Friday News: Public Testing fte Item Forge

Honestly, after testing I kind of find the blueprints unnecessary. As I see it, they are there to prevent just anyone from forging extremely rare items such as sanctuary whites. However, requiring specific marks to forge specific UTs (from their respective dungeons) seems to tackle this problem, as well as removing the RNG aspect of UT forging which is why UT forging exists in the first place. My suggestion: Remove blueprints and force players to bring marks to every item forge.

Seems like something realm shoudn’t have

I was finally able to reconnect to the PT.

Currently:

Regular HP Potions - No cooldown
Bottled Honey - No cooldown
Royal Jelly - No cooldown
Healing Ichor - 2 second cooldown
Oryx Stout - 2 second cooldown
Ghost Rum - 6 second cooldown
Pirate Rum - 8 second cooldown

You currently can’t put HP pots into regular slots. It appears that all consumables can only be stored in quick slots.

If the adventurer’s belt ends up costing gold, it will be another big issue. Actually, if the adventurer’s belt exists at all it will be a big issue.

The key to learning new bosses where you’d actually use a bunch of potions is using throwaway classes. I have literally lost over 30 throwaways to O3.

If this update went live, you’d only have 6 hp pots for O3 unless you spent gold (or received one through the calendar).

This puts up yet another barrier to O3.

This is exactly what I’m talking about. We have to be careful about what we ask Deca to improve because the potion solution they thought up is just awful and a step back from what we already have.

Have to agree with this. I can’t imagine why they would do this except to sell an extra backpack per character. It adds very little in terms of convenience (it’s more of an inconvenience really). I certainly wouldn’t buy it.

That reminds me… did anyone test backpack trading on Testing? I remember reading something about that in the announcement. Can we even get backpacks on Testing?

In its “defense”, you can sacrifice the 6 Mana Potion slots you carry for other healing things…but the feature still sucks absolute ass. Like, a cooldown, and you can only put them in your quick slot, and some you can only consume from your quick slot??? Dumb.
I sincerely hope this feature doesn’t come out in this release in its current state.

I hope they do sell it it, but also give players a chance to obtain it occasionally for free, like backpacks. I have no problems with them selling stuff. It’s a commercial game. But anything that helps gameplay like this should also be available for free, through logins, fame purchases or chances of drops in-game such as chests, i.e. like backpacks.

I was just thinking of how I would have implemented this instead, and I think a simple increase in the number of HP/MP pots you can stack would be worth my money. Probably a lot easier to implement than all this consumable mess. Would you buy it (assuming you’re also willing to buy backpacks)?

I did not know that was an option. That definitely will help, but the system definitely needs a rework.

I also wanted to add (I believe it was mentioned in here as well) that the UT forge places a large strain on vault space.

Unless I’m wrong, you can’t dismantle items ahead of time.

This, combined with the fact that you need to store marks, makes obtaining items less about skill and more about who has the most vault space and can store o3 marks for a long period of time.

Going forward, they should find a way to make marks a storable currently that you can click on and consume. They should also let you dismantle items ahead of time and keep those materials in the forge.

If you stack up loot boosts, your timer will be running while you progress to your target. If you stash them in your belt, you can pop them right before the worthwhile loot drops. I wouldn’t do it, but only because I’d never remember to pop them in time!

I like the idea. I mean I can imagine e.g. I want another Ogmur, but have been unlucky with LotLL drops (or maybe just way to careless with my Knights). So now I can forge one. I need lots of useless UTs (hello my 6 Juggs), and some Forgefire. Maybe I have to wait a day for more Forgefire but otherwise I am good to go.

Except I also need the recipe, from a Blueprint. Which I get by playing the game. I mean, i presume they drop from somewhere, maybe from the Ice Cave for that particular one, or the Ice Cave mark chest. As long as it’s not the same terrible odds as getting a Ogmur directly it’s fine.

Over time you will get the Blueprints through playing, just like the UTs you need for the forge. It may take a little time to assemble a good collection but I would think any active player will have no problem getting them as they are meant to be an easier route than farming the item directly.

Of note is that blueprints drop from encounter bosses and dungeons, but the items they unlock do not necessarily correspond to the boss they drop from; they’re simply 4 randomly selected items from that “tier” of blueprint (f.e. Lumiaire is in the highest tier whereas Spider’s Eye Ring is in the lowest tier; so you could get a blueprint for O3 whites from, idk, Halls, the Lost Sentry, etc.).

See, one could say the same thing about any white though. Oh, any active player should get eventually. But what about the people who get 6 juggs but no other event whites? There are unlucky people out there. There are statistical anomalies- there’s going to be someone out there who never gets the one thing they need. UT forge should remedy this, but instead we are presented with a new grind for blueprints which has the potential for the exact same issue to take place. It doesn’t matter how common they are, someone somewhere will be screwed over trying to farm a blueprint.

I think if you can do O3 5 times and have the necessary materials, nothing should be stopping you from forging an O3 white.

I would actually argue that blueprints should be very rare, but limited to special edition items.

For example, there should be a way to forge an alien core. It’s just too rare and too depressing to lose a core and know you’ll need to wait 1 year to get one again.

Another argument against it is, once I consume a loot drop potion, I normally find I am getting stuff at such a rate I return to my Vault multiple times while it is active. Going to my Vault also stops the timer on any loot boost, so can be used to stretch out their duration. So I can always collect another, if I have one, while there.

I must admit though I can see the utility for some people. In e.g. longer dungeons or dungeon chains of them, where you don’t pick up every pot and can’t return your Vault. So yes, better to actually fix it.

Is that just for testing though? But I have no problem with it, if that’s how it is. It’s better in some ways; if there’s a white you want but can’t get it as the dungeon is one that’s rarely done, then you just need to do dungeons dropping whites in the same tier. It does mean you might be waiting longer for a particular Blueprint, but I assume they are much more common than actual whites so any active player will be able to collect them relatively easily.

On the subject of blueprints, did anyone notice that they aren’t soulbound? Maybe misremembering which item I was looking at (not able to check atm) but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t marked. Would that change how you feel about the blueprint system?

Edit: They are tradeable. Backpack trading works too.

Exactly!

Do healing ichors and wines and whatnot have a cooldown time on testing?

Yes

That’s lame. Is it also true you couldn’t use inventory hotkeys to use consumables anymore from your inventory?

Edit: also honestly why is so much packed into this testing update? The item forge and consumables changes require their own thorough testing (and feedback)