The First Five Masks

What are the five masks?

The five masks are five unique UTs that drop from the Snake Pit, Manor of the Immortals, Lair of Draconis, Oryx’s Castle, and the Lost Halls. Masks are ring slot items, and have special effects that can be activated once every 90 seconds by pressing ‘Z’ (of course, this key would be able to be rebound). Each mask contains a part in a small story, but the long term of this idea I want to make a mask of each dungeon, and have a much longer more intricate lore etched into the masks as a whole. These first five masks are mainly too see what people think of the idea, and whether of not I should expand on it. Keep in mind that this idea is very early in creation so the stats and effects of the masks may not be perfectly balanced. The goal of this post is not just to share the idea, but also to gain feedback on the viability of the concept.

The Horned Serpent

"As we arrived at the site of the masked man’s creation, we witnessed unrivaled horror…"
Stat Bonuses:
+5 Def
+5 Spd
+5 Dex
Effect:
Once every 90 seconds while outside a dungeon, the wearer can press ‘Z’ to release a cloud of deadly poison within 2.5 sqrs of their cursor. All enemies caught in the cloud will become paralyzed for 4 seconds and receive 400 points of poison damage over the course of 4 seconds. The damage dealt by the poison counts toward soulbound damage and ignores enemy defense.
Drops From:
Stheno

The Risen Bat

"…ten eyes of crimson stared through us, and a single thought rang through our minds…"
Stat Bonuses:
+5 Def
+5 Atk
+5 Vit
Effect:
Once every 90 seconds, the wearer can press ‘Z’ to grant their weapon the vampires blessing for 10 seconds. While enthralled by the vampires blessing, damage dealt by the wearer’s weapon is increased by 15% and 1.5% of all damage dealt is restored back to the wearer.
Drops From:
Ruthven

The Gilded Dragon

"…Help us. We pleaded to our ancestors, as five cruel faces grew large within our vision…"
Stat Bonuses:
+5 Def
+5 Spd
+50 Hp
Effect:
Once every 90 seconds, the wearer can press ‘Z’ to create a gilded circle for 20 seconds. Players within the circle receive 10% less damage from all sources, deal 10% more damage, and regain health 25% faster. Enemies and enemy projectiles also move half as fast while inside the circle.
Drops From:
Ivory Wyvern

The Mad God

"…A sound rang out. One unheard by most, but heard only to us, which banished the unborn…"
Stat Bonuses:
+5 Def
+5 Atk
+50 Hp
Effect:
Once every 90, the wearer can press ‘Z’ to teleport to a new location, while also granting a madness effect for 10 seconds. After teleporting, the wearer becomes mad with power and will now 10% more damage, take 10% less damage, move 10% faster, and shoot 10% farther, but will be drunk the whole duration of the effect.
Drops From:
Oryx

The Empty Vestige

"…The faces recoiled, petrified by the symphony of death, and fell each to a different pit."
Stat Bonuses:
+5 Def
+5 Atk
+5 Dex
Effect:
Once every 90 seconds, the wearer can press ‘Z’ to become ethereal for 7 seconds. While ethereal, the player can not deal or take any damage, and is not effected by and can not use any abilities or effects of any kind. While ethereal, the wearer also gains a 15% bonus to movement speed and health regen.
Drops From:
The Void Entity

Should I continue working on this idea?

• Yes
  • Yes, but you should change __________
  • No

0 voters

Seems like an interesting idea, but they’re completely useless if you can’t use your ability.
Would you rather be able to use all your mana for an interesting, but worthless buff or two with a cooldown of 2 minutes (!) or use your main ability?

Definitely a cool idea, I especially like the first one. Although I’m not entirely sure about the replacement of the main ability. What if it were the ability for a new class, say a tiki?

Why press the Z key if they’re in your ability slot? That seems kind of dumb.

Yes, but should change the HP withdrawn from The Risen Bat. It’s too much. Take this into account: A player can easily deal the damage of ones HP bar within a second.
Here’s a totally absurd example, but it emphasizes my point.

That there, is 918 health, per second. Quite a bit. Maybe nerf it to 2 or 3%.

Stop. The special effect stuff will never be implemented in realm

These are pretty much just buffed reindeer eggs, and there’s more than one reason as to why they were removed.

Okay, I took everyone’s feedback into account and changed some things:

Concept Changes

• Masks are now ring slot items
  • Masks no longer consume mana
  • Masks have a flat 90 second cooldown instead of once use per dungeon and a 120 second cooldown while outside dungeons

Specific Mask Changes

• The Risen Bat now only restores 1.5% of damage dealt

Possible Changes

• Instead of having a cooldown, masks could charge by collecting exp from enemies

Why press the Z key if they’re in your ability slot? That seems kind of dumb.

Yeah that was stupid of me. I made them ring slot items now anyway so hopefully that makes more sense now.

Stop. The special effect stuff will never be implemented in realm

(Warning: This turned into more of a rant than I had intended, and it kind of doesn’t have to do that much with the special effect stuff, maybe special effects won’t be added to realm anyway, and maybe I’m completely wrong about what I’m talking about in this rant, but whatever I’m posting it. Take this as you may, ignore it if you want.)

If the game keeps getting updated without major changes to the base game, it will die. Not this year, maybe not the next, but it will die.

Now I know special effects on items don’t seem like major changes, and they aren’t really. This was just a fun idea I was tossing around and wasting a bit of time on. However, concepts like special item effects are tiny pieces of a puzzle that never got put together because of the changes in leadership.

Deca has done a great job. They have implemented amazing qol changes, cool new dungeons, constant events, and they have made changes to the base game, but I feel like people overlook what more they could be doing.

Realm needs changes like special effects on items, maybe not that specifically, but the base of the game needs to expand. It needs new classes, new types of realms, new game modes, new concepts. These are the kind of things will keep realm popular in the long run. A couple new dungeons won’t stop the game from dying a couple years from now, but a couple new classes might just lengthen its lifetime while also making the game more enjoyable and bringing old players back.

I don’t really care if it takes a year, two years, or however long for these changes to be implemented, but right now it feels like we aren’t ever going to get new classes, let alone other major changes to the base game.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.