New Class: The Pirate (sprites!)

Seeing as the styles of class in this game are fairly simple and easy for anyone to know, I introduce a new class!

The Pirate!

The Pirate weilds a katana and uses his brews to strengthen his defenses.

Lore:

As Dreadstrump’s pirates begin to depart from the rule of Oryx, one pirate feels looting would be easier amongst the heroes. He was extradited from the rest of the pirates and now seen as a mortal enemy, but the mastery of the katana, which was like a cutlass or a saber, but much more powerful, he stands as a credible threat to all enemies who stand in his way.

Stats

Base Gain/Level Average Max
HP 150 20-30 620 700
MP 100 2-8 195 252
ATT 15 1-2 45 75
DEF 0 0 0 25
SPD 10 0-2 29 50
DEX 10 0-2 25 60
VIT 10 0-2 35 75
WIS 10 1-2 35 50

The Pirate uses his bottle of booze to give himself armored and a small dose of health points, while also giving him drunk during that time.

The Pirate weilds a katana as it is most similar to a cutlass (and he most likely just stole it from ninjas.) His stats reflect on being a sword class so its pretty much a sword/katana mix.

The Pirate wears Leather Armor

Abilities:

Pirate’s Brew
A crude brew, made with whatever is found on a ship, and fermented for the journey.

Tier: 0 (Starter)
MP Cost: 70
Duration: 3 seconds
Range: 3.5
Cooldown: 6 seconds
Effect: Armored, Drunk on self, +10 HP
Feed Power: 5

Goblin’s Brew
A brew found popular amongst the Goblins. Filled with the fermented fruit of the forest.

Tier: 1
MP Cost: 75
Duration: 3.5 seconds
Effect: Armored, Drunk on self, +20 HP
Party Effect: +5 Defense
Feed Power: 10

Drakesblood Brew
A Drake’s blood is potent enough to have alone, but a touch of rum never hurt.

Tier: 2
MP Cost: 80
Duration: 4 seconds
Effect: Armored, Drunk to self, +30 HP
Party Effect: +6 Defense
Feed Power: 20

Ogre’s Brew
Ogres are well known for the master craft of brewing, but can you handle your own?

Tier: 3
MP Cost: 85
Duration: 4.5 seconds
Effect: Armored, Drunk to self, +50 HP
Party Effect: +7 Defense
Fame Bonus: 1%
Feed Power: 45

Medusa’s Brew
One would blackout from a shot of this, but a bottle saves you from cleaning up cups.

Tier: 4
MP Cost: 90
Duration:5 seconds
Effect: Armored, Drunk on Self, +60
Party Effect: +8 Defense
Fame Bonus: 2%
Feed Power: 90

Legacy Brew
A brew mixed with ingredients found in major conquests. A refined taste only for the gods.

Tier: 5
MP Cost: 95
Duration:5.5 seconds
Cooldown: 7 seconds
Effect: Armored, Drunk to self, +75 HP
Party Effect: +9 Defense
Fame Bonus: 3%
Feed Power: 185

Mad God’s Brew
A brew found in the darkest depth of the Wine Cellar. Even when hyper chilled, the brew is quite warm.

Tier: 6
MP Cost: 95
Duration: 5.5 seconds
Effect, Armored, Drunk to Self, +100 HP
Party Effect: +10 Defense
Stat Bonuses: +2 VIT +2 WIS
Fame Bonus: 4%
Feed Power: 380

Dreaded Brew
A brew fit for a captain. Distilled and potent, and a touch of seawater for kick.

Drops from: Dreadstump the Pirate KIng

Tier: UT
MP Cost:80
Range: 6
Effect: Armored, Drunk on self, +10 HP
Party Effect: +7 Defense

Bilgewater Brew
A brew crafted from Bilgewater’s grotto. A touch of parrot magic gives this brew some healing powers.
Drops from: John Bilgewater

MP Cost: 110
Duration: 3 seconds
Effect: Armored, Drunk to self, +200 HP
Party Effect: +5 Defense, Heals 150 HP
Fame Bonus: 5%
Feed Power: 700

Ghostly Brew
A stronger brew than Ghost Rum, said to be the drink Davy Jones died drinking.
Drops from: Davy Jones

MP Cost: 150
Range: 2
Cooldown: 8 seconds
Effect: Armored, Drunk, Invisible on self, +40 HP
Party Effect: Invisible
Stat Bonuses: +3 Speed, +3 Attack
Fame Bonus: 6%
Feed Power: 900

Heavenly Stout
An unearthly brew from the golden fountains of Valhalla, made for fallen heroes.
Drops from: Beer God

Tier: UT
MP Cost: 150
Duration: 2 seconds
Range: 2
Cooldown: 8 seconds
Effect: Invincible, Drunk, Healing on self.
Party Effect: Armored
Stat Bonuses: +50 HP, +2 Spd, +2 Vit
Fame Bonus: 6%
Feed Power: 900

What makes this a good class?

