Opinions on Deca

I’ve already made my thoughts pretty clear, but two years into this regi- er, reign, most of us have pretty split opinions. Don’t attack people, I don’t want another @Pxartist event, just a friendly discussion/debate.

I, along with most people, would argue that the game hasn’t been going downhill. Wildshadow (although I wasn’t around back then) seems much more inefficient and less responsive to the community than Deca. Deca is banging out updates and bug patches twice a month, along with all of the content they added in just a 2 (?) year time span. Deca has also listened to the community when fixing bugs, dungeons, characters, etc. and that isn’t even mentioning all of the community-idea-based dungeons we’ve had. I’m not a 100% Deca supporter, of course. But Deca has been a major upgrade over Kabam and I think most people have been overlooking that.

The recent complaints against Deca have been summed up in two words: Cash grab. Event chests, misery boxes, the whole shazam. But was Deca the one that added pets? Pets were probably the most blatant cash grab in the history of the game, and it broke the system Wildshadow was trying to create. Kabam’s ideas were basically, “Oh, let’s create some insta-kill/impossible-for-melee dungeons! That will fix pets!” Pets have become too ingrained to fix now. There would be an uproar if Deca nerfed/fixed pets. Deca has been trying to create balanced dungeons, like encore and parasite, which (although I personally dislike) throw out pet stasis so the boss can’t be insta-killed or abused by melees. Be thankful that we got a Christmas event this year. Be thankful that we got something this MotMG that wasn’t reskins-grind galore. Even if Deca hasn’t been the best, they’ve been a damn good improvement over the almost-no-community-interaction cash-grabbing hellhole that was Kabam.
Wildshadow doesn’t own the company anymore. The vision that Rob and Alex had died with Kabam. The game is completely different. Stop trying to hold it to the standards that don’t exist anymore. Those died with Kabam. Chest events don’t define the Deca era, the new content we’ve been provided with (that the majority of the community enjoys) should.

(If some parts seem irrelevant, this was originally a response to @Pxartist 's original “State of the Game” thread that’s been slightly modified)

I think DECA had good intentions. They now realize how much money they can make and kind of don’t want fix something they think isn’t broken to them.

BUT STILL…

Remember the summer of 2016 before DECA came along? It was terrible. Multi’s everywhere, never any kinds of events, no daily rewards, it was pretty rough. DECA stills gets mucho credit for saving the game.

Okay, sure they’ve made some chest events that have seemed like cash grabs, but DECA genuinely seems interested in making the game better. Their updates have improved quality of life greatly in addition to adding in new content, and have proven willing to take on huge tasks like reworking the fame system and the Unity port. They’ve done a lot to clean up the game and make it more appealing to players.

It honestly makes me sad when people talk about how much better the game was under Kabam. Kabam was willing to completely break the game (pets) to get cash, and the updates (especially towards the end) were few and disappointing. DECA has done a lot to improve community spirit and keep the game alive, even if they have had a couple of issues along the way.

DECA is worse than Kabam when it comes to monetization, but better otherwise. Thats all.

Pets, STs, and the golden archer set come to mind… How is Deca worse?

tbh the pet food and cosmetics arent expensive enough

Honestly, when it comes to it, here are my many cents on this “debate”:

1. If you have not paid/are completely free to play, you should not have a problem when a paying customer’s opinion is heeded over yours. DECA is ultimately a business and must answer to their paying player base in order to remain sustainable and to maintain their assets. However, this does not mean a F2P player cannot bring up good points that DECA should listen to for the overall health of the game and its playerbase.

2. Comparing the works of other companies to DECA should not be a primary argument. Getting hit by a car is better than getting run over by a Boeing 747, but both ultimately suck. So, pull out the “Deca was better than company X” as a last resort, not as your primary argument. You are implicitly arguing that DECA isn’t doing so well, but is doing well than others. If attempting a reform, we should attempt to truly make the game “good.”

3. Don’t ask for better/more creative content if you can’t offer a better option. If one claims that X is shit in Rotmg, and they are asking for change, but don’t explicitly define their requested change, you’re kinda vague.

