Politics ( ͡° ͜ ʖ ͡°)

ok was just trying to clarify

You made a post purely to make fun of his posting style.

I agree it has problems but there were better ways of telling him this.

(not to mention this is the politics thread, not the writing advice thread)

that’s,…fair

I can always make it one ( ͡° ͜ ͡°)

no the ad hominem is funny trust me

yes

Stop with the cancer

But why? :frowning_face:

just doing my weekly post on here.

So… what do you guys think of this thread so far?

Needs more gun debates.

Speaking of which:

How do you guys feel about the teacher-arming thing in Florida?

I’m in support. Schools are a gun free zone already but it doesn’t stop people from bringing guns in. I think the only solution while we have guns in America is to arm teachers and make sure people being vigilant.

i honestly dont understand this whole american thing about how the only way to combat firearms is more firearms

maybe its because i dont live in america and i dont have any experience with firearms but i feel like maybe a better solution is to impose stricter regulations on gun ownership and/or use

That doesn’t really work to reduce gun crime. The people who want to do bad stuff with guns will always find a faster, better way to obtain a gun illegally. We already have fairly strict gun laws, depending on your interpretation of that and the state you live in. Those leave the law abiding citizen at a disadvantage.

“Florida man hallucinates in the middle of class; unloads entire magazine into a 4th-grader after yelling “Begone, Satan!””

Serious thought though: is the state paying for it or do the teachers have to pay for everything (purchase, training, maintenance) out of their own pocket?

… such as stealing guns from law-abiding citizens, which is considerably easier to do when they all buy way too many guns, for example.

Not to mention how buying more guns also increases the amount of accidents as well.

australia has strict gun control laws
america does not
there are 12 times as many gun related deaths per 100 000 people in the us compared to australia

Wait… What?

that’s most likely because they have around 1/10 of the U.S population (around 30 million if I’m correct).

@JimdaFish oh alright, thanks for the clarification! :smiley:

These numbers are not total; as seen at the top of the chart, they are per 100,000 people per year. Total population of each country has nothing to do with it.

I don’t think the average teacher
a) knows how gun kickback works
b) has decent accuracy
c) calm enough nerves to keep their hands steady in the most terrifying situation they’ll ever be in
d) could prevent the gun from being stolen and used in a shooting by a student
e) knows that shooting someone won’t stop them immediately unless you hit something vital
f) wants to do gun training for all of the above.

or how ricochet works

or the 21-feet rule

That’s really the biggest issue: if the teachers have to pay for everything out of their own pocket and find the time to train on top of their existing job, it’s just not going to work. If public teachers are as overworked in the States as they are in France, you can forget about relying on them for any meaningful defense against mass shooters.

(if this is a bit too depressing for our readers, I’d like to remind them that there are recorded cases of school shootings that failed due to the shooter’s incompetence and, in at least one case, due to a mere couch)

Personally I’m fucking terrified of being anywhere NEAR a firearm. Maybe it’s because I’ve never handled one, or maybe I’m just a pussy, but if you handed me a gun and told me “go shoot that guy he’s about to kill a bunch of children” I probably would just have a fucking breakdown.

I don’t doubt that many teachers would have a similar reaction.