scorchmist - Has utterly no skill without pets or even doing npes. Is able to rush almost everything on every class with a few exception for squishy classes and high class dungeons. Often rules by the theory of “Risk over reward”, being not afraid to nexus even if i am the only person in the tomb who can rush/do rages. Utterly bad a squishing in between the shots of a shotgun. Often plays for more safety than pleasure, never doing O2 on melee, rarely doing epic jungle and cave. Hates farming things other than sewer and abysses. (rip planewalker and dbow). A player who is constantly looking at his hp bar. When playing range classes, i get lots of pots in glands, while getting none with melee. A player that enjoys the weaker classes more than others (sorc,necro,assassin). A player that has a hard time switching between melee classes(eg. switching between warrior and knight or pala and warrior). One that often gets greedy which distrupts his whole playing style which causes me to get things like this.

edit: just noticed, all of those classes died at 4pm…

#My greatest skill -
Is the ability to play realm while doing other things. If you see my online, i am most likely in the ptrain. This is because i am also watching anime (which involves reading sub-titles and watching the animation), running in the last train, and shooting at gods. I haven’t intentionally died while fame training in over 3-4months.

JawsJakt: Good Enough

I can handle most of what the Realm has to offer, but I won’t ever reach the top due to giving my wealth away and restricting myself from things like fame trains. I’m not sure where I would be if I chose the opposite route but I know I don’t regret this because of the friends I’ve made and the people I’ve made smile. I’m hoping that my kindness rubs off on the people I play with.

You don’t have to be rich to be good, skill can mean you can have a 0/8 and be considered skillful.

Fame training doesn’t make you good, fame in no way reflects your skill.

I meant this as never reaching my full potential. 8/8, top equipment, and etc.
Fame trains for the pet levels.

EDIT: I appreciate your enthusiasm though, lol

Trofimowen -

Pros: Efficient, patient, and adaptive

Cons: Lazy, fuck you, where da white women at

I never (need to) use HP/MP potions, I’m Kalle!

Answering this question seriously, I think I play pretty conservatively despite an extensive knowledge of content and mechanics because

1. Having one character slot obviously makes my character more valuable, losing it means losing all of my ability to gain wealth.

2. I like to play more survival-friendly classes; see 1)

3. I actually did watch Kalle on youtube when I started to learn more about the game, notably his 40-episode archer NPE series. My memory of it is consistent with that of the OP - he was conservative but certain, and rarely got into situations that would merit drinking HP/MP potions.

I’m the Pharest of them all.