Hey I just randomly thought of an idea for UT trading. Not sure if it's good? 'Trader Gnome'

So the idea is pretty simple, just introduce a mob like the candy gnome, it will spawn around midlands and it has a very rare chance to be spotted kinda like the candy gnome. Once you kill this mob it will drop a merchant/trader for 15 seconds or so. This dropped trader will facilitate the trading of UT items and only 1 UT can be traded per trader before it disappears. And maybe make it only spawn once per realm or twice maybe.

That way past dupers who duped to merch away their UTs or websites with a whole stockpile UTs got from duping won’t be able to constantly sell them away at a ridiculous rate. I mean i don’t believe a superduper/merchant would start playing the game looking for a rare gnome just to trade 1 UT away as the time would simply be not worth it to them.

This was legit players can at least have a way to trade UTs by legitly playing and finding this rare mob. Plus it would add a fun new concept to the game lol. Imagining agreeing to trade and than having to set out together to find the trader in order to proceed.

This idea would not flood the game with past UTs because if only 1 ‘trader gnome’ spawns per game the amount of UTs being traded will still me minimal. Plus it won’t allow for level 1 accounts to trade as midlands might be a little too dangerous. If you still want to mitigate the risk of having pure merchant accounts trading for profit you can scale the difficulty of this ‘trader gnome’ even more.

Let me know what you guys think of this idea:D Legit players who have played for many years without getting the UT they want and love can now at least save up to buy it from someone else, even if it takes a lot more effort! I truly believe making UTs tradable even in a quirky way will benefit the game as it might keep a potential bored player who is deciding to quit to stay if he knows he has a chance to try out a certain rare item that he could never get.

Edit: if you wanna make it even more secured towards the targetted audience (longtime players who have never gotten the UT they want), you can even add a star restriction to restrict those who haven’t reached the star limit to use this ‘trader gnome’

Imagine how happy the Rogue players will be when quiet realms and servers get completely overrun with people desperately trying to trade their UTs.

And even if you don’t give a shit about Rogue players (which is understandable, considering that they don’t give a shit about you either), it’s still the most unpractical form of trading ever, only ever topped by the Beach Bum one (which I’m pretty sure is only a rumor and doesn’t actually work).

The good thing about normal trading is that it doesn’t completely break the flow of the game. It’s simple and quick. Your method, however, requires the two players to stick together for an extended period of time and completely focus on finding this one rare mob.

My advice would be to try and find an equally convoluted method, but one that isn’t as boring and unwieldy as this one.

Wouldn’t it be better to just make UTs unsoulbound instead of this convoluted approach?
Oh yeah, that’s right.

Your method is implementing a convoluted way to trade soulbound items.
But it is still a way to trade soulbound items none the less.
UT trading has already been discussed in and out.
It’s not happening.

Also your post is really trying to drive the point home that it would help legit player than it would dupers.
But it wouldn’t, it would give a new incentive for dupers to dupe UTs.
Because why dupe a UBHP when you can now sell Crowns instead.

Also you haven’t specified a range limit.
What I imagine is a hired farmer going out in midlands to hunt for the gnome while 80 people wait at the beach to trade.
The gnome kill is announced and everyone trades, vaults their items, comes back to realm and the cycle repeats.

This idea helps anyone other than the average legit player.

Lastly this idea would be incredibly hard to implement, creating an event that allows only some untradable items to suddenly become tradable for a certain amount of time? Yes making everything soulbound right before oryx is already implemented, but I’m not sure only making certain tagged items tradable will be easy.

@RMGnoob I don’t really understand how some people walking around midlands would hinder a rogue’s experience, maybe you could further elaborate to me? But if it does indeed hinder a rogue’s experience in a quiet realm, maybe the solution would be to only allow the ‘trader gnome’ to spawn in realms with more than 40/80 people? Would that be a good solution? Because in a realm of more than 40/80 people I don’t see how the pairs of people looking for the ‘trader gnome’ would hinder the rogue more than the other players would.

And about it being a convoluted way to trade, it is intended to be this way to prevent excessive UT trading between dupers and players. But if a player does indeed want to sell his UT and another does indeed want to buy the UT, wouldn’t the compromise be worth it? Since it is better than nothing after all.

