Deca Producer Letter - August 2019

x-post from https://www.reddit.com/r/RotMG/comments/ctj355/deca_producer_letter_august_2019/

@moderators please move to #news

Mystery Box Odds?
MotMG 2019 Discussion Megathread

ahem

Really good letter. Covered loads of things, explained loads of things, just. I love it :'3

Also, this comment deserves to bee here:

Glad to see the hacking stuff.

I am SO glad to see Deca addressing the concerns of the community like this yet again. It’s a perfect reminder of why I strongly support Deca. Keep up the good work bois :+1:

yay, another cool post that takes 10 mins to read!

wHeRe ArE tHe DuPiNg SoLuTiOnS!?’!

OwO toast is a dev now.

Do @Toastrz and @Kiddforce need the “Deca games official” tag thing now?

Kidd has one here until his KiddF account (which he has used before for PT threads). I haven’t set up my official forum account yet.

Grats to @Toastrz and @Kiddforce !!!

So correct me if im wrong but you can hack twice, dupe twice, and scam twice on one account and you will not be punished?

Used to, I believe.

Yeah i guess i skipped the paragraph that said it changed

When they gave punishments in the old method each offence got increasing lengths, but a 999 day ban required 3 offences of the same type.

The new method each offence gets increasing lengths of punishment (longer than before), and any 3 combined gets a 999(9999…) day ban.

The pity tokens in the mystery box sound like a positive way to stop the boxes being a complete waste of money due to bad luck rolling.

And they’re definitely a step up from the previous Orbs…
image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image

Wow :open_mouth:

This makes me even more excited for Unity!

I’m not sure if I’m reading this right, but the description on cheating IS saying that if someone gets caught using a hacked client for the first time (including little Timmy being told by his friend to use this third-party client to play this game called Realm of the Mad God, with little Timmy not knowing wiser), it’s a 14 day ban as that’s the first offense?

Because that’s what I’d really like happening. Rules are rules, and a 14 day ban is a good enough time for the person to figure out, if they haven’t already, what they did wrong, and then make the decision of “is it worth continuing playing on this third-party client when if I get caught again I’m going to get proceedingly longer bans, or should I just switch to the legitimate client”.
If they somehow didn’t know before that it’s a bad thing, they can learn now (by the way, I don’t really believe that a lot of people play RotMG on a third-party client without knowing otherwise. Just from a quick incognito Google search, the entire first page when you search “realm of the mad god” or “rotmg” is legitimate, no cheats being promoted. But if you follow the autocomplete suggestions and tack on a “hacked client” or “hacks” to that I’m sure you’d get to third-party clients… however, this also doesn’t mean you can feasibly claim ignorance because it’s spelled out right there for you!) with a 14 day ban.
Though ideally, the ban reason would be listed in-game when people try to log in so they don’t have to contact support to ask why. I don’t see a reason why not to add such a feature.

One thing I do feel some unease about is anything outside of duping and RWT still works on a strike system. This works for most things, in theory. However, take an incredibly severe offense, such as the ghost realms exploiting, for example. Would this still be considered as one strike?
Additionally, keep in mind that for many reasons, getting genuine evidence against someone is hard. Unfortunately, terrible people do terrible things, and faking evidence to send in bogus reports is one of them. So this adds the extra challenge of making sure that the evidence is legitimate, and I’m sure at least some evidence that wasn’t spoofed has been put aside because of the factor of uncertainty.
I believe people are aware of what it takes to actually warrant them a ban, and they can get incredibly cocky when it comes to dancing around that line. Therefore, we have the theoretical but I believe actually fairly close to reality for some players I’m aware of situation, where a player who flaunts their hacks in the community, advertises cheats openly, and intentionally uses severe fame exploits to such an extent, would only receive a 2 week ban plus fame wipes. It’s much better than nothing, but that individual knows they still have at least one chance before the final strike to get caught (and when are they next going to be caught?), and they only got a 2 week ban for intentionally using cheats to exploit fame in such a manner. There’s zero innocence here, that individual knew what they were doing and the consequences on the game’s leaderboards and community and proceeded onwards.

Another note on this: I’m hoping that the 14 days ban on first offense change does have an effect on the cheating community. It’s too early to say what it’ll do for sure. However, it’s clear that the previous system was not working too effectively, because it’s very evident how bold cheaters are in the current community and the effect they’ve had on it.

Also several things that haven’t been addressed in the cheater stuff: usage of notifiers/trackers (I’ll ask this question myself during the Q&A if no one else beats me to it); the processing and fate of the individual “A” from Sebchoof’s video (how is he seemingly ignoring the 3 strike system?); the mentioned unbanning of permabanned players that bugged customer support enough times.

Cheaters are a rather hot-button issue for me, so I can’t help but be very critical on any response relating to such topics. I really liked everything else in the producer’s letter, though!

how can i get the dev role

They come to you, not the other way around.

Sounds amazing

eh

personally think griefing should be made a much larger deal than hacking (multiboxing should be counted as griefing most of the time tbh.)

Sorta alright I guess, I’d love a way for us to be able to pay to have a “paid to play” account, where we can pay like $20 or some price like that if we wanted to, decreasing mystery box prices and alike.

(us purple names would have this added to our account for free, ofc :wink: )

also, I literally had this idea and sent it to deca a while back.

You can tell this was a while back because I was complaining about the 2 stanley skins in a row

They’re still boring for large amounts of the active player base, the main reasons they were still gone after during the UFO event is because

A. most people aren’t using notifiers

and

B. they allow the players to be very lazy and still get a reward.

chest events should be left in the higher end dungeons, like LH, Nest, and Cry. Cav. as they actually require some effort on the part of the people going after the extra loot.

do more things like the Alien event, this was really fucking cool, whoever worked on it did a great job, there were still many issues but I felt that event was the best we’ve gotten so far.

Please, please do this for the main game too, that’s one of the bigger issues with the game.

I think that with Challenger Mode, they’ll be able to try out some of their ideas in practice without ruining the main game. There’s probably a good chance that those changes might make it the main game as well, I dare say òwó