A couple new status ideas

I came up with a few new status effects that could be useful for future classes. Please don’t stick them on UT/STs or I’ll cry.

• Bravery
    Influences chance of hitting your maximum damage roll.

I don’t know if making it 100% chance would be too powerful, or having it scale with tier (for example, tier 1 granting a flat 40% chance of hitting your maximum roll, tier 2 granting 50%, etc). Most weapons wouldn’t benefit that much from it, but daggers, sprite wands and other high variance weapons would love it. Kind of like how bows get triple effectiveness of Expose.

The opposite status condition would be Cowardice - always hit your minimum damage roll

• Bless
    Reduces incoming damage by 20%, and protects from negative ailments.

The anti Curse. Ailment protection shouldn’t break many things, but maybe add some shots that can get around it if it really bothers you that people can run through sewer water without sickness.
However, I would like to see Pet Stasis always penetrate Bless so that it isn’t total cheese at places like Nest. The rationale would be that the status protects YOU, not your pet.
Some kind of limiting factor maybe if it’s deemed too powerful. I’m partial to extremely high MP cost, something like 180 MP per cast for 5 second duration. I’d definitely be putting it on a Wand class.

I also wanted to make a Silence ability to affect monsters with, which would change their shot patterns to be different under its effect. While I was writing the post I realised that it’s almost impossible to balance meaningfully - either the boss becomes too easy or the ability does nothing.

Thoughts/suggestions/inspired ideas?

I can’t wait to test out bravery with all these ray katanas…

Really cool concepts, and I’m surprised that a similar thought never crossed my mind. I’ve never seen another post similar to the concept. Well done.

P.S. I don’t really care about the numbers in the game too much, so I’ll let the others get into that

Let’s stick em on STs so Deca makes more money off of em!

I like the idea of bravery, but if this was a main status effect of a class, it would make weapons with a high range of damage like sprite wand and spirit dagger (just to name a few) way overpowered. Those weapons were meant to be nerfed by the minimum damage cap. (Also what would happen if the player is inflicted with Braveery and Cowardice? Would cowardice overrun bravery?)

Bless seems like a decent effect, EXCEPT for the part about protecting against negative ailments. It would make tome of purification, one of the most sought after tomes, completely useless. The main point of the sewers is that there is constant sickness, and removing that would make the dungeon roadkill.

Silence was only meant for players only, same thing with pet stasis, quiet, and invisibility. If you were looking for fewer shots for a monster, allow me to introduce you to quiver of thunder, which inflicts daze on mobs. Altering shot patterns for EVERY SINGLE mob in the game would take way too much time.

Bravery might be made into a class of itself, but Bless and Silence definitely will not. There’s a reason why there isn’t a class made for purify or armor break, cause that’ll make event whites like ogmur way less exciting.

I might see Bless working as a self buff for a class, but not a group one (perhaps the class using it could have naturally lower stat caps to balance it as well). Having it be a self buff only would prevent this from becoming another necessary support class for organized raids, and would prevent even more steamrolling, since status effects are one of very few tools DECA still had in their arsenal to combat high pets.

That got me thinking that maybe it could be used as an unreliable proc on equipment. That way it’ll happen only occasionally and be really nice when it does, but it won’t be able to be spammed or prebuffed.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.