Also fun subjective, in my opinion i think itll be pretty fun to run around looking for a mob with another person with the same interest as me. To me it is like another form of coop just that it has something to do with trading after. I can get to know my fellow player better and when we eventually find it we might give each other discounts. This idea is not meant to be a straight forward UT trading sort of thing, it is supposed to be for the people who want to trade the UT with someone they want to give it to and not just purely for profit. Of course if you are a merchant who does low price buy and high price sales this will be boring to you if you indeed try to trade UTs, but that is intended, it is exactly to prevent the profiting of buying and selling UTs. It is a system where people can trade UTs because they want to use it and not profit of it.

Long story short, it is meant to be an activity which gives players a chance to exchange UTs out of goodwill, because the buyer wants to use it and the seller doesnt need it. It is not a system for people to buy/sell to profit of UT trading which is intended.

@BroooMC I don’t know if you actually read my post thoroughly but I will try to reiterate what I wrote in my first post. I do know why conventionally unbounding soulbound items would be a problem, because it would crush the economy due to the past major duping incidents and current minor duping incidents. That is why I have suggested various ways to counter those potential outcomes. But you simply brushed off my entire line of solutions by saying it is exactly the same as conventionally making UTs tradable. If you really feel that it would lead to the same outcomes as making UTs unsoulbound, can you pls elaborate further to me so that I can change my thought process and come up with another idea?

The problem you imagined with a hired farmer to go out looking for the gnome while everyone waited is that I mentioned that the gnome would only facilitate 1 trade of 1 UT item before it disappeared. That is why it would be pointless for 80 people to be waiting on 1 gnome when only 2 people would benefit from it. But you have a point about the hired farmer, maybe the solution might be that only the person who kills the ‘trader gnome’ gets to do the trade? Either way I don’t see 80 people in a realm waiting to compete with each other to kill a single gnome that 1 other person is finding when only 2 people can trade with it before it disappears.

As for implementing it. First of all it is not an event. It will just be a mob called the ‘trader gnome’, once it is killed it will drop a merchant called the ‘trader’. The system would not require changing any of the way soulbinding works, it will be a completely new system. What I have imagined is that when both players talk to the ‘trader’ a totally new UI would come up where they can only put 1 UT item in and any other items to trade.

I understand that you might be thinking of this as a major way to suddenly trade UTs in a large scale. But it is not, my idea would be a small scale niche sort of trading that when 2 players want to dedicate the time to buying and selling a UT they will set out to find the ‘trader gnome’. Because only 1 gnome spawns per realm, and 1 trade can only occur from 1 gnome, a scenerio where a large scale hired farmer and 80 people waiting on him won’t really be realised.

Dupers will be deterred from duping because they wont be able to make huge profit from it, so what if they can dupe 10 crowns, the chances and time it will take them to find a gnome to sell even 1 would already turn them off. But lets just say that maybe dupers are willing to go that far. Than i have a solution, just make it so that there is a limit to the number of UTs a person can buy/sell through the ‘trader gnome’ every month or week. This way it will be even harder for a player looking to profit from duping to make any profit at all.

I hope I have cleared up any misunderstanding you have about this idea, it is NOT an idea to unsoulbind items, it is an idea to trade UTs. UTs will still be soulbound, but if you can find this rare gnome which is 1 in a realm which only allows 1 UT per trade, you can than trade 1 UT. Other than that it will still remain soulbound.

Please continue to let me know of any other concerns you have with this idea, and elaborate on it so that we can work together to come up with a better solution to make rotmg a better experience for us all.

Normally only Rogue players go to empty realms/servers so they can have their solo events. If your idea is implemented, a fuckton of people will seek fresh empty realms since those are the most likely to still have a Trader Gnome in them, which means they’ll be in the same realm as the Rogue when he’s doing quests and, in all likelihood, when an event spawns, in which case they might decide to go for the event while they’re here.

That would be even worse because finding the gnome would be a complete crapshoot, and since Oryx doesn’t announce his presence or his death you could be running around the realm for hours before you realize it’s already dead.

With a design philosophy like that, you’re going to drive players away from RotMG. Remember: it’s just a game, not a job or a lifestyle.

… which is why you shouldn’t try to push your idea of fun on everyone else, especially when it’s an idea a majority of other players will not consider fun, like farming midlands for an eternity whilst having to constantly stay with a person you might not enjoy being with.

