Poll: should we change our approach to the Ideas category?

I wasn’t arguing that feedback isn’t help; I was arguing that help shouldn’t be synonymous with feedback. When you ask for people to help you with a project, you’re asking them to work along you for it, while asking for feedback is for them to point out what’s wrong with it. It’s a similar concept with ideas.

Take my upcoming dungeon idea: I’m getting art help from Piggby. Without this art complete (although I haven’t started on my end at all) I would never post it. However, I’m going to ask some people for feedback from the concept prior to releasing it. If I had to release it before I could get all of this feedback, I’d be fine with it.

Now, I’m going to stop before this drives the post off-topic. My thesis is as follow: feedback is help, but one shouldn’t mistake one for the other.

That makes a lot more sense. Can’t wait to see the new dungeon idea😮

Technically, you’ve seen a part of it already :wink:

/offtopic

Since @Doc is not completely sure about how this Idea should turn out, shouldn’t it be moved to WIP? :thinking:

Ayy, Doc. If you want need people to move ideas into WIP, don’t worry. I’ve been moving incomplete ideas to Community Hub for a while now, and I certainly will appreciate a WIP section!

Afterall I have proclaimed myself as the Ideas Dept. Janitor :wink:

In any case, I think as regs, there’s some “responsibility” of tidying up the forums, and having a section which I have been waiting for a while now certainly helps the sorting proccess.

On the other hand, having a WIP still won’t filter bad complete ideas. After all, the one which would almost guarantee a good idea is in #ideas:best. So if we are doing this to help Deca, then I’d say the most selective proccess has already been done. They just have to look at #ideas:best

As you are elder here on forum
Does any idea here get implemented into the game?

Besides Lost Halls and Toxic Sewers? I believe they like to see which ones are Artists, but don’t quote me on that one.

Toxic Sewers was an original UGC idea. Lost Halls, though, was a community project originally.

Was sewers posted on the forums, somewhere on the older one?

Nope. That was Kiddforce’s original project.

None have, so far. However, these forums and DECA are still very young, and DECA has said that they check Reddit and the forums daily for ideas.

Some ideas have made it into the game, such as Tomb of the Ancients, The Shatters, Lost Halls, some pet skins, and some other ideas.

@Panytnaa If it makes you feel better, Deca contacted me about my dungeon idea and brought me in the UGC (that was both a shameless plug and helpful). Nothing regarding implementing the dungeon has been said (at least to me) or done, though. That aside, basically, if you put tons of effort into it and present it very well (r4ndomSXD said he prefers that in the recent AMA), you, too, may be brought on the team.

*crickets chirp awkwardly in the background*

Can I assume that the Deca team uses reddit for those purposes, or is there another line of communication? Especially for the first contact

Ditto what Shatter said.

WiP section sounds great, but you’ll need people to monitor both the sections and shuffle posts from one to the other.

Also need a guideline for WiP - like you said, just a passing thought is not even a WiP, it’s just a passing thought. Maybe such posts should be consolidated into a megathread in the WiP section?

Either way, like Shatter said, we need both a new section/subforum and more strict monitoring. I’m sure a few Regulars will be able to handle whatever workload might pop up if a new subforum is implemented.

wow this is a good idea

I’ll be honest, if we want a section of good ideas, perhaps we could instead have something like community’s favourite, where the Original Post has gotten 20 likes, or something like that. It just seems that #ideas:best takes so long to update, which is good because it means that the ideas there are truly top notch, but it also means that it’ll only update once every blue moon

The Clock Tower

If the clock tower drops blue paint can it be in best of the best?

Also, why isn’t the original lh doc in best of the best?

The Clock Tower

Good point. Perhaps #ideas:best is too elite/idealistic to achieve? We do have solid grounds on when to move ideas there, right?

Nope. There’s hardly anything in there cuz we’re lazy. We never did come up with criteria to determine what belongs. There’s tons of good ideas that are #ideas:best worthy. We should probably do an idea of the week. Could probably go a year of updates and still have more good ideas to move.