Anime Discussion Thread

oh god fairy tail (NAKAMA POWER)
oh god one piece (too many chapters)
oh god bleach (decent but the MANGA ENDING OH GOD)
naruto (well at least the fight scenes were good but it got meme’d into hell :^| )

haven’t watched detective conan, but i’ve heard some really good stuff about it
dragonball seemed ok from the first few chapters i read but dbs is just an endless cycle of "powerful enemy beats goku into the ground, goku gets stronger, goku beats enemy, rinse and repeat"
you reminded me i gotta watch yuyu hakusho

more about bleach: the anime ending was sorta ehhhh but if you’re reading you’ll know when to stop

suggestions:
opm (i mean practically everyone’s watched it but who knows)
jojo’s (outside of the memery the artstyle is actually p unique and it’s different from other shounen in an 80’s sort of way)
fist of the north star (absolute classic)
mob psycho manga (won’t spoil anything, but let’s just say ONE is absolutely amazing at writing stories, even if the art is sorta meh)

ON THE TOPIC OF BLACK CLOVER -

PLEASE if you don’t like repetitive storytelling then do NOT watch or read this. it’s essentially an amalgamation of every popular shonen that came before it. if you do decide to watch/read it the similarities between it and other mangas like naruto, fairy tail, bleach, and others become readily apparent. i make a point of reading everything i start and while the start of the manga was ok, 127 chapters in it’s kinda disappointing how it takes everything generic into the plot and storyline.

edit: @Doc i agree asta in the sub of black clover is so FUCKING obnoxious, like i swear the dude overdoes the voice acting by far too much

Funnily enough that’s almost exactly what I said in this thread over a year ago:

On the topic of SAO though, its probably a bad example to use there. I mean it’s both the most overhyped anime and the most universally hated one. 77% of ratings on it (out of nearly a million) are still 7/10+, which is high for the quality of the show. Not to say that there aren’t critics on there, I just mean they’re the minority.

honestly i think we should avoid conversation about sao, it leads to alot of toxic discussions that one might never expect

I don’t think there’s anyone here that feels that strongly about it, personally I even enjoyed it but acknowledge it’s shortcomings.

idk, i just feel like i see a lot of toxicity lately from people ardently defending sao and all of its faults to the people who nitpick into every single detail
maybe it might be more of a 2014 thing but w/e

Not sure where you’d be seeing that, especially since the next SAO anime isn’t even airing yet, but I don’t think you’d see much of it here.

Also you really don’t need to nitpick all that much to point out SAO’s flaws. The MC being at the same time a tremendously bland character and an absurdly obvious Mary Sue, for example.

lol, i think i gave one punch man a 4 or 5. I cant stand that show, its not one funny at all, but its super sad for me. Its not even enjoyable, i dont see why everyone likes it… The characteres arent even good, they have no depth or realism, well genos is ok. The art and music are pretty good though. I literally suffered through watching the 11 episodes (never finished the last episode)

Mob psycho is ok. jojo is good. havent watched fist of the nroth

Oh god lmao its Gintama all over again:

Replace Gintama with One Punch Man ^^

I have a feeling you have a very particular sense of humour, which isn’t the type popular in the anime community. Some people like witty or satirical jokes, others like completely nonsensical humour…

[quote=“Scorchmist, post:629, topic:535”]
they have no depth or realism
[/quote].

…which clearly isn’t up your ally lol

But there’s no good or bad when it comes to comedy, at least that’s what I believe.

(And personally I enjoyed it so much I watched it several times!)

Hunter X Hunter is so good imo!!! Up to ep20

The entire point of the show is that there’s nothing realistic about Saitama and no deep backstory to explain why either. That’s the joke.

Now, the fact that said joke ends up being the only leitmotiv of the entire show and nothing ever matters because Saitama is invincible, meaning the show is bound to become extremely repetitive, … that, I feel, is a much bigger problem.

Sometimes, a comedy trope ends up being so overused it’s nigh impossible to make it funny.

Specifically in the context of anime, the whole guy/girl dynamic of “accidental groping/peeping leading to a violent overreaction” wasn’t even particularly funny or clever to begin with, and to make matters worse it’s been done to death at this point.

