Newbie here, any tips or advice

Hi hi! New to the game. Any advice / tips yall have for someone who is new

the rotmg discord is a lot more active than here and has a channel specifically for advice. I recommend checking that out.

My main advice given where you are right now in the game is to explore. Find new dungeons, see how they work, and get better at them. As you progress, you will steadily start to work towards maxing characters, though this will be a lengthy process. A couple things that you should be on the lookout for:

Pet eggs

These drop from the godlands and many dungeon bosses, and allow you to get pets. These are incredibly powerful allies that cannot die, though they require significant investment of time and fame. The sooner you can find a pet with heal and magic heal as its first two abilities, the better off you’ll be in the long run.

Character slot and vault chest unlockers

These are available for free from the login calendar (usually through coupons) and some events, and will let you have more vault space and (most importantly) more characters alive at once. As you get into harder content, having more characters will make it easier to bounce back from death, and make you overall more resilient. Start gathering these as soon as you can!

Again, given where you are in the game, your best bet is to improve your skills at the game, learn new dungeons and understand the mechanics of the various classes. I only mention pets, character slots and vault chests because they will assist you with very long-term goals and can improve your power regardless of where you are in your journey in RotMG.

Hope this helps!

Don’t play for items or events, it is a psychological manipulation tactic meant to encourage you to spend ungodly amounts of time and money. Play for fun only and when it becomes a grind, get off.

Don’t listen to this guy, he called armor break useless

cross-thread meta. grind for the drip so you can flex on your homies.

for real have fun, stash rare items in your vault, die a lot, run dungeons in groups, and have fun!

The people at Deca are capital P Predators. They want to steal from you as much of your time and money as they possibly can by making you hopelessly addicted via a carrot and stick method by events and the desire of exotic items. They are bastards that brought in gambling too. Predators!

More nonsense from the ignorant troll. ROTMG has always had randomness, in e.g. drops. It’s an essential part of the game, as without randomness things would be the same every time. That might work for a single player game you only play through once or a few times, but would be horrible in a game like this where dungeons, enemies, encounters are meant to be defeated many many times.

As for purchases they include both guaranteed and random items, and have for a very long time, certainly since before DECA came along. You can buy either sort, guaranteed or random, or buy nothing as no purchases are necessary to play the game.

You sound like a dork, no offense.

i spend 15 bucks a month just to treat myself if a good deal comes along at any point some months nothing worthwhile comes up so the gold just stacks for the next month’s addition, i don’t feel like i am missing out on anything by not spending more, i still have fun in the game by not blowing hundreds of dollars into clover’s to increase my drop rate. and still get a consistently fair amount of items, not to mention ontop of the vast amount of vault and character slots that DECA hands out l like candy, honestly if you like a grind the game is fun and you Do not need to spend at all.

don’t take the people who says “Deca forces you to gamble and spend money” at face value.

Don’t let yourself get too emotionally attached to your characters. I know this sounds kind of cynical, but I don’t mean it in that sense. I started playing this game when I was younger, and a huge pitfall I consistently found in the game was that I would enjoy building up my account, then I’d have an unlucky death or two that would completely kill all of my motivation for a long time. Typically, when you’re new, dying is more punishing as you tend to have less to fall back on, and less overall skill to be able to quickly get back up on your feet. When you hit that transitional period where you are learning harder content, you will die a lot, sometimes on very good character, and it will be demotivating. Do not let yourself get too hurt or pushed back by this, otherwise this game will be a vicious cycle. Learn to pace yourself, don’t get too overzealous, and don’t let your deaths negatively impact you too much!

I think this is inevitable. I used to die often, much more than today. But occasionally I kept a char alive long enough to collect some good gear, max some stats, maybe get some rare white bag items.

When a char like that died It hit me pretty hard, so much so I would give the game up for days, maybe weeks. I would only come back when the memory of the loss had faded.

Eventually things got better for two reasons. First I learned how to self max. For me it meant using Sorc, 'Sin or Rogue as each with the decent pet I had could farm pots in relative safety, using their ability to do damage from range or get in close safely. Most importantly I enjoyed doing it, even from level 0.

Second I got more char slots, and got good enough staying alive that I always had a maxed or mostly maxed char available when one died. Now I have almost all 8/8 chars – non seasonal they all are.

I guess the advice from this is “don’t be afraid to die” It may sting at times, but it gets better over time and you come to see it as part of the game.

Adding onto that, don’t play TOO safely. Not to wax philosophical, but death comes for us all, and your chars are no exception. Obviously that doesn’t mean you should try an O3 run when you’re still using starting gear (though, hey, don’t let me stop you), but trying and failing at high level dungeons is the best way to learn. Yeah, it’ll sting when (not if, when) you accidentally get shotgunned because you were a bit too gung ho, but that’s just how the game goes, and that makes for a particularly long-lasting lesson.

Source: It took me more than 3 years to build up the nerve to actually try for higher level dungeons

Very true! The biggest turning point for me in the game was when I finally tried a lost halls after avoiding it for 2 years after its release. I always was too scared of it and figured it wasn’t worth the risk, but then I finally gave it a try one day and that single decision gradually resulted in a major shift in my skill level and net worth. Play safe, don’t be reckless, but also don’t be afraid to die and try new things! If you have the slots to spare, throwaway characters are wonderful, and can allow you to safely try new content without having as much to lose!

Once you reach level 20, grind stat potions. Even with endgame gear you’re extremely weak without maxxing out your stats. Speed, dex, and wis are the easiest. Defense is probably the hardest for a new player (besides mana/life) as the sewers can be brutal, I recommend using a ranged character until you get used to dodging.

A few enemies in the Godlands area have chests associated with their area, such as Red Demon and Cyclops God. An easy way to quickly get higher level items is to bring a rogue to the godlands and use your invisibility to loot these chests incognito.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.