Anime Discussion Thread

We really are two different type of anime fans, both of which I’ve seen a lot of in the community. One being the tough critic and the other with lower standards and can find enjoyment in almost anything.

Myself being the latter of the two, of course I know how bad they are bad but I don’t seem to care xD

Hmm somewhat true, i have times where i can enjoy these super bad tv shows, like once i watched those little fairy tv show for like 4hours, and binged quite a few anime.

But generally im quite picky… its actually annoying.

edit: just started Quan Zhi Gao Shou, and its pretty good, its like a better more potential SAO. Its weird hearing chinese, since i understand chinese, most of the voices are old man voices.

Since people keep on asking for recs, i just made a master list:

(formatting died on here)

My Recommended Anime List
All anime gets pushed into its most defined category.
Be warned most I watched so long ago I cant remember much. Also, most are much more special than their categories say they are.

/ = Somewhat recommended
// = Medium recommended
/// = Highly recommended
//// = Personal Favorite

Sports
Baby Steps//// - A A-student picks up tennis for exercise, and grows in love with it. Most fall under two categories: friendship/teamwork or hard work. This one I guess is hard work, but to a more realistic scale. MC balances his lack of experience with note taking, he analyzes himself and others, finding weaknesses. This matches him because he was formerly an A-student. This show specializes in being realistic, from his skills, to his body, to his emotions, to love, to his tennis skills (there is not super OP move that will completely wreck all). People say the art is bad, but I thought it was pretty decent. I also liked the music, it was fitting and is good to listen to even out of the anime. Only anime that talks about going pro (Hajime no ippo doesn’t count, they get pro in like episode 10), most anime have people killing themselves for the inter-high, but that’s not that worth it, the MC here is wanting to go pro. Also quite unpredictable, ive screwed up my calls a few times because of this.

Diamond no Ace// - Baseball. About this pitcher who had a terrible team in middle school but got scouted by pro school. He is great, but not using boring things such as speed, he has weird strategies that make him good, although most of the time the spotlight is not on him, but rather on his rival pitcher. Follows the stereotypical hard work sports anime.

Haikquu!! / - Very solid anime, but pretty generic, didn’t actually want to include this. Has good art and animations.

Hajime no Ippo /// - The only non-hentai/fanservice anime (even if you do include them) that talks about Dick Size so easily. Only in this anime do you recognize who the person is by squeezing their dick from behind. So this is actually about Boxing, follows the typical hard work route. But the MC’s goal is to “become strong”, which is sometimes a life mission to even find the definition of strength. Also teaches a lot about boxing, the fights are pretty decent, although tend to drag on. There is a lot of light hearted moments. Like pulling dicks or putting poop on people’s heads.

Slam Dunk /// - Thug turns basketball player. Unlike most other sports anime, the MC does not actually really want to play, he plays to impress this girl he likes. Gives a new outlook on basketball for me. Lots of fun and lighthearted moments. The character were developed very nicely, even the opponents. One of the few moments in anime where I shed a tear. The Mc is talented at Basketball, but his teammate rookie gets all the attention. Some matches dragged on too long. Nice soundtrack

Comedy

Angel Beats/ - I watched this too long ago to remember anything, but the first half was comedy, second was kind of drama/sad. This is a more stupid kind of comedy.

Barakamon/// - Top 10 anime for me. Its funny and has good life lessons, an anime not focused on high schools but instead on elementary kids and an adult.

K-on! // - cute girls doing cute things. They like to screw around and have fun. The jokes got repetitive after a while.

Kona suba / - Not a personal favorite, but highly regarded by others. The jokes are kind of repetitive. Truth is I don’t remember much about this. First season was great, 2nd got too old for me.

Nichijou //// - Probably Top 10- they make jokes based on the character’s personality and setting. Just a funny anime.

Working Series / - Using characters with a weird quirk created a fun/funny environment, relaxing, maybe more SOL.

Drama

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica // - this one is interesting, at first it seems like cute girls doing cute things, but its actually one of the darkest anime ive seen/finished. The art is interesting. Watched too long ago, forgot too much

Welcome to NHK /- watched too long ago as well, but it’s about a shut-in who never leaves, this girl makes it her mission to help this dude. Good to see from the eyes of an older person, dealing with a problem that is plaguing current society.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom / - These two teens are kidnapped and brainwashed to be assassins. This one I seriously remember nothing…

Rainbow: The prisoners in …… /// - this one is sad, right away you are shown the cruel prison that these teens are put through and how they survive. The enter as criminals, they leave as brothers.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso /// - Ahh this one. Has nice art and music. About this kid who stops playing piano because he’s a wimp or something but was amazing at it. Then this girl convinces him to play again! I can’t say more without spoiling

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 / - an anime not talked about that much. There is an earthquake, this family has to reunite….

