Odd Random Lag Spikes?

Is anyone else experiencing hard rubberbanding at random times while playing? I know it’s not my internet causing the problem, because everything else runs perfectly fine. It’s only Realm. I can play regularly for about 5-10 minutes, then I get really hard rubberband and I’m forced to close my game out (beings I can’t nexus). Just curious if I’m the only player being burdened by this.

yeah i just get it, but i regularly get rubber bands…

Yes. I’m no expert on this, but there is obviously something wrong with the servers. Some realms are completely bugging out, rubberbanding endlessly and moving around in the nexus. I hope Deca will look into this.

It’s very odd because it doesn’t disconnect me. It just rubberbands really hard for about 4 or 5 seconds then goes back to normal for another 5-10 minutes. Makes it impossible to play.

Moved to Bugs and Known Issues.

Just a quick question, has your ISP (internet service provider) been having issues with connections recently? This may be a cause for it, as I don’t get rubber bands frequently.

Maybe it’s cause I live in a country half the size of your backyard, so everyone gets good internet.

@UT can u pls stop bolding all ur words

If everyone else in the same realm has the lag, then it’s server lag, else it’s your connection.

Yes. Normally it will be obvious if other people experience it, either from watching them or from their comments. So if everything else seems normal when it happens then it’s probably you or something local to you.

You can enable the performance stats to get some idea about it: it’s an option in the settings. One of the stats is the latency, given as a number, which might act as a warning or help you identify the problem.

When it happens to me I just take a break and try again in a few hours. Playing at a different, quieter time can help.

First off, yes please do stop bolding your words, but secondly your @UT didn’t work, possibly because UT is in the index of mouse-over words (UT = untiered). When I add a comma after it, like this - @UT, then it works fine. @moderators is this a bug?

Nice catch, @ut works, but @UT won’t work unless there’s punctuation after it like @UT. or @UT% etc. @moderators

I play on steam and never get lag. I mean Never. Ever since the server restart a couple hours ago, I’ve been lagging like crazy!! The rubberbanding is awful! I have a high performance gaming computer (i5 6600k & gtx 970), and comcast internet with 100down and 10up.

The rubberbanding is awful as of late, doesn’t matter which server I’m on. And it’s only Realm with me too!

Had some of it earlier today, playing at a very quiet time. Each time was the same: a sudden spike of lag, net jitter gyrating around 500-600 (though that might be just a limit of the software as it felt worse), massive rubberbanding and black squares. After about a minute it returned to normal.

The first time was at the blobbomb phase of the Avatar. Thankfully everyone was already backing off so just kept going, and the Avatar was no-where dangerous.

The next three times were in a four person, then three person, Oryx. Each time oddly at his “time for more dancing” phase, so pretty safe to retreat. Then it happened once in his chase phase which was pretty scary.

Each time it was the server as three or more random unrelated characters all experienced it almost identically. It was EU West, which is my local server, only 150 miles away.

Mine is less than 40km and I’m rubber banding and lagging like shyt

interesting, i can use any severs other than asia and all of them feel the same to me.

This game runs about 3KB to 4KB per second of bandwidth, so you can run it with an old dial-up modem.

Causes of lag/rubberbanding can be:

Your computer
Your local internet
The path your data takes to get to the servers and any packet loss
The servers and/or their local internet
The path your data takes to get back to you and any packet loss
The game client itself

I get a freeze/lagspike every so often, for some reason they occur more frequently after a patch/update to the game. Some old players might remember that killer patch Kabam released where almost all mobs were shooting stacked shots, killing 8/8s by the scores, this was related to packet loss/freezing.

I strongly believe that it’s the game client and the servers having communication issues, missing and out-of-order packets(that get dropped) forces the game client and server to compensate. This leads to the freeze/lagspike/rubberbanding because the server data and the client data are trying to synchronize.

You might be a sniper pro, getting headshot after headshot in an FPS, but then come to RotMG and are rubberbanding all over the place. That’s a sign that it’s not your computer, or your local network.

RotMG servers are hosted by a 3rd party who is likely hosting hundreds of other servers from the same location. Sure they likely have T1/backbone access for the highest bandwidth speeds and throughput but their routers might be taxed heavily by the other sites that are hosted at that data center. So, Deca should be complaining to the server host or they should find a better host.

See further: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_loss

The fuck does it matter if I type in bold or not. Get over it.

And no, no connection issues. As of right now, the only server that I’m able to play on without any sort of serious rubberbanding/disconnecting is USMW. If I attempt to switch to a different server, the lag/rubberbanding continues. No idea what the cause of this is, but I’ve been told I’m not the only one experiencing it.

#I personally get horrible lag any where in the game, always have though I’ve seen my guild wanting to switch servers due to USW apparently having horrible lag so yeah it’s just on decas side and is effecting all of us, nothing to do with ISP.

#the amount of disconnects I get per day is comical.

your family of regulars have disowned you for your sinful crime