Ideas for pets

Pets are often said to be broken. Since pets were added the priest and necro classes weren’t used as much as before especially since the game’s loot system is based primarily on dmg done to boss/chest. I have some ideas to pets that won’t nerf them drastically but make them interesting.

My first idea involves stats for pets. Players have stats like vitality the regens our hp and wisdom that regens our mp that aren’t as sought after as stats like defense, attack, and health. What if when we feed our pets stat potions the stats increase. Vitality can boost the pet’s healing frequency and some of the health received from the pet each time. Wisdom can boost the pet’s mp healing rate. Stats like Att and Dex can boost the pet’s Attacking abilities but since attacking abilities are not sought after as much as support abilities it can provide incentive to farming for the 2 other stat potions that are not as sought after currently. Hp can affect the frequency of the “Decoy” ability and Mp can affect the frequency of paralyzation from the “Electric” ability. Since pets are immortal, the increase from a singular potion will be quite a bit small but the max stat can be big. This will also accompanied to a nerf on the improvement of these abilities by normal feeding and leveling. This will provide an incentive to obtain vitality and wisdom potions as well as nerf current divine pets that are drunk on ambrosia.

Another idea is new pet abilities. I will also which and how stat potions affect them if the above idea is implemented. My first new abilities will be Buffs like healing (increase in hp regen not direct healing), armored, berserk, speedy, and strength can be applied. Something else to add on to my first idea is an mp bar for pets that will affect the frequency abilities like the current Rising fury and Electric as well as my buffing idea similar to how mp affects the player’s ability. Another new set of pet abilities is giving enemies negative status effects from their attacks. This can be added to current pet abilities but can be made into new abilities. Maybe an ability that uses RNG to determine the debuff an enemy receives.

My third idea is a change to pet leveling. Pets currently gain abilities at uncommon and legendary rarities. What if the pet receives a point at Rare and divine rarities that can be used to get any ability other than heal or mp heal? My second main idea adds more abilities a pet can receive which can make some people anxious about which pet they want to focus on leveling. This will allow pets to receive more abilities to alleviate that anxiety. This can also promote people trying new abilities if they already have the abilities they want. Also, before you ask, you cannot have multiple of one ability to stack. If you already have it, you can’t get it again on the same pet.

My final idea is Pet slots, somewhat similar to character slots, That allow you to have multiple pets following you. These should probably have 3 slots max and it affects the account and not a specific character. These should also cost gold and be a bit more pricey than character slots since they have a greater effect on players. Perhaps maybe you could add in an item like a backpack that allows one character to have an additional pet slot. This item could be lost upon death if used on a character or in inventory.

You can still add some indents if you use the code

at the start of the paragraphs, like this

Start of the paragraph.

if you like. But if you do it with just spaces, the forums tries to interpret it and messes it up.

@Ivector you could delete your post? as the original is now fixed :relaxed:

Oops. There seems to be a formatting error. Thx IVector for fixing it. :grinning:
Also thx to Nevov for helping me fix it:grinning:

Here’s why it will not work, all in one sentence.

People With Divine Pets Already Will Be Mad They Cannot Get And Try The New Abilities And Use Them Unless they pay for another pet, and these are the people who give DECA most of their money anyway, possibly making them quit and reducing DECA’s income.

ANY change to the pet system involving nerfs will likely drastically reduce DECA’s income, making ROTMG not earn them as much money as where pets are right now, unless they actually BUFF the pets.

How about if the new abilities were clumped into just 2 abilities? Then with my idea of choosing abilities will make them accessible at Rare and Divine would work. They could still add these abilities even when divine. Then my ideas would be fully accessible to any pet.

I’d like it if the pets did have some kind of stat system, it would make them a lot more interesting if you were able to max different stats on them however you desired. You could have a variety of different pets in your yard, some with strong heal/MPheal but weaker in other abilities, others with moderate heal/MP but strong abilities like elec/atk, and then it gives you some tactical decisions to make if you’re going out godlandsing or dungeoning, which pet to bring.

@JLTheBeast - As long as the transfer method between “current pets” and “new pets” was sensible/fair (so for example a level 75 gets changed into 75% maxed on the new system, or 75% of a level 100 equivalent), players shouldn’t have any need to complain. Of course, they will do, this is Rotmg!!

& it’s not necessarily true to say that any nerf would automatically reduce income. It is a complicated situation.

Players don’t spend money on a pet knowing that the next level up will hit them a MP heal rate of 8517.3 per minute or whatever, they just see the next number 78->79, and the tiers labelled “Rare”, “Divine” etc, and spend to hit that next target, unlock the yard, get the divine sprite. etc. It’s a pretty clever method to wheedle money out of players incrementally.

More on pet buff/nerf & pricing

(Pulling numbers out of thin air)

Say it currently costs $40 to get a pet to the MP level it can perma-cloak a rogue
& say 50 players buy it per month = $2,000 per month

If they nerf MP heal, now you need to spend $50 to get to perma-cloak level
some players won’t pay the higher, but 45 players might still buy it = $2,250 p/m :chart_with_upwards_trend:

Consider, if they buffed pets, such that you only need to spend $25 to get to perma-cloak.
it now attracts 75 players to buy it = $1,875 p/m :chart_with_downwards_trend:

It’s the balance between setting the price high, but low enough that players are still attracted to spend gold over just farming for fame. And maximising this to get your highest possible income.

Or just take away their healing abilities

Fast Forward To His Idea Being Implemented

What If His Buffs, say these, are applied?

What happens is some abilities actually become completely devoid, and I see some of these buffs completely changing the meta in pets, for example armored. The current players who have spent money on their pets would feel cheated out of better abilities.

Remember, these people are probably also supplying DECA with more money on things like vaults and keys, because the chances of them spending money only on pets is likely low. They may even quit, reducing money flow from other things like keys and vaults.

Possible Solution, And Why It Will Not Work

The only way to solve this would be to give players a chance to change their abilities to make sure they don’t rage, but the problem with this is simply giving the players too much leniency on their pets, making it in my opinion a tad bit too easy, coming from someone who has easily spent 20 life trying to get mheal/heal/elec or decoy, which, again, may turn irrevelant if the changes apply.

This would make Divine Pets even more OP, and who says the owners wouldn’t want say, 3 of your abilites completely replacing the original ones?

Lol. If I’m not mistaken people love spending gold. 10 divine pets?!!! JEES

They could nerf pet abilities like healing or make it so you could use the “point” to upgrade an existing ability giving the game more depth.

Armored is a bit op. Perhaps a weaker version of it that gives 1/8 of the player’s defense increase. Or maybe make the ability have a 20 second cooldown and a random buff is applied based on RNG.

I like the discussion. Especially since it makes me think and create revisions. Thx for the feedback!

Inb4 Nobel Prize

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.