A second language thread

the last thread was made in 2017 and i dont want to bump that

So yes I have been living in the united states for 2 years now and my English has significantly improved since then

I am of course fluent in czech and slovak. I have been away from home for a long time and what I think about czech and slovak is not what exactly is true

but if you are czech and can not understand a slovak and vice versa, you lack any significant intelligence or education

though czechs and slovaks are always among each others so the languages will likely always stay very close as they are now. Some say slovak is an accent of czech, this is simply not true and I think that is just nationalism and ignorance :czech_republic: = :slovakia:

The region of my country i gew up in, is known as silesia. The czech that I speak is sometimes confusing for people in the western part of my country because I speak a dialect with a lot of polish influence.

Naturally this allowed me to learn polish quite easily as many people I knew spoke it and I lived quite close to Poland so i visited a lot. I would consider myself fluent or very close to being fluent. Some people have strict interpretations :poland:

Now Russian, which is some on his own field. Czech and Russian are not mutually understandable without knowing one language and studying the other

My father spoke Russian and he taught me along with my Russian comrades and my many trips to Russia and Russian speaking countries. As far as Russian goes I could have a conversation and never be at a loss of words, though I can not write Cyrillic so certain people might consider that not fluent. But if not being able to write makes you not fluent, many russians cant speak russian. :ru:

Other Slavic languages that i understand a fair amount of : Ukrainian, Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian (slavic balkan langagues are quite similar but tell them that) :ukraine: :croatia: :serbia: :bosnia_herzegovina: :albania: :bulgaria: :moldova:

English: It started from my father teaching me it as child as he emphasized learning many languages. As I grew I came into contact with more and more english and even some english speakers. Though I never knew very much. I only started studying from the fact that many things are not translated into czech. Along with english being a useful language to learn as its widely spoken around the world. I studied it a lot in the army and had many opportunities to use it during that time. :uk:

bordering germany and loving their food, I’ve been many times. Most weekends me and my comrade would drive to another country, being central europe this allowed great accessibility. Not that we went to germany every week but I went there a lot times. So of course I picked up the language a bit. I speak german formally and can hold simple conversations. :de:

The same goes for french I can speak it in a formal manner and hold conversations to an extent :fr: Since the last thread my french has greatly improved

an old comrade of mine was from spain and had taught me plenty of Spanish, along with it being a simple language to grasp I can read and speak Spanish quite well :es:

other langagues

One of my oldest comrades booste is a native of finland but moved to estonia as a boy. So along with traveling to this countries before and talking to him I have gathered a decent grasp on both languages but its mostly basic conversations and cussing. :estonia: :finland:

Langagues I want to learn or improve upon: :japan: Japanese, the culture interest me and I would like to take an extended trip there one day.

Afrikans: My father spoke it and the south african boer culture interest me.

German and french: I greatly enjoy german food and culture and would like to expand my understanding of german for that reason.

French is just because im considering moving to france since I have citizenship because of my mom and french culture does interest me somewhat.

So what languages do you speak?

What languages do you want to learn ?

Or just discuss languages as you please

i can speak russian even though im live in the US

i also can write in russian

Jeeeeez that’s a lot of languages.

I speak English and Polish fluently, and can kind of understand French well enough to get on with the French.

Slav bros :fist:

I can speak English and Dutch, but my dutch is somewhat lacking.
I am learning French and would love to speak Japanese so I can watch anime without subtitles.

english and polish fluently, so are you from poland comrade and if so do you know any czech or russian?

are you from russia or a russian speaking country or did you just learn it?

Yeah I’m from Poland. I can understand Russian and Czech well enough, but I can barely read Russian and no Czech :sweat_smile:

My dad speaks cheap. Does that count?

Gets bootleg airpods for 10 dollars

I’m learning Tagalog as my 2nd language though.

Glad to have another slav around

Russian is growing out of style in my country (especially in the western part). Most people in theirs 30s know a fair amount of Russian When the communist government collapsed, most schools stopped teaching Russian and czech was emphasized

why , are you Filipino or are you just interested in it?

That’s 13 individually named languages, some of them may be similar but that’s still absurdly impressive imo.

I can only speak english ;-; although I know a little bit of spanish, learned from a close friend (just basic slang) and a tiny amount of german from my sister (I literally can’t speak it at all, I can just pick up on some words).

I am why do you ask…

my mom is from russia and my dad is estonian but since he lived in soviet union he knows russian

Zephyr wants to know your location.

Jokes aside here’s a summary of what I know:

:uk: Learned English in American and Canadian schools, am fluent

:armenia: Learned Armenian from my relatives, did not go to school for this significantly, can talk fluently enough despite what relatives say, can read decent, can’t write without misspelling everything.

:jp: I know hiragana after studying it from curiosity, Japanese has been on and off for me, I could teach you and sturky anything I know

:es: Finally in high school I took Spanish but I haven’t studied it since so it’s falling apart for the most part

Yeah not much on my end… My relatives put me to shame, my old man knows Arabic, Armenian, Greek, English, and a few other things while my mom knows Russian, Armenian, English, Spanish followed by a few other things. :frowning:

thanks comrade but many eastern europeans know several languages.

slavic culture is shared and spread through these countries and that includes language. Also most eastern European countries are in the Slavic language group. So if you master russian and czech you can tackle them all is what I think

Because not a common language for someone to learn if they are not Filipino, so i wondered the reason for you learning it

pichat he knows where i am ill be waiting

is being able to sing the soviet anthem in Armenian really fluent

Just english and chinese here.

:cry:

Edit:
Also I didn’t know you were in the US for 2 years, welcome comrade.

English and a bit of Japanese from my parents yelling at me

The only countries that could take over the world are the USA and china so if either of those happens you’ll be lucky

yes thanks comrade

so you are a native american?

maybe, or just help preserve its history and don’t let it entirely die out

I am fluent in English(which is my native language)
And I am currently in Honors Spanish 3 in school, and I do intend to continue learning Spanish until I am fluent in that as well.

this is what i wanted to see today