Memory Problems

When i press L and see my performance stats, i see that my MEM climbs up to MAX fast and then my game glitches and freezes and boots me up back to the character selection screen, this happens sometimes and sometimes doesn’t. I closed every single background application possible. any help?

I had an answer for this, but I forgot.

Welp, i’m out of luck i believe.

It was a joke lol. Because of my memory problems…

It’s probably just flash being flash. Do you play on a projector or in-browser?

Oh well, not the help i was expecting but k lol.
I happen to be using steam atm.

I can’t help you there. I don’t use steam. Perhaps someone else can

I finds that over time – anything from 30 mins to a couple of hours depending how I play – memory rises to the point where the game is unplayable. as lag gets progressively worse. I have no alternative then but to close the game and re-open it. I am using Flash Projector so this is straightforward, but still takes a while as Flash unloads then reloads the game.

It used to be much worse, Instead of gradually worsening it would suddenly grind to a halt, with little warning. I had to keep a close eye on memory usage, and close the game before it happened. It improved when I installed more RAM, going from 4GB to 16GB. Now there is plenty of overhead for ROTMG’s badly written code.

Does this only happen when you press L?

Also since you are using Steam follow these instructions:

1. Go to your library and find Realm of the Mad God
    https://gyazo.com/152640a5a0d256f805f3a3da81dd65e0

2. Right click and go to properties, then you will find yourself here
    https://gyazo.com/80e4fc83bda7a34f954ed5b3cc76f1da

3. Go to Local Files and then click Verify Integrity of Game Files
    https://gyazo.com/daff818cf3a5c4b0dfec973827ca0c58

4. Wait until that is done and then you should be fine!
    https://gyazo.com/b55c1d2f6146081f4a2fce994267d65c

If this doesn’t work start using Flash or the Website version

It happens when i start engaging with monsters of any type. not dependant on game time. I have no idea why.

No, i just press L to see wtf is going on tbh. I didn’t have any problems yesterday. started happening today for some reason. it used to happen somedays tho. every other single game runs perfectly fine, its just rotmg.

Check my updated reply

Doesn’t work, lol. I can’t move my steam rotmg to a flash version, when i hit register it just doesn’t do anything anymore.

BUMP. really need help this is starting to get so fucking annoying.

What you describe in your first post, where memory rises then suddenly falls, is Flash doing its garbage collection. That is how Flash manages memory and is perfectly normal, at least at first. It becomes a problem over time as ROTMG’s crappy code leaks more and more things into memory, giving the garbage collector more and more to do, so the garbage collection becomes more and more noticeable, has more and more of a damaging impact.

But you should not be seeing this from the start. I would suspect you are severely short of memory, but I have never played on Steam so do not know how it handles memory or if there is anything you can do.

ROTMG doesn’t use alot of memory in my task manager, only the cpu is about 95-99% most of the time which is normal. I got 4GB of RAM and 3.2 Ghz Processor

I used to have 4GB, and had problems. The game would get to 1200+ RAM usage and grind to a halt. But that’s only 1.2GB. With 4GB and a 64-bit OS apps can use far more than that – 2GB easily. Quitting other apps made no difference.

I suspect that the OS + browser simply did not expect Flash to use so much memory. Or maybe Flash Plugin itself decided to limit the memory it allocated to e.g 1.2GB, and anything over that ended up paged in and out.

This is just to illustrate how you can have memory problems even if your system has more than enough. I don’t know how to fix it as I have no experience of how the game works in Steam, but it may give you some ideas.

Steam doesn’t use flash, it uses adobe air for rotmg.

AIR is just another way of encapsulating and running Flash content - the underlying code is the same. But the limits may be different. Hang on, let’s try Google.

As of Windows 7, and AIR 3.3 Adobe AIR apps are limited to around 1GB memory allocation. This will change once Adobe AIR becomes 64-bit. Adobe plans to do 2 different rewrites of the platform. The first rewrite will take place by the end of 2012. This rewrite will add multithreading to the Flash, AIR runtimes. This first rewrite probably will not fix the existing memory allocation issues and limitations. But the second rewrite will for sure which is coming in 2013 codenamed “Next”. This rewrite is the “ActionScript 4.0” which includes 64-bit runtime, memory allocation enhancements, programming language enhancements, new compiler, and a huge improvement in performance. Until then do not try to allocate more than 900MB of RAM at the risk of the app simple crashing without warning.

So maybe that’s the problem. Deca have added large amounts of content, some of which is loaded even before you start playing – skins for other players for example. That says 2012/2013 but the 64 bit version is still a work in progress:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/air.html

Thanks for all the help <3, but what am i supposed to do now lol.

You could bring it to Deca’s attention. If as I have suggested it’s a problem with 32 bit AIR then they might be able to switch to the 64 bit version. I suspect they have looked at it already, and user reports of problems might make it a higher priority. Or they might have other ideas, other things you could try.