3b) If a person is simply pointing out the flaws in DECA’s policy and NOT requesting changes vaguely, telling said person to “Do it yourself” is not a valid option seeing as how pointing out flaws requires a different skillset from making new parts.

Just needed to get this off of my chest. This is not directed at anyone in general.

Ofc

Friendly reminder of how the forum works: if you don’t want a pxartist-style discussion don’t ping him with @ because that sends him notifications. Only use @-username- if you’re actually trying to get that person’s attention.

Hey remember when DECA put 3 activated tomb bosses in a cramped room full of Ice?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Call me decafan #1 but I love DECA.

The easiest way to “counter” the cash grab argument is by saying that DECA is a company, that needs money to be sustainable and give sufficient profit to make it viable to continue. But that’s boring. DECA is great because they’ve interacted with the community. Kebab wanted money too, but they didn’t give shit about the community. Since DECA cares, I don’t mind supporting them. I’m happy to buy gold because I want Realm to continue. The campaign is a great idea and isn’t a cash grab.

dont FIGHT ME

I love DECA, but have to agree with OP: pets are a problem and they’re going to be very, very difficult to fix. In a perfect world, the entire community would all be 100% happy with getting rid of pets, DECA would remove them, and they would not lose much profit.

But obviously we’re not in a perfect world, so unless that magically happens, we’re going to be stuck with awkwardly handled endgame dungeons with various bandaid nerfs on pets - Kabam’s instakilling melee dungeons, DECA’s pet statis… Not to mention pets are a part of the money DECA makes, and between the whole Unity rewriting-the-code-from-ground-up, making new content, keeping up with Oryxmas and staying present with the community, responding to feedback, working on long-term solutions for duping, hacking, bots, RWTing, and lag…

well, I assume they need all they can get.

I’ll dispell this: when I started the devs were active on the WS forum, monitored player feedback and pushed fixes or additional updates soon after. They also usually ran every build through Testing server to actually test it, so major bugs would be rare in the main game.
Have a look on the update history, eg. 2011: https://www.realmeye.com/wiki/release-history-2011 you’ll see updates being pushed every couple of weeks.

(Kabam took over in June 2012 if that piece of info is helpful when looking through the game’s history.)

Afaik WS was much more active on the bug fixes front and less active on the new content front.

imagine trying to stop making a pxartist thread but you ping pxartist

Hmm. Yes, while if you buy food boxes, it isn’t too expensive, think about it like this.

Some random player, like RNGScrub, has a pet. He likes his pet. But it is a 72-71-3 legendary. RNGScrub has some money to spend. He spends 40 dollars on the food boxes, which is fairly reasonable. He sees Youtube videos, and feels it should get his pet up to decent levels. So lets say he gets a completely average amount of FP. $20= 2600 gold. so 5200 gold. Then, we divide that by 129, which was the cost for the ambrosia box. So 40 spins. I think we can agree the misery box gives a lot more power pizzas and oreos than Ambroisa and super burgers, So I feel I would be safe in assuming he would get around 7 pizzas, 7 oreos, 5 grapes, 14 burgers, maybe like 5 Superburgers, and 2 Ambrosisas. So, assuming that he doesn’t fame train (A horrible waste of time), So If he was to feed all of it, he would spend another 2400 gold. Or, he could not feed the pizzas, but end up losing about 5250FP. This is definitely not cheap. Say what you want, but even if RNGScrub could cut the costs in half, to a somewhat reasonable $30, this is a slippery slope.

TLDR; Don’t buy pet food, not worth it, isn’t fun.

However, I do like Deca. They have done a lot to help realm, and I personally don’t mind paying up for their services.

DECA is the best!
They make mistakes, sometimes, but they just solve them very well!
Their Support is so good, when most needed!

That’s not because you have no idea how to replace something bad that you shouldn’t tell this is bad, anyone can make observations

Otherwise I agree with the rest of your message

I think you misunderstand me- if someone has something constructive to say, I’d love to hear it.
I’m only telling the people who ask, “Make realm better, it sux lol” to shut up.

they’re gonna lose lots of money. 99% of playerbase pays for legendary and divine pets. Additionally, while pet food may be in daily rewards, many players buy pet food.