My First Season Thoughts

Hello :slight_smile:

The Brewer’s Bonanza is my first season and there are 19 days left in it. I am 68 milestones into 76 with the 3 BXP Boost Potions still in gifts. I have created 10 characters with 3 surviving; the three of them are 8/8. I am aware of discord channels focusing on exaltation dungeons as I have used them before. However, since I have been on a two-year hiatus, I decided to stick to natural realms in USW. My Brewer’s Journey has been locked to Triumph’s Herald (5x Crystal Caverns), Supreme Ascendancy (20 7* dungeons), Realm of Legends (2x Lost Halls), and Bavarian Blitz (10x 7.5* dungeons). This is not a rant on discord channels, but rather a reflection on natural play, which is playing without third-party coordination.

There is a lack of incentives for new players to enjoy playing. The grind to level 20 is still monotonous despite copious content because most of that content is overlooked by the majority of players. While some play and few continue, the few continue and seek endgame content. But natural play has an underwhelming amount of players with characters capable of playing endgame efficiently and, thus, seek third-party coordination while withdrawing themselves from natural play. Going forth with this topic will mostly pry into the intricacies of realm gold, which is not inherently bad. But it is not something I want to focus on and I want to emphasize the importance of the underwhelming population with characters capable of playing endgame efficiently.

This aforementioned population is the only time new players are able to grasp RotMG’s potential in natural play. But, with one population completely focused on endgame content outside natural play and another population completely focused on practicing to play at least comfortably in natural play, that population bridge is preventing RotMG from collapsing on itself. Is that bridge strong enough? No.

Thoughts?

Anyways, I have completed 2 nests a week on average this season and I pass time questing with the Tinkerer. Something I noticed is that dungeons that drop greater potions is detrimental to the economy (if any) especially since most events target these dungeons which players capitalize on at the time. This influx of greater potions devalues the Tinkerer’s potion quest, which is 3 stat potions alchemized into its greater potion.

I suggest changing that greater potion drop to dropping 1-2 stat potions instead. This will incentivize new players to return to mid-level dungeons which drop at least 1 of their respective potions where they can gradually become 4/8s without playing riskier dungeons where characters die prematurely. Endgame players will purchase Tinkerer greater potions instead of creating a farmer character which can funnel 8/8s through high-level dungeons. Extreme endgame players will have reason to store greater life or mana potions which can be recycled to, yes, newer players using the Tinkerer’s potion quest. My Gifts currently has 11x GDef, 40x GDex, 9x GLife, and 30x GVit and I bought 4 seasonal vault chest unlockers on top of the battlepass.

[“But, why was the last bit of information important?”

Because space is countered through making alts, monetization, or dropping ‘useless’ items which have values to others. These three factors are parameters to having a healthy playerbase.]

Ultimately, populating the bridge promotes natural endgame completion, since the average player will float around 6/8. Heck, 4/8 offensive stats would promote end game completion and that grind would be less time consuming.

Also…BUYING UBSPEED AND UBDEF SO I CAN RUN IN REALM FASTER AND DUNGEONS SAFER.

nice point but… realm rework

Fuck the economy, trading is so boring. Greater pots drop from lots of easier dungeons, not just endgame, and make maxing a lot faster meaning more people have spare chars to learn endgame on. The tinkerers potion quest is for storing potions, that’s all, it is always valuable if you care about storing pots.

Understandably, trading is briefly mentioned in this thread and an economy may not be an issue for players who invest in RoT, whether monetarily or time-wise. But, the point of the thread is that there is content in realms that are otherwise wasted (which is making the core of Rot extremely unappealing) due to communication issues between a polarized playerbase.

Just to be clear, I am not demanding players spend their money or time this or that way.

While I was not aware of the realm rework until this post, I see how this thread indirectly emphasizes an issue that might be mitigated post-patch. Hopefully, realm rework does solve whatever issue that is. I may have not been clear about how changing greater stat potions in mid-level dungeons into 1-2 stat potion drops would improve the Tinkerer’s value and expand player storage through utilizing the gifts chest. It does not necessarily have to be a 1-2 stat potion drop and instead can continue as a guaranteed 2 stat potion drop. The randomization of 1-2 stat potion drop was to have more players complete mid-level dungeons to the point where it is their standard gameplay and to also establish replayability in these dungeons through the Tinkerer’s quest.

Ciao Koez, thanks for the response. I agree with much of your original post. Especially once your seasonal missions get to ‘Defeat MBC’ which is basically impossible without a discord or a very strong group of randoms. People can solo it, but with experience. And it’s hard to get experience without a good group unless you make a bunch of throwaways which can range in fun level.

Getting more players running mid-tier dungeons could be good for skill progression, though the new biomes mechanic also addresses this I believe. I also think the Tinkerer is more of a bonus than something to grind for, and except for crafting I never pick up marks because the rewards (like quests) are usually awful.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.