You’re not putting forward incentives to really play co-op, you’re just forcing people to stay with a person they want to trade with but not necessarily play with, and on top of that forcing them to stay away from any content that could be even remotely interesting.

Actually after reading all your comments I just came up with another idea, since it seems to bother you guys a lot that many people would be disrupting the realm trying to find this ‘trader gnome’. How about if at the end of an easy to find dungeon for example Sprite world, the boss has a white bag chance 1% to summon the trader, just imagine like the chance thessal has to ask you a question, just that the chance the Sprite world boss has to summon a trader is like getting a white bag.

People already look for sprite worlds all the time, and Sprite worlds are really easy to find in the realm so people won’t be going about ‘disrupting’ the realm (I still don’t understand how people running around doing their own thing would disrupt a realm).

Now instead of pointlessly looking for the trader gnome that from your feedback is pointless and boring, you can instead start farming dex with the guy who you want to trade with. That way you will still benefit from dex and def drops while trying to get the trader to drop.

With the 1% drop rate it won’t be THAT easily available and at the same time it won’t be too easy such that Traders will use it to buy/sell UTs all the time. Plus it also solves the problem that people might hire other players to go find the trader for them since the person trading actually has to be in the dungeon to trade.

As of now Sprite worlds are pretty abundant such that a single Sprite god can spawn 2-4 worlds, people would just go in to clear them just like they would farming dex.

Is this idea better? It won’t affect rogues, it won’t disrupt the realm, and it doesn’t rely people having to know if the gnome is dead or not from my previous idea and most importantly it is a productive way of doing it. Whether you find the process fun or not you will still be farming dex/def/whitebag fodder, so it won’t feel like a chore. It will still be tedious but it won’t feel pointless.

Something to note is that the trader must not be an item drop so that it cannot be duped, it should be like the Thessal question where the process occurs in the dungeon itself and can’t be brought out.

This trading system won’t be like the conventional system where you just have to meet the buyer/seller and say a few words and leave. As I believe UTs are a really special item, to be able to trade it between players should actually require some kind of effort put into. Trading a UT should not be about profiting off the trade, instead what I have imagined it to be is that players are willing to help each other by trading UTs to each other that they don’t really have a need for (for a price ofc). This system of trading is supposed to allow realm players to have a chance at enjoying every quirky weapon/ability or look. Some players who might not have the time/skill to grind for a UT they want to try out should still have a different way to get them. This might appeal to both casual and hardcore gamers and make a better realm experience for all:D

Please do continue to give me feedback on where you think might not work and pls elaborate more! I am not the most experienced person in realm so if you could give me examples it would also be appreciated, for example how would players disrupt the realm etc. Thanks for reading so far.

@RMGnoob don’t get me wrong though, I’m not trying to push my ideas on anyone, that is why I’m asking for feedback from you guys and will try to change my idea based on what things different people might not like about it. It is not a finalised idea I am proposing. I’m just asking for feedback and am willing to change any parts of the idea.

Also thanks for your constructive feedback keep them coming! I posted another idea above which addresses some of the concerns that you guys gave me.

Just thought of how it could be fit into lore wise too! Since limon the Sprite god is sorta like a god that controls space time or something like that (his weird world in another dimension plus planwalker).

In the lore of the mad god, UTs are incredibly rare and powerful but sometimes quirky items. When an adventurer has found one of these UT items, the power emanating from it immediately binds the item to his soul, soulbound. The UT serves to strengthen the adventurer and is destined to be by his side forever.

However, only 1 entity in the realm can temporarily weaken the bond between a UT and his master. In order for this to happen, the adventurer has to venture to the godlands in search of a mysterious portal dropped by the apostles of Limon. Once the adventurer has entered the other dimension, the bond shared with the UT begins to weaken… But in order to fully rip the UT from his soul, the adventurer has to first defeat the Sprite god Limon which is said to very rarely emit an energy powerful enough to warp space and time strong enough to deliver the final blow needed to temporarily seperate the UT from Its owner. This energy will only be emitted by Sprite gods that have surpassed their peers (where the 1% chance comes in).

What do you guys think or this lore? :smiley: just seems like it would fit haha.

I have to admit I might be biased on this, since Candyland Hunting Grounds easily makes my Top 5 for Most Hated Dungeons and the Trader Gnome is based on the Candy Gnome.

