[DECA Art Contest] Entries by Piggby

So the DECA Art Contest has ended about a month ago(?), and I’ve decided I’d like some feedback on what I could improve, seeing that I didn’t win. You’ve probably already seen these on Atrapper’s Idea Discord if you are a frequent member.

Without further ado, here are my entries.

Corpus the Hollow

The enemy.

This is the sprite sheet of my creation, Corpus the Hollow, a hemlock vessel. At first glance, the move animation seems like a lazy effort. However, I have attempted to create a more unique way for this boss to move, which can be see below.

This is a conceptual gif that shows 5 crows traveling alongside a glowing lantern. This is how I envision Corpus to move, crows acting as a shield for the vulnerable lantern.

An individual crow.

• Scarecrows. Lone sentinels who ward off greedy winged thieves, ever still in bountiful fields. They are created to serve a singular purpose: to intimidate. To lie to a bird’s eye. To echo the fear a living guardian would instill into a hungry burglar. They are effigies of death and pain, frozen overseers, always watching the meadows of sustenance. These idols are crafted and constructed to accomplish these herculean tasks, while never budging and at the same time, being stuck to a cross, trap by constricting thick knots of hemp rope. Perhaps, the reason why they frighten the thieves of the skies is because they are instead the victims, an illustration of what happens to the ones that are caught and snared.

• Old folklore and superstition does surround the art of the scarecrow. Some believe scarecrows are often vessels for spirits and wisps, and escape the prison of the cross at the dead of night when none are awake to witness the horrors they commit. Old legends tell tales of these possessed hosts, with their lanterns of Will-o’-the-Wisps, their dancing lights, leading wary travelers to their demise, steering their path from secure and safe roads like sirens.

Cutethulhu

The skin.

A winged-quadruped modeled off of Cthulhu.

“This lil’ guy puts the love in Lovecraft!”

(Flavor text written by @Dappertron)

The dye mask for Cutethulhu if you want to spice it up.

Effigy of Ash

The prop.

This statue was originally going to be my enemy, but my scarecrow ended up being much more creative than this guy in the end, so I decided to recolor my dragon and use it as my prop.

Congratulations to all the contest winners, and I hope DECA launches more art contests in the future.

Special thanks to @Dappertron for writing the flavor text of Cutethulhu, and being a great critique and helping hand. Also, the gifs in this post were put together by @Atrapper. Without him, the gif quality would be much worse, and with his help, these gifs are much cleaner. I appreciate everyone on the Idea Discord who pitched in their opinions and critique to these during the making of my submissions.

Tags: mayartcontest, piggby

Event Boss: King Midas

wait why did you remove the light on the crows?

I really enjoy Lovecraftian stuffs but maybe it wasn’t wise to do Cthulhu, maybe you should make a different entity such as Hastur

I like everything else though personally

but see the thing about cthulhu is that what makes him immediately identifiable is in the details, and you don’t have enough pixels to really flesh out those details in 8x8 imo. With Hastur you could do the crown and such. I think with Cthulhu if you can’t get the smaller thing in there like being able to clearly show at first glance the tenctacles on his face then you lose what makes cthulhu as an image so memorable. I just think it’s hard to do that with 8x8

I feel the sprites have too much noise. You can barely tell what the skin is because it blends together as vague pile of cubes. Same with the crows. Corpus is really cool but again too much noise. Realm almost never uses noise shading so it feels really awkward and out of place. Try using more distinct colors with only 2-4 shades per each distinct color chosen. Same issue with the dragon. The legs feel like they are on the same plain as the body, head, and wings which is really weird. With normal rotmg shading methods you could make your sprites much much more identifiable. And while noise shading takes a lot of effort to do on the sprite editor program it feels really lazy to me.

(btw yes I know it isn’t actual noise shading as each pixel seems carefully placed rather than randomly. It just looks a lot like noise shading and I got nothing better to call it)

BTW I am still pissed thunder god won. The amount of effort put into that particular skin feels non-existent. :sunglasses:

What about the titanums and bridge guardian and forgotten Sentinel. Those have such crowded shading no one can even distinguish their body parts. XD

A good skin doesnt neccisarily require a lot of effort

Just in case you forgot.

(don’t get me wrong, Protuxx deserves a winner spot based on his past sprites and potential and is generally a great artist, however if the contest was judged by submissions alone then he should totally of lost. This thing is generally a mess and is very insulting to me. There where tens of entries that I feel would of been better than this.)

you’re still salty over that?

whats wrong with zeus riding a cloud shooting lightening bolts, I think it looks great

It looks like someone had a great idea and then put the bare minimum of effort into actually completing it.

My main issue besides the poor shape is the shading. Is he in a cloud? Is he wearing a toga? Who the hell knows when you have a glob of plain white. And that gray stripe! Is he wrapped in some weird cannibalistic bondage of his own hair? Is it supposed to show fluffy-ness of the ‘cloud?’? Is it overlapping fabric of a toga? Again, who the hell knows? Whats with all those loose pixels trailing off his back? What even are they? They make me lean more to him wearing a cloud for pants but I still get a toga vibe but it’s still confusing. Not to mention the walk animation is lazier than that of the base sprites. Not to mention the animations actually look clunky and make no sense since his ‘toga strap?’ changes shoulders for no reason when he walks. Maybe he is wearing a toga and riding a cloud in which case shading becomes even more important as it blends into a formless mass that would make even Laldagorth jealous!

It’s just generally very poorly done. You can’t tell what it is, the animations are bad, and almost no attempt was even made at shading the thing.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.