Suspense/ Thriller/ Psychological

Death Parade// - a psychological thriller, whenever two people die at the same time they are presented to this place where they are judged by playing life staking games to see if they should die forever or be reincarnated…. Showing the evil side of humans

Mirai Nikki / - a popular one. One fucked up girl obliterates everyone for her love :heart:

One Outs /// - A mind battle of baseball, didn’t put in sports since this fit more actually. Inspires you to try these out in whatever sport you play. Nice entertaining to watch

Golgo 13 / - Im only 1/5 done rn, but each episode is completely independent of each other. This world class sniper kills people, but each time is faced with an obstacle/challenge. It is much better than it sounds. Each episode is different. There are times when it’s about love, then strategy, then pure bloodshed, etc.

Death Note //// - MC wants to kill all criminals in world. Mind battle between him and one detective, its mostly pretty good. Anime continues to go downhill. Art is amazing, sounds is even more amazing. Very Thrilling and fun to watch. I have watched this like 5 times now.

Horror

Shiki /// - About a vampire epidemic in a small village…. The villagers try to survive. More drama than action. Not all that scary truth be told.

Romance

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia // - One of the best arts. The panel layouts or something. Seems to have only like 4 characters show up in the whole story. The title actually means dusk maiden of amnesia. Music is also good.

Slice of Life

Mushishi // – At first, I was looking for a story and didn’t enjoy the thing in front of me… A very relaxing and calm anime. With vivid imagination and interesting art and amazing music. Calming of the soul.

Action/Adventure
Ajin/ - the art is quite bad but you get used to it. Immortals that are trapped and used as testing subjects. MC has gone on the run, society has envisioned them to be bloodthirsty monsters, but in truth they are just normal humans…. Now how do the immortals act

Akasuki no Yona// - Teaches the power to protect. Princess- spoiled gets her father assassinated by her lover. Her other lover and her go and find the 4 dragons, great warriors who only serve that of the royal family (although for generations they have not). Its interesting to see how the 4 dragons were raised differently…. The anime doesn’t get too much further…

Assassination Classroom // - Monster destroys moon. He wants to become a teacher. These students are assigned to kill this teacher. It’s a comedy and actionish. At the end of the season 2 you learn more about what happened. But before that, its pretty meh, decent.

Boku no Hero// - 80% of the world has super powers. This kid does not, although he is the biggest fan boy of this one hero, and all heros. The most op hero has the power to give his power to him, and thus starting his life training to be a hero…. Although he has a late start learning to use his ability…. Good art and animations, good music. Characters are kind of generic, and story.

Code Geass/ - formerly a top 10 until I remembered the bulk of the anime. Britannia takes over basically a large amount of land, including japan. They renamed it to area 11. The Japanese hate that, they fight back. Former prince of Britannia gains ability to command someone to do something and they will listen (with lots of restrictions), he uses this ability to gain back area 11…. And more

Darker than Black/ - First few eps are pretty boring. Its confusing in a few spots, has an interesting concept. MCs are like a syndicate or something.

Fate Series / - First series is super confusing. 2nd is explained more. Good action. Pretty good music. It’s a fight for the holy grail between 7 users who have summoned people from history. Unique characters and has nice development on each of the people. Everything is explain unlike in the original, and done in a smooth way(explained to the idiot protagonist). Very nice characters, taken from history and changed.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood//// - A great anime that is rated #1 (formerly), seems like small arcs, but all the arcs come together in the end. The story is of the evil within the good, the plot that the enemy has in store. Lots of mystery, action, adventure, comedy, etc. So much depth in each character, solid & great personality. Great back stories, the comedy is great and relates back to the story. Probably the most perfect anime. Although the characters are a little weak.

Hunter x hunter (2011) /// - These kids become hunters, it’s like those normal big shounen (Naruto, bleach, yu yu hakusho, d.grayman, fairy tail, dragon ball) but better…. It’s not based on the power of friendship. Its darker and more realistic.

Kingdom/// - this art pushed me away for so long. But a peasant kid raising his ranks in the army. The manga is quite ahead. But interesting to see his feats.

One piece /// - Ahh the classic. Although its not that good recently. The beginning is quite nice due to the faster pace. 1- If you heard the dubs before, forget them the real subs are so much better. Also don’t judge a book by its cover. This anime shows all sorts of different issues. Action scenes are cool. Interesting characters. Although there are a lot of stupid characters. They are had a pretty sad past (MCs). A blend of sadness, action and adventure.

