Balance Changes & Dungeon Cap Update [X.32.7.0]

Ok now that I’ve spent some time with this event, I will say that it’s still bad.

It’s quite obvious to see that people on this forum continue to complain that the game is too hard and neglect the general population that probably has not played the game for a long period of time. They also neglect the general population that relies on key pops to participate in endgame material.

There are several reasons why the update and the update cap is bad.

Right now the endgame for rotmg exists mostly in the pub halls. As I type, literally 142 players are queing for a fullskip run. Only 65 will make it into the dungeon.

The dungeon cap has a significant ripple effect. Like I said before, it’s going to cause frustration among the endgame playerbase.

This causes the discord to lose a playerbase. I can say for myself that I’m already fed up with the difficulties of trying to run into a bazaar at the speed of light and will be cutting back on my halls runs as it’s just not worth the hassle.

The problem for the dungeon cap will hit 2 specific areas of ROTMG: Lost Halls and Events. We didn’t have a dungeon popping event, but it is easy to see that the cap will limit the amount of players participating in the dungeon popping events as well.

In short, the free 2 play playerbase gets hit the hardest by this event. The individuals who buy keys will always be able to control where and when the keys get popped. And if the cap is reduced they might simply choose to pop dungeons with their smaller group.

A free to play player right now is basically left with 2 options - Try to rush into a halls at the speed of light or simply take to the realms. I can clearly see players becoming dissatisfied with these choices and reducing their playtime in the game or leaving the game entirely.

All the forum complainers like Candyshi can say they “made their pet being F2P” but they actually don’t care about the F2P community at all.

There’s a time and a place for the dungeon cap (I’d prefer an 85 dungeon cap personally) but efforts should be made first so that the endgame is not 100% dependent on keys.

Right now you basically cannot do endgame dungeons outside of discord and you cannot do events reliably without discord. These two things have to be changed for the game to thrive.

All Deca has done right now is screw the discords without offering any alternatives.

And so help me if some bozo tries to say you can do sentry halls.

On a side note I will say that Deca should make all lost halls enemies immune to stasis. The fullskip craze continues to be a cancer that never should have existed in an endgame dungeon. The people who say the game is too easy will probably screech when they can’t do a halls in 10 minutes haha!

TLDR: Dungeon cap makes the game even more play 2 win allowing the payers (and discord authorities) to have even more control while screwing the nonpayers trying to get into event dungeons or discord groups.

Well you can, but the size of the runs are too small to do colossus and sometimes large enough to do cult. Though they whittle down to 4-1 players by the time you get to the hideout .

As for this:

They could easily make in realm lost halls more appealing if they just had the dungeon despawn timer be 10ish minutes, then have it go through a “reset” cycle, despawning, then quickly spawning another portal and repeating that cycle 5 times. giving you ideally 50 minutes to enter the realm and attempt a run, which gives room to plan and do multiple runs in a single realm. And while I would suggest persistence on the level of WoW dungeon portals, I already know the outcome of that (if you don’t, that would make it possible to enter the run at anytime, and because of how realm works imo would break Lost halls and would make the dungeon a joke.

I care mostly about the F2P community, seeing as I fucking hated the fact that pet yard upgrades were (and still are) bullshit, and they only give you one vault (should be 2 or 3 now but whatever), and I had to shell 20$ to bypass that grind wall. It’s completely unfair and downright abusive, so I wouldn’t care that much if they cut the fame costs by 75% so F2P players could have a better chance at running end game content (which requires a very good legendary and divine pet, and anyone saying otherwise is wrong).

But that would mean DECA no get Shekkels :<

For all you people unable to get into pub halls run due to bad connection, join this new halls raiding server. It’s fairly small, and with more ppl we should be able to get consistent runs in.

Won’t the big Discords just begin to organise the hundred-plus players into multiple groups of 65?
(I mean… that’s what I would do…?)

Edit: there is also the below thread which has more LH-discussion if that’s a better place for somewhere you’d want to post longer thoughts:

You can try Sentry Halls!

Lmao I wish. But unfortunately there aren’t enough willing raid leaders on at once, or some of the raid leaders are just lazy

I don’t think the Scepters whould give out spd. They should be giving out wis instead, with the T6 giving out +5. This is so we can get clean 90 wis without the plus four wis from wands.

[

I’m pretty sure you’re the only one that could be considered a forum complainer.

What?

Alright now I’m pissed. I love the balance changes.

However, unless I ignore my student debt, and try to buy keys, I’m merde out of luck when it comes to dungeon run Lost Halls. I’ve wasted an hour of my life joining queues, getting to location, and seeing “Dungeon is full”.

I’m at a loss. At least 30 runs so far, I have failed to enter. I can’t increase my reaction time to joining a server. I’m pretty much forced to play trickster if I want to get into the bazaar in time. And even at that, the load times to join the nexus and portal just fuck me over. Not to sound like an elitist representation of male genitalia, but I have a multi-thousand dollar computer. My internet is 450MB/s Up and 25MB/s Down. I live in the US with good ping.

Over the course of two hours, I was only able do complete a cult and a void. And by the time we reached void, there was only 38 people. The dungeon cap is too high for the pub LH discord, and SBC doesn’t run often, so I’m left between p2w and just not doing end game dungeons.