It’s a step in the right direction, but it’s still forced co-op and breaks the flow of the game too much.

I’ve been talking a lot about everything wrong with your idea, so I guess maybe I should tell you how I would do it. So imagine something like this:

-Every boss that can drop Incs can now also drop a new item called a Seal of the Merchant (I’m just lazy as hell, so imagine a purple Inc).

-The Tinkerer now has a separate tab, with only one quest.

-This new quest asks you for a Seal of the Merchant and gives you a Special Token (like a regular Token, but purple). It only works once per day, as all other quests, and your Special Token count gets reset each day as well.

-A new key is added to the key rotation in the Nexus Shop, called a VIP’s Key. It costs 1 Special Token to purchase.

-These two measures make the system really hard to exploit, and much easier for Deca to track down exploiters if a flaw happens to be found (since any exploit would appear on their account’s purchase history)

-The VIP’s Key opens a new dungeon called the Secret Trading Room.

-The Secret Trading Room has a player limit of 2, meaning that everyone else trying to enter would only get a “Dungeon is full.” message.

-The STR has no enemies in it, only one NPC, the Trader.

-The Trader has an interface similar to the Tinkerer, except it has 8 slots to put whatever items you want to, including UTs.

-As you put items in, you can see what the other person is putting too.

-When you click a “Finished!” button at the bottom of the interface, the Trader makes all the items you put in the slots spawn in the other player’s gift chests, and all the items the other player put in his slot, in your gift chests. Of course, you can’t take back your items and he can’t take back his.

-If more than two players try to access the Trader at once (which could happen in theory, if more than two players entered the dungeon at the same time or if more players entered while the first two were still in loading), he gets angry, screams at you and disappears.

-Once the transaction is over, the Trader congratulates both players and disappears.

Ah thanks for understanding that I meant no harm haha. Actually I think your idea might be better than mine! I just returned to the game after a Long time before the Traders got introduced. But if I’m not wrong does it mean that even if you have more than 1 seal of the merchant from maybe hoarding, you could still only trade one UT a day? If that is so it might actually be a good idea!

I agree that it would be easy for deca to track down exploiters since the seal of the merchant would be a rare drop and if any account constantly traded it in for the VIP key you were talking about every single day, DECA could easily check his in game activity since it is very hard to acquire an inc rarity item daily without duping.

My only suggestion to your idea would maybe be that it takes more than 1 seal of the merchant to complete the quest. Since trading UTs should be a rarer occurrence I feel it is a good idea to only allow players to buy a UT only after they have spent some time getting multiple seals of the merchant:D I believe it would help UTs still feel special as if you have worked for it. This would also allow DECA to track down exploiters even easier if they decide to dupe the seal of the merchant. Technically it would take an average player with average luck maybe a week to be able to buy a key.

Thanks for the suggestion @RMGnoob haha. But the Sprite world lore! D: Gotta think of a cool lore for this one!

Thanks for understanding my intentions, I just sorta thought back to the old days before the major duping incident. I was a new player 4.5 years ago, rotmg was an amazing game to me. I read all the wikis and all the wonderful items and than I saw the doombow! I remember how I felt that UDLs were pretty intimidating to me than haha so I decided to slowly save up 150 def pots! Based on the current market price at that time. I literally created mules to start slowly collecting def pots I have farmed in the godlands (yes I was a noob at that time:c). But it was that feeling of being able to work towards something no matter how Long it took (my 0/8 wiz farming 150 defs). That feeling where I knew that if I worked at it Long enough I could eventually see my efforts pay off. That’s the feeling I miss about UT trading, I don’t want UTs to be common or everywhere, I do really wish UTs would revert to their original price of 200 def or more. I just miss the old days before the major duping incident, that’s why I’m trying to suggest ways we can get that feeling back! So that new players can experience it too and old players can relive it!:smiley:

Edit: I just realised a slight issue with your solution though, since only 1 player has to buy the key, it would allow the seller to not need a key at all to trade. Hmm maybe there is a way to work around this (maybe both party members must have a key to enter? feels like it would be too much of a turn off for the seller)… but I’m off to bed for now haha maybe you have a better solution. Will be back in the morning!

Or just make UTs work like skins, where after you trade it, you gotta go to your vault, then back to nexus, then use it.

