Oryx 2 modifications?

I don’t want O2 to be super tough end game content, thanks, so please no redesigns with that goal in mind.

I think the current O2 redesign has been done well and gives a variety of challenge without being smack you on the head instadeath if you make one slight mistake (hi Nest).

Though I think I’d prefer if his phases weren’t fixed at 80, 50, 20 percent, but he cycled through them randomly in the same way that O1 does. Then you aren’t stuck with a player group versus a phase that none of them are capable of.

Having the capability to back out of the fight is important for keeping the game accessible and to stop players continually grabbing for the hack client as the only way to deal with a too-difficult game/enemy.

HP scale isn’t a perfect thing in here either at all, since leechers now negatively affect the fight, instead of being merely neutral non-combatants before.

On the side, I always thought of O1 as the actual boss, and O2 more as a bonus level rather than O2 as the Final Form or anything.

Quoting the first section of this post in a project Im working on regarding making Oryx 2 a more proper encounter in the ‘grandiose event’ sense I have called A Revitalizing of the Mad God, if you don’t mind.

This is true, but with the way the fight is currently set up, people tend to back up… And stay backed up. A maxed character can easily get sb in during the first phase, and then leech for the rest of the fight and still get loot. With both the exploding suns and dance phases, there is often a giant mob of people just outside of the Zone of Death who simply wait while a couple brave/skilled players stay close and hack their way through an hp-scaled boss with no extra reward. I would argue that the fight still needs some improvements, perhaps by raising the bar on sb thresholds or having a smaller arena so people have to stay engaged. I’m not sure what the changes should be, but the current system doesn’t seem to be working out.

is that like a 2013 habit?

what is dont like about o2 is that they seem weird. like the sun phase, like i have no idea how that fits?

Maybe they’re trying to build on the idea of Oryx being all-powerful (like the planets phase in O1), and so he has the power to make stars explode at will. Who knows for sure?

The original Solstice set used to drop from O2, if I remember, so…
Slight correction: it dropped instead of the normal T6 spell, and that includes O2, but also Shatts stuff.

On a side note, a thousand suns is a lot of power for a spell - even if they’re not even as powerful as the sun it should be able to easily enough vaporize both any boss but also anyone in the realm.

So: dont use this because i dont want to be vaporized :(((((((

What if they are 1000 really really small suns.

A bit off the rails here…

Do other people agree that DECA is mixing up which Oryx should be getting buffed?

Logically, O1 is when the force of players meet the god at his strongest and angriest. O1 would be the real bullet hell, where he unleashes all his pent-up rage on the players, and should be extremely mobile and dangerous. When defeated, he flees to his wine cellar, weakened. The players follow him in to finish the job to find an unstable mad god, drunk and deranged. here is where O2 would make mistakes, slip up, and fall to the players a final time.

If it were me, O1 would be buffed to hell and all droprates increased.

O2 would be significantly reduced in difficulty and drops. The wine cellar should also not be linear like it is now - I think a twisting maze, with all the players starting in one spot, would be far more fun, as well as Oryx’s location on the map hidden. No teleportation, of course. DECA could add a LOT more to it - after all, it’s a wine cellar! There’s room for creativity! Make the enemies more interesting - currently, they make no sense at all. Why does Oryx have slimes in his wine cellar? Random mutated monsters? Stone statues? Eyeballs that explode? He should have rats, mice, stowaways, servants, and minions patrolling the halls, not enemies fit for a parasite chamber. And have alcohol drop more, for Christ’s sake! It’s not like it’s overpowered, and that stuff should be everywhere.

I can’t be the only one who thinks this, right?

Maybe the wine cellar could have a barricade enemy or two (think Defender in LH) that would ensure that you didn’t need to rush the dungeon to get to the boss in time. The fight wouldn’t have to be long or hard, but just enough to let players catch up and actually have to clear.

I hadn’t thought about the other parts of the wine cellar much (the minions are only a concern when you get to the boss, and even then they don’t last long), but now that you mention it, there’s a lot more they could do.

Well that’s wrong because 1000 is a big number so they must be big suns. Checkmate libtards

Funny thing is with the new O2, that’s one of the things you no longer need to worry about, since he takes so long to die and SB is so low, you can be very casual with arriving late/slowly.

Yeah, the only thing I’m thinking about is how right now, everybody just rushes and completely ignores the minions. It seems like in this scenario, the minions would recognize that their master was vulnerable and would mount a desperate defense against the onslaught of heroes. This would make the path to Oryx would harder, and the minions would no longer seem like a minor annoyance.

I mean, I’ve died to the minions on semi-maxed or 1-3/8 characters, its not a walk in the park

I agree with this, now that you bring it up. The minions should be harder. Maybe something like ice cave too, where each of them must be cleared before Oryx can be taken on.

I mentioned earlier I would be citing this in a project of mine revitalizing the Oryx “endgame”, but never actually mentioned it here when I finished it:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.