Sorcerer Ability Rework

Sorcerer Ability Rework: Function: “remove the damage falloff for consecutive targets.”
“generate a shield around self which blocks all incoming damage for
one second.”
Sorcerer Ability Rework: Graphic: “the damage now comes down in the form of split-second
lightning bolts from the heavens above each enemy
effected.”
“the shield is light-grey, spherical, and the opacity is 90%.”

The Sorcerer class has no place. It doesn’t contribute much to group environments, but is also not tanky enough to be an effective solo character. If it were to gain a shield, and have consistent damage to all its targets, these two little buffs would make it as viable and fun to play as wizard/priest/archer/paladin.

Please consider.

It’s an excellent solo char. With range, decent speed, good vit it’s one of the safest classes to play. It can do a lot of damage with piercing and an ability that works at a similar range to a wand. I’ve been exalting SPD mostly by soloing Cults, it’s IMHO the best char for it as with fulmi everything up to the Cult bosses is trivial.

Damage falloff makes the ability more interesting; there are a couple without it, and one with increasing damage. You have an ability that slows and a couple that do large damage to far fewer enemies, so at least two good alternatives to tiered, and a lot of variety.

As for the shield, making invulnerability a class feature of any class ain’t going to happen !

Sorcerer is fine. One of the best classes rn, definitely doesn’t need this change, and having essentially invincibility on a ranged class is broken

In light of summoner’s recent release, I understand your frustration with sorc seemingly being overshadowed as the dps wand class, but I don’t think I agree with your fix.

So I personally think of fulmi as the single best slowing item in the game. You don’t have to be precise, it has a low mp cost, and it covers an entire group of enemies (even if they aren’t in your FoV yet), not just an area. And if you are in a group in glands fulmi/honey scepters are the single best tools in the game for securing sb (and a chance at pots) on all the gods in the area.

Solo, as Skandling mentioned, the high Vit is actually kind of nice with the Combat system (especially relative to its “competition” of wizzy and summoner).

As for your change: I think it would be interesting to see a UT scepter that gave you a “bubble” with hp based on the amount of damage you did/targets you hit with your scepter or something :smiley:, but I definitely agree w/Dee that invincibility on a class with Sorc’s range would be pretty unfair.

Would you mind noting a few points on why you think sorcerer is in a “good place”.
Would you mind noting a few points on why you think a 1 second “damage” shield would be broken?

I think I’ve address why I think sorc is in a good place, but I’ll go ahead and answer for why I think the 1s shield would be broken (Dee can feel free to elaborate):

Just from a theory standpoint, there are currently 2 classes that have access to inv, and both are melees. There is an inherent power balance here as they are forced to get closer to bosses to deal their damage, so it makes sense that they will eat more shots and in turn might have need for invulnerability. Classes that have range like sorc don’t have to get close to deal solid damage and so shouldn’t need to worry about invulnerability as they should be able to see shots coming and have plenty of time to dodge while safely damaging.

But far more importantly, a change like this would be easily abuseable on Sorc’s ability. Scepters have a low mp cost tied to a class with a hefty amount of available mana which is already very wis-hungry. Oreo has a 5s cooldown on a high mana-cost item that provides other buffs (as is common on seals) during the invulnerability downtime. Cshield is tied to a class that has with a moderate mana cap and low wisdom. It has to re-orient it’s entire set to accommodate for and effectively use the invulnerability. Can it go for a while? Yes, but it is highly susceptible to interruption and is best used when you are literally standing on a boss (and thus are very likely to get hit by any “interrupting” projectiles), making effective use highly reliant on enemy knowledge. Furthermore, it slows and requires pretty significant downtime after it is used for mana to be regenerated.

Now consider: you are proposing 1s (pretty innocent, right? that’s short!) of invulnerability to a class whose abilities cost between 70-80 mp on the most used ones. You would easily be able to spam your scepter for over 5s of invulnerability not counting pets. All of this from a range where you shouldn’t have to worry much about any specific silence or quieting shots. I think we can all agree this is a little ridiculous.

The solution to this is of course to introduce cooldowns to scepters. But do you really want that from a damaging ability? We don’t have cooldowns on spellbombs for a reason. People want to spam their ability key to get their damage in during vulnerable phases. This just fundamentally works against what sorc is trying to do.

I think I get what you are going for (and again, I think a limited-hp shield based on something as a ut would be really cool!), and I hope this didn’t come across as just blatantly aggressive, but this really would not work.

Did you really just ask me both of those questions? First of all, sorc has good stats. Especially vit. With ic/ooc vit is actually useful and sorc has plenty of it. Wanda got a huge buff and are pretty broken, namely lumi and fallen. Ability is just as good as ever, robes are pretty much the best armor, and it has range.
Invincibility is broken just on concept, don’t think I need to explain that one. You are literally invincible, how is that not broken?

Hello WTH is this? Sorc’s ability is fine as it is. Adding an Invulnerability (even if it is 1 second duration) on a ranged class means you can practically cheese through everything.

Yes it does. For me, I use Sorc to farm up pots in GLand themselves. It was rather a success than a failure in the usual rate.

Ranged class meant to be avoiding shots than tanking them. You want to tank shots, grab a Heavy Armor class and do that 24/7 (as long as you have the right set).

Those buffs you are proposing as I mentioned… is absolutely OP, even more than a max Defence Prot Priest.

I feel like Sorc could make use of a change but I don’t really know what that would be lol. Whenever I think to play Sorc I end up using Wizard =P

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.