For example, i get a UT as a drop. For 10 minutes, it’s unsoulbound. If you move it from one spot in your inventory to another, it becomes SB. (would suck if someone put it in their backpack)

Once you go through two portals, it becomes SB.

The time restriction and movement restriction would basically only allow UTs that were actually looted to be traded, without being hindered by this cancerous event.

@Trofimowen but I think 10 mins would be too short of a time for someone to decide if he wants to keep or sell it though and also too short of a time to find a buyer.

Awful idea 0/10

Well, it’s the most amount of trading flexibility while keeping the chance of duped tradable UTs to a 0.

I don’t really think that the time restriction is necessary; movement restriction and becoming SB after trading is more than enough.

Suppose I loot a jugg (hah, that’s funny…). If I were to dupe the jugg, I could get a maximum of two juggs before both become SB. I can’t RWT it or anything. Sure I have two juggs, but that’s not economy breaking or game-changing.

Oh come on, this is like arguing that you don’t need a 20 character password. Sure, you don’t, but considering what’s at stake, every possible extra security is completely worth it.

Also, because the item is only tradable for 10 minutes, it will keep the price of them at a good rate, as the demand will be fixated to the players who are online at that time.

I guess…

It’d definitely bring down prices of items. With the 10 minute time limit, traders will be scrambling to find somebody to buy their UT.

For example, say I loot a jugg (I sure do fantasize about this a lot) and you’re the only one online who wants to buy one. If I were to want to sell it (…), I’d definitely need bring down the price so you’d actually buy it, instead of waiting for another offer.

@Trofimowen but if you look at rmgnoob’s idea, it is also pretty good at keeping dupers at Bay and it’s flexible at the same time. My idea is also pretty good at keeping dupers at Bay but requires more effort and is sort of a minigame/activity system. 10 mins to trade is too inflexible in my opinion and won’t be beneficial to players who don’t dupe, it’s sorta like treating cancer, we want to kill off the cancerous cells and not the good cells at the same time, haha and your idea is practically killing off most of the good cells. Maybe if the time was extended to an hour or 2 hours it might be better but even than I’m still a little skeptical about the feasibility of it.

And as unicornsla also mentioned by restricting movement of the item and making t soulbound after trading it already guarantees that it would be impossible for dupers to dupe an item to trade it.

Indeed, that is a problem. Dupers would still be able to empty their mules without running a single dungeon on them, simply by asking their buyers to provide the key.

Then maybe, instead of it being pretty much an empty dungeon, how about we make it a real one?

Instead of the VIP’s Key it’d be the Smugglers’ Key, and it’d open the Secret Broker’s Hideout, a mid-to-endgame dungeon filled with traps. There’d be some sort of danger in the spawning room (maybe monsters spawn after a while, or turrets start shooting, or the floor slowly turns into lava) so that entering the dungeon with a lvl 1 Wizard and 8 Juggs in inventory would be suicidal. Teleporting would be disabled in the entire dungeon, and since there’d be endlessly respawning monsters and/or indestructible turrets and/or environmental hazards, both players would be forced to go into this as a team. Trading is also disabled in the whole dungeon.

Gavin the Secret Broker (Craig’s distant cousin, forsaken by the family for his merching ways) would be an NPC that would function as I described the Trader would.

To make this less tedious, the dungeon itself would have some sort of reward. The boss, Francis the Bodyguard, would be able to drop Inc, Def and Atk (at least 1 Def and 1 Atk are guaranteed), as well as at least 1 UT specific to him (need more time to invent that one).

@RMGnoob hmm a dungeon, but I can’t be too hard though because I don’t think many people would risk carrying a UT in a dangerous dungeon haha. By mid to end game dungeon do you mean something like Sprite world/udl difficulty or more like Abbys sewers difficulty? If it is a Sprite world difficulty the duper could just rush on a knight but if it’s Abbys difficulty it might be a little too dangerous, not sure how I would go about setting that fine line.

I think trofimowens idea is sorta simple and feasable too, just make UTs soulbound once it is traded. That way dupers won’t be able to dupe any items to trade as I believe duping often requires some glitch in the trading system? That way UTs can only be circulated once and it would prevent marching of UTs.

Sometimes the solution lies in the simplest ideas XD