Reflector Badge and Heir's Coat

A couple of UT items based on a fanmade dungeon I’m working on. I’m posting here so that I can get more feedback on balancing and sprites.

Reflector Badge

Reflector%20Badge%20(Outlined)

A bright blue badge that sparks with energy. Its reflective properties allow its wearer to return any damage in the form of powerful electricity.

Stats:

• Tier: UT
  • On Hit: Reflects damage in the form of chained lightning
  • Damage: 120
  • Range: 9 tiles
  • Targeting Cone: 360°
  • Targets: 8
  • Stat Bonus: +6 ATT, +6 SPD
  • Fame Bonus: 7%
  • Feed Power: 750

Drops From:

• Blue Thunder

More info

This is very much inspired by the Franklin Badge from the Mother series. To be clear, this is a UT accessory/ring, not an ability, that is dropped by the event boss of my dungeon. I wanted the item to have an on-hit proc similar to E.Y.E. but with a different effect being triggered.

Heir’s Coat

Heir's%20Coat%20(Outlined)

A hand-me-down coat passed down through generations of pirates and worn by the captain of the sky himself. Despite its age, the coat has only gotten stronger through the metals it has been imbued with.

Stats:

• Tier: UT
  • On Shoot: When out of combat, Armored for 6 seconds
  • Cooldown: 10 seconds
  • Stat Bonus: +4 DEF, +4 DEX
  • Fame Bonus: 7%
  • Feed Power: 1,100

Drops From:

• Captain Cirrus

More info

Heavy armor based off of the clothing of the boss of my dungeon. It’s kind of a reskin of the Naval Uniform, but I tried my best to make it more unique with the colors and shape. As for the actual item, I wanted it to both act as a bit of a cushion while still reward those who can dodge better. If you manage to avoid most high-damage shots ,then the proc protects you from weaker attacks, but if you don’t dodge well, then the item’s proc becomes less useful. Yeah, it’s a bit self-contradictory because if you’re dodging well then you probably don’t need the Armored buff, but the armor is more of a small cushion than a reliable source of defense.

The coat is a leather armour, with the + DEX? It’s so unbalanced so as be almost useless. I mean, Armoured is + 50% DEF. But with only 4 DEF, together with a char’s 25 DEF for a total of 29 DEF, that’s only +14 DEF when armoured.

Effectively it has a DEF of 4 + 14 DEF when active. Less than Wyrmhide which has +6 DEX. But the real killer is it’s only active part of the time. At best 60% of the time if you avoid getting hit. At worst once you take damage you lose all benefit. And without armoured it’s worse than even T0. Plus with such low DEF you’re likely to stay In Combat for much longer.

Obviously needs more DEF. But I don’t know if even then it would be acceptable as armoured is one of those things that’s deliberately rare in the game, available from a handful of abilities with tradeoffs (Prot has much worse heal, Jugg has no speedy), which are limited by your MP, by being silenced or quieted.

Sorry I should’ve specified that one too, the coat is a heavy armor. That’s why the base DEF value is lower since most heavy armor classes already have high base DEF caps.

Only Knight has exceptionally high DEF. The other classes have limited boosts (+5 base for Pally, up to +12 from helms for Warr).

So for them +50% is worth 17 (half of 34) or 20 (half of 37 + 4). Basically for a Pally it boosts it to about a t10 armour, for Warrior to about the same as t13. Again only part of the time.

Knight is the only one where the maths makes some sort of sense. A Knight with this + Ogmur or t7 has 58 DEF. Half of that is +29 which added to the 4 beats t15 armour. But again for at most 60% of the time so it’s hardly worth it. And of all the classes Knight is the one that least needs armoured. It’s other classes that benefit from armoured to bring their DEF to closer to Knight’s, Knight already has enough DEF with just tiered gear.

Help me out here; what class should I target this armor towards? I want it to be a heavy armor, but if it doesn’t work out then I’m fine with changing it to a leather armor. If I too much DEF then the armor becomes broken, but if I add too little then it’s going to remain an underwhelming item. Contrary to my name I didn’t actually factor much math into this, I kinda just had a general concept in my mind and hoped that the armor would at least be acceptable.

Ring seems fun. I feel like it’s most easily comparable to potato and it seems like a cool alternative.

Armor, on the other hand, is notably kinda weak. I simply can’t really think of a place to use it. The only time defense really outscales hp is when you’re taking a lot of shots. However, if you’re actively taking shots, then the armored effect wouldn’t even trigger because it can only trigger when you’re out of combat. You call it a cushion for safety reasons but wouldn’t you just much prefer extra hp in order to increase the chance of not getting instakilled as opposed to extra def if you can dodge most shots anyway? When it comes to considering how to balance it, I would recommend looking at the “Vest of Abandoned Shadows”, the hide from shatters that gives armored in combat. Take into consideration that it doesn’t see much play (outside of as a 8% fame bonus hide).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.