Low effort idea post on an idea that probably isnt very good

I was thinking of an accessory that guarantees the upper end of the damage range of a weapon. Kind of gimmicky, but will not give any dps stats/health bonuses in return, thought it would be fun with some wacky weapons that have insanely high ranges of damage.
Probably won’t be the best received since I have no idea what is considered balanced; so feel free to leave thoughts here.

Yeah, it would be hard to balance. The Sprite Wand, which has average damage about as much as a t11 or t12, but normally gets ignored because of its wavy shots and lack of piercing, would suddenly become the best wand in the game beating even Wand of the Fallen while still having 9 range.

It might work as a temporary boost, such as a potion, an area effect or dungeon mod. But then you have a problem of carrying a Sprite Wand to swap in when such an effect in active, but aa a waste of space the rest of the time.

God if you think sprite wand would be OP then just take a look at keychain

or spirit dagger

Yeah, that idea does seem very imbalanced. However, this did make me think of something similar. An accessory with a proc that increases the range of your weapon’s damage. That way, it’d be a double edged sword. You have a higher chance of doing more damage, but also a higher chance of doing less damage. It’d have to be an increase/decrease by a small amount in order to keep some balance, but it’d be interesting to see.

Generally having a very wide damage range is a big disadvantage as it makes things more random. You don’t know if how many shots it will take to kill something. This is worst in a place you would normally one shot everything, such as a godlands dungeon, you might find 1/10 of them take two shots, really slowing you down as you keep doubling back.

The one time it helps is with very high DEF enemies. So e.g. if an enemy has 200 DEF, and your weapon does 200 damage, only 10% of that damage hits. If your weapon did 10 - 290 damage then half the time you’d be exceeding their DEF, maybe 40% of the time by enough to do more than 10% damage.

But that happens so rarely as so few enemies have massive DEF. And when they do you’re better off with a Crystal Wand, or Queen’s Stinger, or Oryx’s Greatsword (though swords generally do enough damage to overcome any normal enemy’s DEF).

semi-related, but I started playing Elsword recently, and it takes this concept in the form of a stat called Maximize. The idea is that Maximize shifts your damage rolls closer to the max damage your weapon can deal, with 100% maximize being a guarantee to hit your max damage roll. i feel like this concept is usable, although it definitely needs balancing passes!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.