You make a good point, the joke can be predictable, overused ect. But then again there could be some people out there who like that kind of cringe humour no matter how many times they see it. Who am I to say it isn’t funny because I don’t find it funny.

Don’t really want to make this discussion of the psychology of humour, or theories of comedy or w/e you want call it, I’m sure there’s ways to deconstruct comedy and explain what makes things funny but I’d have nothing to add to it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i also watched like 90 eps of that i have no idea why its rated so high. Comedy that i like is nichijou, barakamon, some one piece and many others that i cant think of.

But is one punch not sad!? its like taking one of those sad animes (ano hana, angel beats, clanna, code geass etc) and putting comedy in. But yeah the comedy doesnt entertain me at all

[quote=“Wizybrain, post:631, topic:535, full:true”]
Hunter X Hunter is so good imo!!!l Up to ep20
[/quote]yea, glad u like it, i tried reading the manga since i liked the anime,… but the art is absolutely terrible, whenever people mention manga with bad art, they choose hunterx hunter a lot.

[quote=“RMGnoob, post:632, topic:535”]
Specifically in the context of anime, the whole guy/girl dynamic of “accidental groping/peeping leading to a violent overreaction” wasn’t even particularly funny or clever to begin with, and to make matters worse it’s been done to death at this point.
[/quote]oh lol, i had no idea that was even suppose to be comedy…

lol rip.

It is very bittersweet, which is why some people prefer to call it a deconstruction rather than a parody.

I don’t think it’s that bad, but then again it’s been a while.

Going from anime to manga is often an improvement, but in the case of HxH the manga was made by a guy with severe depression and burn-out issues, whereas the anime (the 2nd one) was made later by more stable people.

Ever tried reading or watching Love Hina? About 90% of the comedy in there is like that.

I remember watching some parts of the english dub and wondering if this could legally be considered torture under the Geneva convention.

Then…what did you think the point of it was exactly?

honestly i just thought of it as a way for me to give it a lower score…lol, its so life revealing, after watching anime for all these years…

[quote=“RMGnoob, post:635, topic:535”]
Ever tried reading or watching Love Hina?
[/quote]whenever i see a remotely decent anime, i will usually put it in my plan to watch (and never watch it), but its not there, must mean that i read the desciption and gave up.

[quote=“RMGnoob, post:635, topic:535”]
I don’t think it’s that bad
[/quote]well some say bad art can make lots of series better, but it was just painful. i like detailed art, like mangas like berserk and such i often got mixed up from the art (i tend to read a bit fast), so i like clear, ESPECIALLY for actions. one of my favourite mangas is kingdom, it has amazing art with clear and single panel motions.

because of this, many good series i just end up dropping bc of the art. Although for anime im not too picky on art, like i watched through this seasons quanzhi fashi, which has like art of 2000 and boruto, whos animation was trash. although i cant do things like ashita no joe, which was made in the 1970s.

I need good art to watch anime. Unless the story is interesting, if the art is bad, I might just drop it (especially in slice of life anime)

an update: finished about half of hunterx Hunter now :slight_smile:

I recommend Steins;Gate, Code Geass, original FMA, Madoka Magica, and Re:Zero. Not going to put much description, but they have pretty original plots and are interesting. Check them out if you haven’t already :grinning:
Others I liked, but not necessarily the ones I absolutely recommend are JJBA, Death Note, Parasyte, Erased, and Overlord.
Also emotional anime( that i never cried watching but whatev) I recommend are shigatsu wa kimi no uso, koe no katachi, ̶B̶o̶k̶u̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶P̶i̶c̶o̶ , kimi no na wa, and angel beats.

so what ur saying is u got into mostly popular anime…i guess im the opposite

nah, no way. MC gets transported into another world…does some shit and feels like he has to save someone.

:+1: i liked them t0o

Lmao I guess someones going through their anime elitist phase /s

But really though I seem to remember you getting into a lot of popular anime, it’s just you preferred specific genres that while are still popular, aren’t as popular as some others (SoL/sports).

There’s nothing wrong with liking popular anime though, since they get the most exposure it’s obviously where the majority of anime fans starts from. (That and of course they’re all popular for a reason, usually because they’re enjoyable to watch to the majority. )