Kageboshi rework idea

Kageboshi rework
Kageboshi
hjpl1lO
(Same stats)

Players can change the direction of the kageboshi to wherever direction they want by moving their character

Effect:
Player can alter the direction of the star ability by movement. On release of the star ability, for example, if the player moves sideways, the star will also go sideways, if the players moves forward the star will continue forward and it’s projectile speed will be doubled, if the players stands still ability will go forward like normal while the projectile speed will be normal, similar projectile speed to moving sideways, if players moves back the star ability will also move back but the projectile speed will be halved.

Quite confusing for me to understand.

It’s an interesting concept, but considering that a straight throw still covers most directional ground as it is, the most I see it being used for would be throwing it around corners in specific dungeon locations. I mean, it’ll be a little more useful that way, but the niche usage of piercing coupled with damage still makes this star extremely situational.

I am not sure this is implementable as described. Two issues. First collisions; if you e.g. shoot it down a corridor then move sideways so it goes into the wall, what happens? Does it stop? Slide along the wall? Vanish? What if you reverse your motion so the open corridor is in front of you again? And that describes a relatively simple situation; the Realm is a lot less tidy in many places.

Apart from that I think it would cause problems due to network latency, i.e. the time it takes to communicate with the server. Latency is a fact of life in a network game, but ROTMG does a lot to hide it. Items have delays built in, which gives the server and client time to synchronise. Not only traps/poisons but weapons and abilities with time of flight or duration, so the damage/effect happens a short time after you using it (Sorc’s sceptre is instant, but is also imprecise enough to aim that discrepancies due to networking are less important).

What you describe though makes no allowance for latency. You would be steering it by moving around, expecting it to hit enemies the instant you steer it into them. But those enemies will often be in a different position on the server, and you are not giving the game a chance to resolve this discrepancy.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.