RealmEye Forum one month anniversary update - what next?

We’ve hit our one month anniversary! It’s slowed down a bit, which is expected as the hype wears off, but overall we’re still growing and dozens of people are posting well over a hundred times daily.* There’s a lot of interesting discussions, tons of really interesting and thoughtful ideas (we lock any that aren’t), and we even have polls. Thank you to everyone who visits and posts on the forum!

I want to give everyone some updates about the feedback you gave us last time we posted. There have been a several changes, many based on your feedback.

• By far the most popular request was for a dark theme. /u/BMJ heard your cries and worked tirelessly to make one. Here’s what it looks like. You can set in your user preferences under the Theme setting. Thanks BMJ!
  • The front page is now more like a traditional forum, showing all Categories with few of the recent topics per-category on the right. Before it had two columns, one for Categories and another for Latest, which many found confusing and unattractive. Latest is still available at the top of the page for those who like using it.
  • Tighter integration with RealmEye:
    • Links to your profile, messages, and offers directly from your user menu.
    • The RealmEye menu is now visible at the top of the page via the arrow toggle, like this.
    • Your in-game star color appears next to your name on all posts.
  • Sileeeeex joined! We’ve made a new section called Developers Corner where they can post their official news announcements. We also have an Official Events area where they can also post, plus we’ve been mirroring all official events there as well.

So what else can we do for you? We think the forum is great, obviously, but if there’s anything holding you back or making you not like it we want to know!

*For stats junkies: https://www.realmeye.com/forum/about

• 2600+ users
    • 800+ have done more than just sign up and leave
    • 115+ are very active, visiting and posting at least 15 of the last 30 days
  • 1000+ topics
  • 13,000+ replies

reddit cross post

I just want you people on the development team to know that I think I speak for a large majority here when I say RealmEye and these wonderful forums are some of the best additions to the RotMG community yet. Fantastic work, everyone involved! :grinning:

Thanks! That’s great to hear. :grin:

Just wondering…

Do you get notified if you get a message sent to you? (I can’t check this myself because I don’t get messaged lol)

As for what’s next… Petition to get DECA to replace that super outdated WildShadow Forum link with this one :3

BMJ made a sweet tool for us to use, one feature of which displays our unread message count in the corner.

I’d love to see the RealmEye toolbar arrow icon to change color if you have a RealmEye message.

Utilizing the built-in 'messages' forums feature

I’m talking about this type of message, are we talking about the same thing?

@Doc Yeah, that’s the type of message I was talking about.

Yup that’s it!

That’s a good solution. I’ll add that to the list and look into it.

I don’t think the dark theme works for mobile
:weary:

Have you tried setting it again and refreshing the page after saving your preferences?

Give me a shout with any layout bugs you come across along with your phone model and browser and I’ll see what I can sort out.

Sorry, I had misunderstood and thought you were just referring to the notifications you get when someone replies to a post.

But @BMJ it’d be cool, thanks for all your contributions!

Never mind it works now

Awesome work @admins, @moderators and anyone else involved in the creation and continuing development of these forums. Absolutely love the forums and it’s many innovative features. Totally lovin’ the night/day mode themes, great work and diligence in getting the dark theme working, @BMJ! Keep up the excellent work, everyone!

Oh yeah that reminds me…

Does @moderators work now?

And another thing @Doc, what was the original intent of the ‘Best of the Best’ subtopic?

Community voted or moderator chosen?

I have no idea. Didn’t know that it wasn’t working. Maybe it does and it seems not to because all of them were too busy to answer? I guess whether or not it works remains to be seen. :slight_smile:

@mods and @moderators does not work. Given how often it’s used we may need to turn it on.

Best of the Best should probably get some things moved into it. We were going to examine popular ideas to see which were most well liked and complete, then move them into this category to highlight and preserve them. Also, not sure if anyone has noticed yet, but all categories will auto-close topics 2 months after the last reply. Best of the Best would not auto-close, so good ideas could live forever.

There are definitely some dungeon ideas that well deserve to be in there. I’m always really impressed at the time/effort put into those ideas.

Edit: Lost Halls (Toastrz) and Dappertrons ideas are two I have in mind.

dappertron has like 20000000000000000000 though

edit: lol oops relived ded thread, oh well.

Well, it’s only two documents -_- so I count it as two lol.

Though I’d actually like to see the section be used…