Parasyte /// - the most annoying girls you will ever see. Very nice music. Art is pretty solid. Story is very nice. A thriller. MC has an alient thing in his arm, he learns to co-exist with him…Being on no ones side, neither humans or aliens. Its quite philosophical. It talks a lot about human nature/habits(humans can kill animals , but not their own species) Another it teaches is human attachments, suicide, etc. Humans are the real “parasytes”(how they treat other animals, is like how parasytes treat humans) (when they should act as the superior species, by being a leader), crying, selfishness, how humans kills other animals but can’t kill their own etc.) “All life must co-exist on Earth” <–what humans say. then however, why do they still kills pigs/animals.

Magi Series /// - Aladdin, Alibaba, Morginan, Sinbad and many others come out of their old stories and into this new one. The power of friendship is the main theme here, I know its quite cheesy. But also good action. (the manga betrayed me! CRY). Quite funny also. The art is good, clear when it needs to, then to detail a second later. Very good music also.

Samurai Champloo / - Japanese culture + western rap music?! Mainly 2-4 ep arcs, pretty light hearted. Decent action.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann ///- quite popular. If you like physics, then forget about physics, graivity is unside down. I have good spelling. Einstein was a girl. When you attack you shout out the attack for 30 seconds since the name is too long. There are some very nice characters in here. Good soundtracks too. "do not believe in yourself. Believe me, I believe in you "

Shounen

Bakuman//// - My All-time favorite anime/TV show. About two guys who chase after their dreams. Very thriller like. I can relate since it perseveres me to go after my goals and dreams. Very nice and fitting music, art is for the most part pretty good. The characters are kind of weak, but the story and enjoyment heavily make up for that. also, quite unpredictable. If you compared to sports anime, this is quite realistic with events too.

Bacaano! //// - A top 10. This anime constantly switches between 10-15 characters and between 3 years. Yes that kind of story. The story of immortality and the potion that gave it. Could easily be under action. Although kind of hard to follow if you aren’t careful.

Durarara!! //// - Basically, the same story telling as Baccano. Not as good, but more developed. But is very good for its own reason. You feel like you are in the city that it takes place. The music is amazing. With interesting things. Like where else do you find Russian sushi in Japan with a 2-meter-tall Russian black muscular guy working there. A guy that throws vending machines every 10 seconds but actually is a softy. They switch between time and characters (not too much time jumping), they also switch to this online chatroom thing where you can’t tell who is who. The story progresses with more and more things being revealed, the secrets and mysteries coming forth.

Insanely OP as fuck character (Action)

Gate / - two worlds are connected suddenly. They old and the modern. Ehh, not that great. First season the humans utterly destroy the people of the old civilation. After that they try to go harem route, but they don’t actually, they just stay in an adventure kind of of softhearted feeling

7 Deadly Sins //- the 7 deadly sins are warriors that haven’t been in action. They are needed rn for some weird reason. They utterly rekt everyone….

Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin // - some lazy kid doesn’t want to join army, but did b/c friend tricked him. He utterly obliterates everyone.

Overlord // - game is shutting down, but instead this skeleton dude is trapped in the game and the game is transported to another world. His character…… is massively OP

Sword Art online / - ahh…… I actually gave this like 4-5/10. But MC utterly destroys everything, more so in the 2nd and 3rd arc.

World Trigger // - Toooo lazy to write……

All-ages

Cardcaptor Sakura/- first anime to finish. Watched it with my big sis. The descriptions on MAL prob is good enough

Little Witch Academia (Tv and other)/ – girls sees magic show and wants ot become an magician. Pretty cute and fun. Although when she is learning ( has no talent since other witches are like that when born), she actually could be a key person in the history of magic.

Sci-fi / Fantasy

Monogatari Series // - The best thing about this series is the art, firs the camera angle does lots of quick changes, it never goes to the normal angles used. The lighting is very nice. The backgrounds, even when its normal its mystical, gives the feel of having no one else in the world (which is actually true, they represent other people sometimes as red blocks used in those yellow pages). Or they just dont exist ther at all. the detail and colouring/lighting with the background is amazing, the colour fades in and out. It commonly looks lonely. Its un-describable. the transitions between slides, they often use just one colour with words on it that pass super quickly, sometimes the person doesn’t even talk, but its written instead. they use substitute images alot, using real of clipart images to represent things lots of the time, etc. the OP is dependent on the arc which is super cool. Now the music. Its very nice, its pretty fitting, sounds ok without events, creates the atmosphere very nice. they often change the tones of their voices alot. the characters are pretty interesting, the interaction between two mains is nice, kinda reaching harem :/. The stories are nice, the teach something. the action seems are amazing! the art in is awesome, the one with the colours was very nice. Also, they like the change screen sizes. Has a different OP and ending for every arc, and they are all pretty good. I have only watched the a few of the many. The story is mainly about random stuff or witty comments towards others. Majority of the anime is spent talking.

