Time to show off Realmers!
There have been some art contests the past few years, but this next round is special. It is cool to see that there are Realmers who love this game so much that they dive deep into design. What do we mean by that? Creating your own dungeon concepts, sharing them with the community, asking for feedback, making changes on it and so this cycle begins. It is a process which takes unbreakable dedication and countless hours of going through all specifics of such a project.
After all, Realm of the Mad God itself came from a humble game jam and expanded over the years beyond anything thought possible at its creation. That being said, the Realm design team wanted to take up the next community contest - dungeon creation! Let’s get into details.
Dungeon Creation/Specification Contest
I. You have around 3 weeks to submit your dungeon specification. SUBMISSION DEADLINE: July 26, 2020 12:00 AM (UTC), July 26, 2020 2:00 AM (Europe: Brussels), July 25, 2020 8:00 PM (America: New York), July 25, 2020 5:00 PM (America: Los Angeles), July 26, 2020 10:00 AM (Australia: Canberra). All entries submitted after the deadline will not be reviewed!
II. One submission per person >>>SUBMIT HERE <<<, containing your dungeon’s specifications.
III. Specification details:
- Must be in a Google Doc format (mostly for the easier sharing, make sure you disable editing by anyone but yourself and enable the option to be freely viewed by anyone with the link!).
- Must be in Arial font, size 11, single space.
- Must be a maximum of 10 pages. Clearly communicated mechanics, concepts, layout information, and enemy behavior will be more valuable than ultra-specific numbers and values that can clutter the pages.
- Must not include any art (
#soon) so any specs that do have art, will not be reviewed.
- Submit the specification only once! Duplicates might take you out of the contest so make sure to submit the specification once!.
- Do not plagiarize/no copyrighted content!
- A maximum of 1 person can work on the dungeon specification.
- Mind your language! Keep it SFW, do not use any foul language.
- Use only examples of behavior, mechanics, etc from existing content. I know you are full of ideas but we want to see what you can do without going wild on any new condition effects and/or behavior that may not currently be possible as is.
- You’re only allowed to use a design specification that has never been used/shared with the community anywhere else.
Deca reserves the right to disqualify a submission if it doesn’t fit the criteria above or contains inappropriate content.
Note: You are welcome to check this guide. You can be flexible with this guide, it’s a way of showing you an example of how your spec can look. You can always remove or add whatever you want that will contribute to your dungeon’s concept!
IV. Dungeon Specification criteria
The dungeon specifications will be judged with the following criteria:
- Creativity - How unique is your idea, is it different from what currently exists?
- Ingenuity - How much can you do with the limits of the game’s design? How creative can you become when taking into account the contests limits?
- Integration - How well does it fit within the game in terms of progression and gameplay? How well does it fit in terms of lore and world building?
- Document Polish - Are sentences grammatically correct and easy to understand? Do the sections flow well into each other?
- Rank 1: 25 dungeon keys of choice (can be different but only for already existing dungeons), 5000 gold and a UT of choice!
- Rank 2: 20 dungeon keys of choice (can be different but only for already existing dungeons, 3000 gold and a UT of choice!
- Rank 3: 15 dungeon keys of choice (can be different but only for already existing dungeons), 2000 gold and a UT of choice!
- Rank 4-5: 5 dungeon keys of choice (can be different but only for already existing dungeons), 1000 gold and a UT of choice!
Note: The UT of choice reward excludes special rewards given out during events and admin items like: Jade Beetle, Abyssal Trophy, America Ring, Gold/Silver/Bronze Medals, Test Ring, Admin Staff etc.
VI. The winners will not automatically gain admission to the UGC group and the winners’ dungeons will not get automatically released into the game. Deca may offer certain outstanding dungeon makers access to the contributors group at its own discretion and will keep the right to deny a dungeon being released into the game.
Deca Games reserves the right to use any content submitted into this contest, according to the ToS.