Simple dagger class fixes

Pretty much everyone agrees dagger classes have fallen behind the times and are in need of being brought back to relevance. My fixes here are fairly short changes that don’t drastically change the class, since I think anything more warrants a full redesign. And yes, these have probably been said before somewhere.

For assassin: It’s a dull class whose one niche is being able to safe spot and hurl poisons at insane ranges.
My fix: Give it a max cast radius (Let’s say 6.5 to be a bit more than wakis) and crank that ability damage output way up. Essentially make a dagger version of wizard, more limited in range with slightly more survivability, it’s simple and dull but it’d still be better than sin’s current state. Possibly even rename the class to grenadier since sin never really felt like it fit.

For Trickster: Decoy’s have always been a really strong ability when used right, but design is shifting to make them less useful or outright useless in some cases.
My solution: Let decoys shoot at the user’s point of aim. Now there’s a lot of ways of balancing that to not make it too strong, self-debuffs equal to decoy duration, reduced RoF from the decoy, etc. But I think it’ll make the class very interesting to play with, some UTs could even go to the extreme of self-stun and the decoy is your full dps. I’m not sure this’d cause any problems but feel free to point them out (If figuring out which one you are becomes an issue, give the decoys or user a border)

For Rogue: The nature of invisibility makes the class want to be solo, but to do the endgame you need a group, so invisibility becomes pointless (other than while invis procs)
My answer: Take the priest’s less heal per person detector/calculator, and throw it on cloaks so that if you cloak near other players you gain scaling “buffs” (basic +att/dex for example). The baseline rush ability is unchanged, you still go invisible to gain your procs, but the game actually acknowledges being invisible in a crowd is pointless and gives you something to compensate. You can even game the system, cloak in a crowd then go in with your invis. (As I recall the teleport of plane occurs before the invis, so you wouldn’t be able to do that sneaky move)

My own thought on Assassin (which is the one being looked at right now so worth throwing out ideas for):

Give poisons secondary effects but ones that only benefit the Assassin. So e.g. they Curse but only you see the benefit. And it need not be limited to Curse. It could provide stronger boosts because it’s personal not group, and because you still need to get within dagger range to take advantage of it.

So e.g. Damaging + Armour Break at the same time. Or Curse++, so Curse but with double the effect. Or Exposed, which currently is pretty much Samurai exclusive. The effect can be different for different poisons, or the same for tiered with radius + duration improving. UTs can have different effects as they already do. And they should still do direct damage, so they can be used as now when you can’t get close, or when you want to target something over a wall.

These are part of why I suggested outright renaming the class. To give room for an actual sin class that could have the whole “coat your dagger” in poisons (DDS(P++) style) for your shots to deal these DOTs and debuffs while abandoning the “grenade” part entirely.

Maybe even fun stuff like mark a spot, a shot spawns on your location, holds for a second, then rockets to it at insane speed ignoring terrain, a literal skillshot.

Ah. if I was going to add a class that can poison its weapon I’d make it a Katana class – though it’s the Shuriken that’s traditionally poisoned. Scything through crowds with a poisoned katana would be fun.

Another possibility that acually doubles down on the grenade throwing: have it so you can charge it to produce a greater effect. Hold down <space> for up to 3 seconds say for up to 100% boost to damage. Very hard to balance though, to not make it either too generous or too weak. It’s the sort of mechanic that could easily be used with other abilities too. It’s not happened though so there may be technical or design reasons for not doing it.

My good sir, you are in luck! A poisoned katana DOES EXIST!!!

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.