Mob Psycho 100 / -

Psycho Pass (Do not watch season 2, its … terrible) /// - Shows how society is corrupted, live in fear, even in this day. Discriminate of people. Raises a lot of ethical issues. Very unique idea. Story is decent. Sound is ok, art is pretty good.
Tokyo Ghoul (Season 2 Is meh) // - How Humans can kill others but can’t kill their own? Would be rated very highly if less annoyingness of char, faster paced. Sick killings. in the society, there are too much hatred and misunderstood in it, so many sadness and madness, l just feel Tokyo ghoul truly reflects this suffering. A kid is turned into a ghoul who eats humans, although he is actually a half ghoul.

bumpity bump

rewatched bakuman for the 1000 times and its still amazing.

I decided to wait until Attack on Titan season 2 completely aired before watching it, and uh, holy crap, is it still as gore-y as ever.

Overall the short season (compared to season 1) felt like it only uncovered a tiny amount about the titans. At least there’s confirmed more AoT for 2018, from the last seconds of the final episode.

As the current anime fall closes, I’ve just finished a second anime from the current fall; Frame Arms Girls. Alright mecha-moe anime. Nothing too great.

I’m liking the second season of AoT more than the first, it kind of feels like the original hype the show had died off though (well…it has been 4 years). It’s not perfect but still a pretty good show imo. And thank god we won’t have to wait another 4 years for season 3 lmfao.

After some horrible net yesterday for rotmg, I took some time to think about what to watch for the summer fall of anime.

New seasons of what I’ve already watched:

New:

New (short):

New (movie):

hi guys should i start binge watching cory in the house

I started watching Your Lie in April/Shigatsu dlksafjslkgweklgj but then I got curious and went on the wiki and found all the spoilers (DON’T DO IT) so now I can’t even touch the anime anymore
seriously don’t spoil yourself

yeah i tend to do that alot…

like a lot

when i see a spoiler tag, i just quickly look at it for 0.5second approx, but i can usually read a sentence in that time :sweat_smile:

Well, to be fair… the name of the anime is sort of a spoiler…

I’m a huge Fate fan, even though I haven’t read all of the novels… (yet). Fate/Apocrypha takes place in an alternate universe from the Stay night series. It shares the Holy Grail War concept from fate night, but in this particular war there’s two different factions each summoning 7 servants for a total of 14. A Black faction part of the same group and a Red faction comprised mostly of people from the Mages Association.

I haven’t checked out the shows in the next season yet myself (usually wait a few weeks into the season until I do), but I know the next season of monogatari is coming out finally

Two new seasons of my favorite shows…its gonna be a good season

oh interesting, i took a brief look and to me it seems like a weak season.

well i think that every season :thinking:

Fate/whatever is a cluster to get into, though. Everyone seems to have a different opinion on the correct watch order, and some people are even saying wait till the forthcoming 3 (or 4?) movies come out that fill in some intermediate story arc. It’s daunting. I did get through unlimited blade works, since it seemed at the time most agreed that it doesn’t spoil anything for the other routes. I liked it, but have hesitated going any further for risk of spoiling anything.

The upcoming season seems to be comprised of lots of lesser known source material. Weak or bad if you have a dim view of unfamiliar stuff, exciting if you like to explore the unknown. IMHO we won’t know the quality of the summer season till the end of July.

should watch Hyouka. very nice romance + mystery anime

I kind of get that, and it’s true lol

I have my own opinion of the watch order too…to be fair watching it in the anime release order does spoil the series.

If you don’t want to spoil yourself wait for the trilogy before watching Fate/Zero (prequel of stay night). And not sure if they’re going to make an anime out of the sequel of stay night…

The other fate series that are soon to be aired are alternate universes that don’t have a connection to the stay night series (I think…!), you should be free to watch them without worry

Although someone whos actually read all of the novels might give a different opinion

Is that hollow/ataraxia or extra CCC? Can’t remember.

Didn’t know they were making Apocrypha, I thought they were doing Grand Order right now and working on the Heaven’s Feel OVAs

I didn’t know they were making it until recently either

Fate/hollow ataraxia is the sequel of stay night, I’ve been waiting for the voice patch to play it

http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/5657-Fate-Hollow-Ataraxia-Voice-Project?s=21d2179bf05e6a0553cd38ab0276709d

They started it years ago and surprisingly the project is still active, saw a reddit post a few weeks ago recruiting volunteers to help out with it

And extra ccc is the sequel to fate / extra, don’t know a whole lot about it

Nichijou best anime even better than Cory in the house