Join the Realmvolution

x-post from here

Side note: Another little birdie has told me that the information in this comment is accurate :slightly_smiling_face:

Join the Realmvolution - Unity Stream Event

OwO whats dis

So did something happen on the 12th regarding this?

(Also screenshot of the first message how it appeared on the in-game news screen earlier:)

oh right lol

kind of late but tune in on the 13th at 15:00 UTC it will be epic

whats up with the communist imagery

Revolutions and raised fists aren’t necessarily communist in nature, it’s a pretty universal concept, not simply contained to one socioeconomic philosophy. It is in the same vein as “rise up ____”.

The stream is 5 minutes from now, isnt it?

December 13, 2019 3:00 PM (UTC), December 13, 2019 4:00 PM (Europe: Brussels), December 13, 2019 10:00 AM (America: New York), December 13, 2019 7:00 AM (America: Los Angeles), December 14, 2019 2:00 AM (Australia: Canberra)

its live right now
EDIT:

[I had made the second Reddit into a new topic, but we might as well keep it all together in one place, since it’s not a large discussion needing several topics on the same thing. -Nevov]

This is the text from the Reddit, might as well post it on here:

3pm central time

2pm mountain

Gonna miss because of school… someone post the archive pls

I think it is staying on the RotMG channel, so here is the link

Ok so thoughts on the stream and game before I head off for a one hour nap maybe

• I really hope item shadows are added back, I think a lot of the art in the game is drawn in consideration of the item shadows (and a thicker item outline) and so not having that on the items is not as visually appealing, because they don’t stand out quite as much. Given the enemies appear to have shadows just fine, I assume it wouldn’t be too difficult to add the item shadows back in? There’s also the UI shadow missing but that’s not as vital, I could do without (though IMO it does give a better separation to the UI and playable screen as there is no proper shading indicating such otherwise).
  • The fog of war looks a bit janky/stiff, personally I don’t mind it and even think it looks neat myself but I have odd tastes, and it seems people in chat weren’t enjoying it as much.
  • Also I thought Deca mentioned not wanting to give people in fullscreen a larger advantage, it looks like fullscreen users have at least a small advantage over people playing at the game’s original resolution because more screen space is visible (I don’t mean the fullscreen screen space, I mean the actual functional screen space around the player that isn’t a part of the fog of war). A bit tough to balance around though and I’ll be playing fullscreen anyways so w/e.
  • The disconnects are a bit concerning, but given this is early-ish beta I’m hoping they can resolve the issues.
  • What seems to be client-side lag is a bit concerning as well, but given the people playing it didn’t seem to have any client lag issues I guess it must just be stream lag.
  • On the topic of the stream, it was a little messy but Deca has not done anything before of this level streaming-wise AFAIK. I don’t fault them on it.
  • I wish they would have recorded more footage of Unity running so the clips at the beginning and the clips at the end would have been different (if they were then that’s my bad as I wasn’t fully paying attention to the stream at the beginning), there are many other dungeons in the game that could have been showcased
  • Twitch chat moderation was either lacking or being too harsh and swinging between those two. On one hand you have the entire first half of the stream chat being flooded with people asking about pservers and discussing hacked clients openly. On the other you have people being timed out for a week for posting how Deca doesn’t pay UGC or the sound designers (which is not false). At the very least chat should have more moderation because there was a lot of hacked client discussion there.
  • So I said “early-ish beta” earlier in this post because that’s what it looks like to me. I won’t lie, I am a bit disappointed in the speed of progress, since it has been a long while since Unity was originally announced. It’s also concerning given that despite their claims that they will stop adding new-ish features into the Flash client, they continue to do so when such features have good reason to be postponed to Unity (Rifts is one example, and one that should have been postponed arguably given the leaderboard is still broken for Steam players and Kongregate players can’t even play it without sitting through support tickets). But I also understand that they’re saying they want to make the client as good as possible, and so I can wait longer for hopefully a solid, fun client to play on.
  • Also I’m disappointed that the questions gathered on Reddit are not going to be answered straight away, and weren’t answered on stream. That is what was claimed from the initial announcement. As scuffed as the stream was, it doesn’t take much to just point a camera at someone (or even just keep the game open in nexus on someone’s screen as background if even the camera is too much) and have them answer the questions right then and there. There was also a good chunk of relatively empty audio other than the game’s soundtrack, plus the halls RL-ing audio that could have been left out, that could have been used for someone on the Deca team to answer the questions. Then it’s not just watching people do halls on unity client, it’s that plus some informative and interesting background audio.
    Or, if the plan was to answer the questions on Reddit at a later date from the start, that should have been said outright rather than claiming something else.

edit: I woke up from my nap I will continue

My thoughts on the stream overall, as it is:
I think that on its own, it was a nice stream. Technical issues were present, but understandable given this hadn’t really been tried before. It was a decent level of interaction with the community and served as a pleasant surprise reveal of things like O3 and how the game looks in action.

The problem is that in the grand scheme of things, this is almost all that we have received for a long while. It’s been almost two months since the last response on the RotMG Discord to feedback, and a month since the last Q&A session on there. It had been basically three months in-between blog posts on the Realm Remastered blog of content that Deca was actually in charge of, and the actual content of the blog post on Dec 3 really did not make up for that massive chunk of radio silence.
In addition, what we have seen of Deca on the subreddit has primarily been focused on the current Flash client and game, so players starving for more information on Unity (aka almost all of us) are out of luck there.

So with communication on the Unity remaster being incredibly minimal, the community is expecting a LOT from this stream to make up for it. And unfortunately the stream would hold up fine if this was just one part of Deca’s communication with the community, to bolster and grow existing hype rather than attempt to patch the gaping holes in communication present. But this was a very solitary thing, and cannot meet the expectations the community has grown.

More communication is essential. If you’re going to ghost a game community for months on something big, whatever you have planned better be actually worth the wait, which is a monumental task. Think of it like cramming for an exam (haha finals season) rather than studying over the course of the semester. The former is much more difficult and probably won’t give you as good results (your mileage may vary).

Communication is really not hard. You can still reveal things about Unity without removing all the surprises; I suspect one reason behind the lack of communication is they wanted to have a lot of surprises for everyone. But at some point you face diminishing returns, especially given if you present a ton of things all at once the community can kind of gloss over some things that should be taken note of.
One example is the options menu. There’s nothing in the options menu that would be like “holy shit wow that is a good surprise”, other than the UI itself looking very clean and spiffy. But that means it makes for good blog post material. Tell us about what new options were added that we don’t know about but that we would appreciate. Otherwise we’ll have to go frame-by-frame through the video to try and spot what may have took you a very long time to implement. Tell us about the troubles you encountered in game design or in implementation, or the small things you’re proud of, there are so many options other than radio silence.
And if the team was just genuinely too busy to communicate at all? Perhaps more people should be hired to help out in this aspect. Perhaps wishful thinking, but surely Deca has the money to spare on an intern to do something like that…

how come seelpit was invited to play early but I WASNT? :angry:

its not like I bad mouth DECA on the forums and certain discords

this has made me so angry, that I’ll never ever evr ever play the unity version :flushed:

that mic quality though, lol. especially Kiddforce’s, hurts my soul and essence. I’d say that the presentation could be better, but overall pretty good look into unity realm.

why? :open_mouth:

I actually know why.

ugc closed testing I guess

Seelpit’s a closed tester; not ugc

Also should be noted that they didn’t get to play Unity. They were still playing on poo flash, just the same servers.