Uh… It is possible to obtain 2 chests per 12 months without paying $$.

I spent total of 130 USD in the game (30$ for pet food, not worth it for me anymore…) and 100$ for 2-3 dozens of chests. So far.

I myself, do give a crap to F2P as well, but some things need to balance out the others. Now my goal is getting my pet to Divine without spending dollars for pet foods further more (practically P2W and F2P strategy).

And this is where LH 2.05 comes in!

…wait, fuck, never mind, that’s not coming anytime soon. Uhm…attempt Realm-dropped runs as a trickster, the class that matches up the best against Crusades, which otherwise demolish such runs…? I guess?

(On a more serious note, I defs agree that LH and its items are too barred off from the General Public™)

The drop rates from dungeons such as WLab, DDocks, CDepths, and Ice Cave were only ever nerfed. Their whites weren’t buffed and their Life/Mana potions are already hard to get! At least buff their whites too! You’re gonna buff the drop rates for god lands dungeons but not for these?

On that topic I was angling towards the LH UT’s to be specific, but I worded it a little wrong and included the nest ones by accident. Adding to what Seelpit said about Stinger, the two drawbacks are only a big damage decrease from most daggers and a small range decrease, which isn’t that big of a deal when you have yourself a Bone Dagger on steroids anyway.

On the topic of beehelm not doing much DPS, it has a 50% target curse chance upon use, and you can get the full 6 seconds of berserk while not moving at a ridiculous ~75 spd depending on your set. Though, that is kind of a bummer in some situations like rushing most dungeons, or participating in an an intense keyper chase. There’s also a second drawback: The -4 def and -20 HP from T6 helm, which decreases your survivability in exchange for some extra damage, because as a wise man once said, “…but who even cares about getting hurt when you’re blowing stuff up in one hit anyways…??

'Specially cause legendary+ pets are a thing. But yeah, in the first place I didn’t even mean to group nest whites into the explained category even if it was relevant, so thanks for catching that one.

I think that the current issues regarding difficulty of joining halls runs are inevitable and will fade over time as the community adapts to the change.

Even if the cap was just set to actually work at 85, there’d still be many people not being able to join runs in pub because pub afk checks often have over 100 people reacting. Should Deca revert that change? I don’t think so, because eventually either pub halls will adapt (by having more runs open at a given time so hopefully everyone can join a run), or the community outside of that will adapt (by creating more halls discords/increasing activity of existing halls discords that aren’t pub halls).

The key word is “eventually”. No drastic change will happen overnight. If you’re upset over not being able to get into a run, others definitely are as well, and some of those people will seek to create change.

I don’t think it makes sense for Deca to revert a change when the community is very capable of adapting to the change and making things work out. If Deca reverted every game balance change they made because people complained that they couldn’t keep doing exactly what they were doing rather than adapting to the change, we’d absolutely be getting nowhere. I’m really glad that Deca made this change, as drastic as it is.

Same here, as I said before I love everything about this update, even if I did miss a few halls and couldn’t even get void marks for daily quests, what you said is true. Too many possibly important balancing changes already have been held back just because of the community’s negative feedback on it, and like I said earlier,

Throughout history, us as a community and those before us had to adapt to nerfed chest event droprates, Ammies being gone, life potion costs for items being high because of the shot economy, not being able to cheese certain bosses… all sorts of in-game issues, some not even seen as in-game issues anymore because we’ve adapted to them already. What did most of us do? We played anyway, and if we quit because of it, 99.989% of us came back at some point. We’ll be able to get used to something new that’s helpful to the game in long-term perspective, can’t we? I think we can. :slight_smile:

This was the goal, wasn’t it?

Fool Moobattle, the goal was to stop massive raids on hives to make the elusive honey scepter rarer!

Damn, you got me

I too, am frustrated with failing to get into many LH discord runs. The odds of getting seem pretty bad when 100+ (and sometimes 150+) react, and 20 people are already in bazaar for a full skip.

I see the frustration at DECA after every missed run. However I think the problem is the Discords themselves knowingly letting in far more people then will get in. This is moreso a 3rd party problem.

They are trying to fix the problem atm, getting more runs going, increasing reqs, hesitantly discussing channel caps. But there will be a painful transition period.

But long-term I believe it will be worth it, with the decreased lag, more challenging end-game, better economy, and better chance for the UTs we all desire.

Aside from the topic of being unable to make it into the dungeon in the first place, this is a friendly reminder not to be disappointed when the only thing in your loot bag is a mark. If you’re interested in more loot, keep at least 3 of each halls marks [colo/void/cult] on hand at once [or more] if you’ve got the space for it, and wait for the quest to roll around at reset time. That’s what I do. I don’t more than 3-4 halls a day, when I even do them at all, which all depends on if I get the void/cult/colo-related quests. :slight_smile:

On a side note, I’m not sure if the drop rates for the items themselves have also been buffed from the quest chests, as from the last two Void ones I’ve opened, I’ve gotten a T13 bow, and another dropped a Sourcestone. But hey, maybe I’m just lucky with chests as of recently. However, I seriously suggest completing quests towards people who also want potions. Marks exist for a reason!