The Occultist (by Santer)

Here is my take on a summoner type class, inspired by Zathsu’s Acolyte.
Let me know what you think.

1. All the robe classes have 385 mp. Is there a reason why this one only has 252?
  2. Just to get this straight. Once the wisps are summoned, there is no mp cost to mantain them.

Kind of an arbitrary decision I guess?
This class relies less on spamming its ability and more on strategy, so i would just have adjusted the MP costs to the higher max MP. You do have a point though, it might be a good idea to greatly reduce MP regen while Wisps are out though.

Quick question. What is the spawn rate of the wisps? This matter because I noted that you can’t actually fire the ability until all the wisps are loaded up. However, as higher tier abilities summon more wisps, it means that it would take more time between shots.

Also, the jump from t5 to t6 seems a bit too extreme.

but can he 0 + bleed

Wisps spawn with a very short delay from each other. About 0.1 or 0.2 seconds

Do you have to press space to spawn the next wisp?

Personally, I like what you’re trying to do but dislike the class. Looking at the stats, the class is around average. However, it’s ability is relatively weak, especially on a wand class.
From an initial glance, the damage is slightly under a spell, which makes perfect sense. However, looking at the t6 ability, the base cost is 40 MP per candle and can’t be fired until all 5 candles are in orbit. 5*40 makes 200 MP, 115 MP more then the t6 spell. Along with 200 MP being massive by itself, we look at another problem. The base max MP of Occultist is 252 MP meaning his t6 ability takes up slightly under 80% of his total MP.
A slightly smaller issue with candles is the actually firing process. I apologize if I misunderstood it but here is my idea of how it works. You spawn candles that orbit around you at a certain distance, probably ½ -1 range. When you fire out your abilities, they launch from their current location toward the location of your mouse. However, because they don’t all launch from the same origin, they don’t actually reach the location of your pointer at the same time. Along with this with no (noted) pierce, it’s unlikely to land on any non-individual boss, unlike a spell which spawns on the pointer.
So far, we have that the ability with around 1/2.3 the MP efficiency of the spell along with accuracy weaknesses. However, of course, there is a redeeming factor. But here is where we hit another problem. The theoretical redeeming factor is an increase in def. Although such an increase is useful on sword classes, katana classes, dagger classes, and maybe even bow classes, a defense increase is practically useless on a wand class.
Suggestions:
Buff the damage of the ability. Then, either make it a katana class, or instead of adding defense, have the ability add atk. Personally, I like it as a katana class better because the ability is likely to be much more powerful at close ranges then it is as far ranges and it personally doesn’t make sense to but a melee ability on a ranged class.

Hm. Good point.
I do want to keep it as a wand class though, since we just got the Samurai and Wands have been underused for a very long time.
Im defenitely going to look into buffing the candles damage output, but I’m not sure about the passive bonuses. the point was to give the tiered candles both offensive and defensive capabilities.

Maybe a hp increase instead of def? (Excessive )Def is kinda useless on ranged classes.

Robe classes have the lowest DEF of all though, so extra def would be more useful to them than to sword class.

No. beacuse they have range

Then Health wouldn’t be useful either, since they have range :thinking:

No… The idea is that because they are ranged, they take very few shots. When you take a small amount of shots, hp>def. Def only becomes useful when you have to take shots

I mean, I guess? I’m not sure though. I’ll think this over.

Just btw, I really like the idea. I only comment if I think the idea has future or if I think it’s absolutely retarded and this one definitely has hope.

Maybe have it spawn wisps until Max every 0.1 or 0.2 seconds of holding the key and giving the def boost (like Shuriken) but on release fires. So if I only pressed and released very quickly, it would just fire 1 wisp. Also make the boost a bit better, right now the boost isn’t all that noticeable(yay 10 more def so much difference)

Amazing, top-notch sprites and a super fun concept. I can’t comment on the balance but that’s probably the least important thing, since values can easily be altered.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.