The Pirate, being the second katana class, acts like a sword-weilding class overall, even though being leather. His armored ability gives him the bulk to take some hits, aswell as benefiting from bonuses of many leather armors. Basically, a piercing melee aswell as a harder hitting katana class. Survivability is sustainable when brews are being constantly used, aswell as having a friend with the Book of Geb or Tome of Purification to help remove Drunk. Its a tad lower DPS than the Ninja, but is able to stay in longer to deal more damage and take more hits.

Changelog:

-Changed ability to give minor defense boost to allies amongst other abilities while UTs add other effects
-Added a range of 3.5 average to most brews for defense boosts
-Editied Dreaded Brew to make its niche be more range of a brew
-Defense was buffed to 25 instead of 20
-Buffed MP costs of Heavenly Stout to 150 MP, removed MP bonus

What armor does he use?

Leather. I hit the save button too quick so I have to quickedit.

I do like the fact that you included your reasoning, so I’ll start with that!

So basically, a potentially tankier ninja with less burst damage. That lowered defense cap must’ve been why you did this. However, one aspect that seems to be missing is the fact that every class’ ability gives other classes a supportive boost in addition to yourself, with the exception of the Wizzy, which has the burst power as means of the DPS class.

##Pirate Sprite
The skin doesn’t need THAT much shading. As reference, look at the warrior. Also, missing animation?

##Stats
Basic MP and HP as the Ninja, high attack, lowered dex, lower spd and most importantly defense. The vitality is very high, quite reminiscent of a melee class, though this can almost be ignored by the fact that pets exist.
I can see that this class is more about aiming than the ninja, however, that lowered defense cap is quite worrying, especially since not everybody can perma.

##Ability
Armored, drunk, and recover a healthy amount of HP. I find this combination to be too strong, almost like an outright better paladin. I can see why you reduced defense, but instead of giving armored, why not just increase cap back to 25, and turn the effect to +5 defense while active up to +20 defense. That’s still quite a lot, and you can control it per tier that way.

I have my doubts for putting a debuff as means of balancing, especially in the tiered ability, so I’ll just hold myself back.

Also, Mind the Heavenly Stout. I like the fact that you need a minimum of 200 mana to execute it, but it means little if you can just use 150 mana instead of adding 50 mana back. AT least, I can’t see a good reason to do the way you’re doing currently.

##Ability Sprites
Those are some pretty good sprites! The only thing missing is the slight shading so the bottles don’t look like flat stickers.

##Conclusion
I find that this class is similar to a tanky ninja, only worse DPS wise. It has not the damage burst of a ninja, the speed, or the sustain damage. However, you have amazing healing properties, save for the drunk which is an odd addition. One gripe I don’t like is the fact that the abilities seem to have little to no synergy with other classes. I can’t say I’m terribly excited by the class idea, but I certainly applaud the amount of effort that you’ve put to iron it out, and provide the stats as well as the sprites.

What about hackers? Can’t they make it so they don’t have drunk?

Also they can make it so they have no Dazed either correct?

uh classes with abilities that dont benifit others are wizzy, rogue, ninja, trickster (in most cases), and assassin.

Wizzy is supposed to be a DPs machine. It gets a pass. Also, sometimes killing enemies with that burst damage helps a lot.
Rogue cloaks and kills enemies that are normally difficult to deal with and helps with rushes a LOT so peeps can tp to the rogues.
Trickster has the a support aspect to the ability whether you use it or not.
Assassins are pretty good at area clearing, especially on areas with plenty of trash minion at a difficult position, similar to rogue.

Sorc’s scepter is a good example of an ability which doesn’t help very much support wise. Even ninja’s speedy can arguably be used to help rush

I figured this would be another front liner to take hits when jugg warriors/knights aren’t around. But yea, this is more oriented towards self-sufficing over a BIG team roll.

spoiler

The original pirate was going to have a pistol as an ability but I wasn’t sure how to make it team worthy without looking like another ninja.

EDIT: I did have an idea for a group buff but wasn’t sure what to give besides armored/health.

I like it

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Also, what’s up with those UT sprites? If it’s Pages’ alpha editing, I feel you.

20 DEF was maybe something I’ll reconsider. I was trying to balance this in my head while myself was drinking (kinda ironic I see now) so I"ll reconsider

Also I got lazy on the UT sprites, I thought the alpha around the would make a cool dropshadow but I was wrong.

Yes, they COULD, but they’d disconnect way before they could do anything.

You’re still using 200 mana, you just get a small buff of 50 mana, the buff is only 1/4 of one use, with a rare pet you’d gain that mana back anyways.

New Update, added a changelog in the OP post to make the class a bit more team oriented, aswell as minor changes

Very nice idea. I really like it.

Dreadstump brew seems wayyy to op for pirate cave. Assuming it just drops in a cyan bag.
Next thing yo u know, people will be farming pirate caves

Oh, as one of my old friends used to hack. He made it so he couldn’t get blind drunk or confuse and he never got dc’d. Maybe they updated the dc’ing method?

nah, visuals dont DC you, but you said you could turn off dazed, which would be insanely OP, but turning off dazed would DC you 99.999% of the time.

What bag would this be, this is from a beginners dungeon so a white bag wouldn’t make sense. Would this be a cyan or something else?

Also a sidenote, the shading on the sprites are off. The UT brews also have a weird shadow.

basically a jugged ninja

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.