The Samurai

This was my Samurai Idea from the previous forums, I was looking for feedback to improve it.

Ignoring my poor cropping skills, these are concept sprites, and any feedback/alternatives would be greatly appreciated.
The Samurai is a heavy-armor class that uses katanas and masks. Masks inflict Slow, and higher tiers inflict Daze as an extra effect.

The Samurai has the HP and MP stats of the other 3 heavy armor classes. Its maximum Attack is less than a Warrior, but more than a Knight and a Paladin to make up for the less damage that a katana deals. The Samurai deals less damage than a Ninja, with less Dexterity and less Attack, swapping offense for defense, basically a more defensive Ninja. The Samurai have lower maximum Vitality than Warriors and Knights because of their longer range. Samurai have the same maximum Wisdom as Warriors and Knights to effectively use masks, but to not over abuse. All masks have a cool down of 1 second longer than the longest duration of inflicted effects.

These sprites are not mine, but were drawn for me by some one I unfortunately can not remember, but thank you any way.
NB: The T5 Mask of Demons description should read “drawn from the guise of abyss-dwellers”

The masks would drop where normal tiered abilities drop from, and the UT mask could potentially be a new event boss based on Mayans, e.g. a temple setting, or from the Ghost Ship, modifying its description accordingly.

Any advice/tips on improving it would be appreciated thanks.

New Class Idea - Samurai
Samurai (SPRITES IN PROGRESS) by JudgeBOZ
Samuria (Title Used ;()

I see this class as a speedy but less tanky knight, considering he wears heavy armour and the masks give decent defense bonuses.

I’ve seen the samurai idea several times on this forum and this one seems to be the best presented/organised and thought out (good use of tables btw! makes it easy to read).

As for the sprite, it’s not bad but seems too similar to the paladin’s holy avenger skin minus the cape. As a personal preference I like this set of sprites more (seems more…samurai-y to me).

Honestly the only thing I would change is nerfing the UT for the sole reason that this class is just a better knight. I would suggest reducing stun duration or just really ramping up the MP cost.

The description for your T6 mask is really good, but not suited for a tiered ability. In fact I think that considering “the mad god himself hides from it’s gaze”, that desc. should be for an UT :P

Looks good.

Probably too much defence for how much range a katana gives you just sayin.

I agree; the katana gives you range and piercing, but in the hands of a melee, which this effectively is, it is much too OP.

Also daze is an incredibly rare status effect, rightly so as it renders a wide range of bosses easier if not trivial. It also has a cost; Archers who use QOT not only have a cooldown but lose slow/paralyse and piercing. Having it available with no cost/penalty, on a class’s T5 and T6 abilties, would make it suddenly commonplace and game-breaking.

People who dont like to use this forum, why?

FINALLY! Someone who gets this! DAZE is not something to be trifled with. I can’t fathom why people keep suggesting commonplace items with this massively overpowered effect. stahp pls, ur hurtin muh head. Take the daze off.

As for the class itself, it’s not a bad idea, but the ability lacks originality somewhat. (to me, at least) For all intents and purposes, the ability is a shield that inflicts slow instead of stun. While not useless, it definitely sounds a lot like a UT shield that hasn’t been made yet.

People who dont like to use this forum, why?

This Class could rush the most difficult dungeons with ease. Its DPS is rather low though so I expect it would be a good support class

The masks slow in all directions, a niche now filled by the Seal of the Enchanted Forest it seems, the original idea was created before the release of STs. Also, Daze, while very powerful, is rendered obsolete when facing stunnable enemies. The idea of this item is that when faced with a mob of enemies, an ability use would allow for greater survivability, while against non-stunnable bosses the range of the mask would make QoT a better option unless exceptionally skilled with masks. I have considered alterations, which can be seen below in response to Skandling.

QoT dazes for 4 seconds at a rather high MP cost. As always, all feedback can be good feedback, and this is such. Looking back, a range of 3 for 3 seconds even on the T4 does seem too much. The idea of Daze being a more commonly used ability would indeed border on game breaking. The range and duration of the daze should be decreased, perhaps by 1 second/1 range on each tier? The possible alterations to the UT are below in response to Stuartcat.

Quite a fair point, it does have a maximum defence similar to a warrior, but the reduction in DPS compared to a ninja was a trade I thought would be alright.

[quote=“Stuartcat, post:2, topic:1369”]
I’ve seen the samurai idea several times on this forum and this one seems to be the best presented/organised and thought out (good use of tables btw! makes it easy to read).[/quote]
The table idea was taken from the Realmeye Wiki, with the neatness and simplicity.

Quite agreed, it was a far while ago when I made the sprite, and it does look a lot like a paladin. However, IMO, the sprites you prefer have a massive head and a skinny body and look slightly unproportional, but point taken.

[quote]Honestly the only thing I would change is nerfing the UT for the sole reason that this class is just a better knight. I would suggest reducing stun duration or just really ramping up the MP cost. [/quote]Perhaps a stun duration of 1.5 seconds, and paralysed for 2?

[quote]The description for your T6 mask is really good, but not suited for a tiered ability. In fact I think that considering “the mad god himself hides from it’s gaze”, that desc. should be for an UT :P[/quote] Having read the lore for other tiered items, I plan on updating these all to better suit the writing style. It does seem to make it too strong though.

About my def comment I still think a heavy class with katana could work. Maybe have the stats on abilities go towards a different stat?

That would make a bit more sense for a katana class, with only armours and rings being sources of defence. Apart from vitality (or even HP) perhaps, I’m not sure what else a mask would contribute to.

I love the idea of samurai for a new class, but I hate the idea of just slowing for the mask. If anyone has any better ideas for slow, this would be a perfect class to add. By the way, the daze/stun/paralyze shouldn’t be an option for ability. I think maybe Deca could add in some kind of new ability for Samurai.

I don’t like the skill… and the MP Cost… T0 is too op… With that mp, you can spam it… When you have a level 70+ Mp heal … nope xD

I personally don’t think you should touch the Daze effect. Daze is worst than a stun, and personally, I feel that the Knight should have never received the ability to stun in the first place. They should have dazed instead for four seconds. (And make the QoT Stun for 3s.)

I also suggest having daze only on the T5 and T6 mask as it makes more sense. (Inflicting two status effects that immobilize the opponent on a T4 seems a bit too much.)

I wouldn’t say it would be perfect at that point, but the only way to know how balanced something really is is to actually play it.

Nice looks

Thanks for all the feedback, I’m a little bit busy at the moment, but I will try and make time to respond to everyone!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.