Incentive for running/rushing a dungeon

hello i’m making this post because i think currently a lot of the dungeons aren’t very fun or engaging for most of the players in a dungeon. sitting in the spawn room and waiting for 1 or 2 ppl to rush the dungeon a lot of the time is boring. while being a rusher can be fun in my opinion, you gain nothing currently except the sense of pride that you carried the dungeon. here’s a couple different things i thought of to help solve this core gameplay issue.

option 1
a chest will spawn that has chances for all the loot the boss/bosses drop upon being the first one to enter the boss room. initially i thought this one sounded good when talking with my friend but now i realize it wasn’t very thought out. could be abused by having someone tp right before the boss room and running in while the guy who was initially rushing gets left behind because hes not as fast, doesn’t have a teleport spacebar or is handling mobs.

option 2
remove teleport in dungeons. spacebar teleports would still work. this pretty much solves the issues of ppl leeching but i’m sure this would trigger a lot of ppl because they are used to having someone else run the dungeon for them and some would say this would slow down the pace at which they get loot and be more boring then sitting leeching and waiting for a rush.

option 3
an interactable object in dungeons that turns off your natural ability to teleport to players in the dungeon for bonus loot chance/new loot?/double loot. pretty much speaks for itself, i like this idea quite a bit. place the object in the spawn room next to the portal of cowardice. could also be implemented naturally and is removed upon teleporting for the first time in the dungeon. available in most dungeons that have a path to the boss. (so no candyland or any dungeons that only consist of a boss fight.)

lemme know what you guys think and if this is well thought out enough to be posted outside of works in progress. thx

###edit 10/22/2019###

option 4
dungeon mobs have a chance to drop things worthwhile. this option is good because everyone who is helping clear has a chance for loot. the downside to this option is the classes that love to rush past all the mobs, trickster and rogue, will be missing out on the loot from the mobs if they choose to skip past everything.

i think it would be cool to see a mixture of my alt option 3 and option 4. it could be interesting to see what people choose to do in a dungeon given these different choices of play style.

I think turning off teleportation in most dungeons would be good.

It really is a difficult issue. While I wish it were as simple as disabling teleport, it really isn’t. Think about how many dead ends you run into when exploring a dungeon! Unless everyone follows the same path, even a rusher might miss the boss if he is off on a separate branch when the boss is found. Especially paces like snake, udl, and sprite where the boss dies in a matter of seconds.

I was hoping an idea would come to me to pose as a counter-solution while I was writing this, but unfortunately I really can’t think of anything. It is a tough problem. Really too bad! On the rusher side, you don’t want to risk your life only for some leechers to steal your loot. On the other side, the leechers somehow don’t realize that they are literally choosing to not play the game they are playing, which is such an obvious paradox I can’t even believe it happens! I simply don’t understand.

this is why i like the alternative option 3 i came up with (the the buff is automatically applied to everyone upon entering the dungeon). considering the dungeon is relatively easy, players can either split up and if there’s only one guy who makes it to the boss who doesn’t have gear then you will still have time to run to the boss room. if the player who found the boss room does have good gear/stats then you will have to teleport and be forced to forfeit your chance for the extra loot. this gives a reward for the person who found the boss room. although this option does have the one downside you mentioned (not getting extra loot if you weren’t the first to find the boss room), this made me think of another option.

option 4
dungeon mobs have a chance to drop things worthwhile. this option is good because everyone who is helping clear has a chance for loot. the downside to this option is the classes that love to rush past all the mobs, trickster and rogue, will be missing out on the loot from the mobs if they choose to skip past everything.

i think it would be cool to see a mixture of my alt option 3 and option 4. it could be interesting to see what people choose to do in a dungeon given these different choices of play style.

I think the issue is just the nature of what a dungeon is in realm. Its just an obstacle between you and the boss that is more inconvenient than it is an experience. Why else would “rushing” exist in the first place. There are literally dungeons that goes straight to the boss room because the Devs probably realize we just want the boss and not the dungeon i.e. Heroics, Encore, LoD, Reef. Disabling teleportation would help in the sense of getting people to run dungeons, but from a player experience, its now both boring and slow as oppose to just boring.

Removing teleport but still allowing spacebar teleport makes no sense as it’s just another way of teleporting. People would e.g. write macros to do it, or add it as an option to hacked clients.

But the other problem with it is it’s nearly impossible to design a dungeon with it. E.g. consider two notable endgame dungeons with teleport disabled.

Shatters The first room is meant to be done two ways. You either go down the middle clearing. Or you go round the edge not triggering the majority of the mobs, only the one or two that are too close to triggers. But what happens instead is people steamroller through everything, using hacks to do the trigger behind a wall and outrunning everything else, waking up everything so it is much harder for anyone following.

Lost Halls. This is meant to be done one way: clear it room by room. HP scaling encourages people to stick together and support each other, not spread out. The need to find all the flames for the Titan means you need to clear pretty much all of it. But more and more now if you do a public Shatters someone rushes, using a combination of class abilities, and OP pet and hacks. At least this does not wake the enemies like Shatts, but if you can’t also rush there’s nothing you can do to catch up.

The only of your options that makes sense is the last, have minions drop stuff. This does already happen - a few dungeons you can get STs and UTs from clearing, and a few more you can get consumables. This could be expanded so every dungeon they drop something unique and interesting, at a low rate.

There is already an incentive for rushing. Either you clear and take a lot longer, or you rush and get done faster lol it ain’t called a fast paced game for nothing.

At, I think I misunderstood when I first read your post. Yeah, I think that option 3 is pretty good!

Unfortunately, a lot of dungeon minions already have some good drops, but everyone still leeches (mlab and library, in particular), and the one place where that seems to have been implemented successfully is Fungal Caverns, where pretty much everyone goes and wants to roll the deca jackpot, and no one even goes in there anymore anyway. What would they have to put as a reward for people to actually go? Because apparently def pots, STs, and UTs are not enough :(.

Here are my thoughts on this.

Option 1 - Like you said, could be abused a ton. Not a big fan of this one.

Option 2 - A decent idea, and I see where you’re going at. However, teleportation has always been a pretty big game feature, and I would hate to see it dwindle by that much. Besides, a few dungeons already have this, so I don’t think a push is necessary.

Option 3 - A better idea, but the implementation of an extra entity for each and every dungeon can be both weird and extra unnecessary work. I’m all for an automatic no-TP bonus, though!

Option 4 - Probably the most realistic idea, as DECA does occasionally add new items to the game. Even items from Events last a while.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.