Is merching better than playing the game?

That’s definitely true for fame trainers, but after years of Shatters they’re not the only one who have looted Shatters rings. LH whites are getting there as well, albeit more slowly due to how much harder it is to do public and/or with smaller groups.

Didn’t it start at 8L and then drop to 4 because of the next big duping outbreak?

But that’s the thing: there are plenty of factors that determine the price, and most of them (like what the owner does with the game) are out of your control.

The only change that would fuck non-merchants would be a direct nerf and we both know how rare that is.

Again: all those are just price considerations. An Inc will always open a Wine Cellar. A Sky will always be a good weapon that can be equipped on very powerful classes.

It’s more a matter of “time spent merching”/“time spent playing the game” ratio. Personally, I think spending more time merching than going into the realm or dungeons is a waste of time (especially when people do it wrong and sit in USWest nexus for hours on end).

You can’t go off the initial release price. Many items start at 8L and get brought down due to duping/people getting drops.

True, I probably can’t influence the price over a year’s time, but I can make it go crazy for 2 weeks, a month, maybe 2 months. I mean think about what would happen if I bought up 12000 acclaims for 2 life each over the course of a year and then decided to give them away for free over the course of a week. Acclaim would be worthless.

Meh, sky will not always be good if next month the t14 sword becomes tradable. Acclaim will drop down to 0.5-1L (It already is close to 1L and the t14 isn’t even tradable).

I mean, realistically, you can go from 0L to an 8/8 with top gear (~55L) in the course of a week. All you need to do to get the ball rolling is get a mana worth of pots from the godlands to start off the merch train. Trying to get an 8/8 by playing the game normally will probably take you a month if you are starting from scratch, two weeks if you grind every day and already have vast game knowledge/lots of people to pop keys for you. Pretty much all of the super fast ppes you see on youtube are just a bunch of white stars getting carried through guild shatters and tombs by their guildmates.

Buying 12000 acclaims, over a year, wouldn’t affect the price. That’s only 32 acclaim trades per day. A drop in the ocean of Rotmg. The playerbase will get through 32 acclaim trades in more like 5-10 minutes.

And sure, if a player gave away 12000 acclaims it would cause a price dip, though the community would burn through them pretty quickly. We’re on approx 12500* 1/8+ deaths in a week, then after that week, it would be business and prices back to normal market factors.

You would have better chance to deliberately affect the price if you target some rare desirable item (eg. Skeleton Warrior), consistently buy all of them for (say) 6L over a couple of months, and then slowly release your stocks for 8L. This would work apart from the two things: if/if not there is duping going on & other merchers who might interfere/undercut you.

@Kedricos thanks for that catch, edited/corrected.

It’s actually ~12.5k deaths a week as realmeye tracks the last two weeks although it doesn’t really change what you’re saying. Acclaims was a mediocre example at best.

I use a combo of merching and playing. I’ll take my savings for a new char and maybe spend 2 hours getting decent gear and as much def as I can. Selling mana to people who give a combo of def, att, and gear seems to work in my favor, it just takes a little longer to finish my merching.

That is the point… If I buy 12,000 acclaims in one day, the price jumps, but if I buy them over the course of a year, of course the price won’t change. That’s the point. I don’t want to buy 12,000 then sell 12,000 on the same day. That just makes no sense, since I will be undoing everything that I do, but if I buy them slowly then sell abruptly, the market won’t have time to adjust and the price will crash.

I guarantee you if I drop 12,000 acclaims for free the market will crash. It’s not about how many deaths there are per week, because you need to understand that the market already supplies enough acclaims to support those 12,500 deaths per week. So there is some value X that is the market equilibrium that is the current supply of acclaims so that however many of those 12,500 deaths can already get an acclaim for 2L. By dropping 12,000 acclaims on the market, the supply now becomes X+12000. You would need an ADDITIONAL 12,000 people to die with acclaims that would have not died with an acclaim before to rebalance the market. If you assume that (and I’m being generous here) 1/8 of the 12,500 die with an acclaim, then that means that the amount of total deaths required to balance out the market would have to increase 8-fold (to ~100,000) to NOT cause a market crash. This is just not possible. Even if the rate of deaths with acclaims doubles, prices will still be messed up for a whole month.

Acclaim is a perfectly fine example as you can see above ^. Just because an item is common does not mean that you can’t crash the price. Even if we assumed your incorrect logic that suddenly every one of the deaths for a week died with an acclaim that they got from me and not from the already strong supply of acclaims “X,” it would still take a week for the price to return to normal, meaning I successfully impacted the price of the item, effecting the price to near 0, for over a week. That’s pretty powerful.

Not really sure what the point of this was. I already do that and have been doing that, but it doesn’t crash the market. I was giving an example of where I could drastically impact the price.

I don’t want to get into a numbers argument when there are so many assumptions/hypotheticals/unknowns (eg. the simple “what is acclaim drop rate”, “how many acclaims are looted per day”) that it is all built on shaky foundations and unknowables and we’re talking about something that (I presume) you have no intention of actually testing so it’s only hot air.

& one thing you maybe aren’t factoring in is the number of players who would just take the “fre acclaim” and go and die with it in the same day, not affecting the market at all.

Maybe I also need to say that I have memories of Kabam-era dupe outbreaks eg. in 2013? when over a week amulets dived from 6-8Life (iirc) to 8Dex. That’s the kind of variance that qualifies as crazy in my book. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s the thing I don’t get about this hypothetical scenario: when and why would anyone do this? Yeah, a guy like Shurima could use his wealth to crash the market, but what would he gain from it?

@IAmShurima I feel like this kind of thing would be more of a problem for you than it’d be for someone like me. Either it’s gonna have zero impact on me or I’m just gonna take the free Acclaims and leave. Meanwhile you’ll have driven the price of a specific item into the ground for a short period of time and that’s it.

The only way I can see the market getting ruined for is if a certain key potion, like defense or life, was introduced en masse (like, say if it dropped from an event chest)

Edit: How the fuck did a thread about merching turn into a thread about crashing the market.

Lel excellent question

This thread is the most detailed merching argument (forgive me if it isn’t an argument, didn’t read the whole thing, looks like it was leading to one)

Seriously tho, highest quality thread on the forums imo

Not really.

Merching is like taking pokemon competitively.

The whole point of playing video games are to have fun. Getting your computer toasted because of all the dozens of people spamming 100 messages per 0.1 seconds is not fun.

at least for the online pokemon games, pokemon is more than just walking around and catching them all. many people just go out and ev train just for the sole purpose of fighting people, and its fun for many of them.

this is like merching i think, some people enjoy it more than others, and they do it because it is fun to them. it is all opinion based

I don’t find taking 100+ on ghost god shots fun…

Who does? Unless you are a paladin with an oreo or a cc knight being buffed by marble pillar

I like to dodge so I tend to forget those hurt, but hey.

Hey, in a bullet hell game, the main purpose is to dodge, but hey…

Unless you want to play knight and then all you can do is tank godlands shots, and that’s fun because knight is the MOST fun and OP class in the game (/s)

My point is if you’re putting the point up that a game should be played for fun then this is my defense. If I don’t find dying to random shit because my def isn’t maxed and don’t want to risk my chars over and over to max def fun then I merch my def.

You could have a wiz dedicated to getting def. Then once you have enough to max consume all at once. If yo wiz dies its no big deal, because you have riches from it.