Threads Not Closing?

I just saw a thread from May that wasn’t closed. I get that there have been posts about this but why do some threads close and others don’t?

depends on where the thread is made.
for instance, threads made in the [redacted] never close, while threads made in the wine cellar close in 1 day.
moving a thread to a different category doesn’t change the amount of time it take to close (if a game feedback thread is wced then it will still close in the same amount of time as if it wasn’t).

we don’t mention the secret secret outside of it
think of it like fight club
(the one regs get)

Some of the old posts have a 6 month closing date after the last reply, whereas more recent ones only have 2 months. So if that post in may was made then it must’ve been before they changed the thread settings.

I don’t know why, but I think I remember some threads from a few months back that were being necrobumped after over a year of inactivity. Sometimes the system closes a thread early (and is usually re-opened by a mod soon after). It lacks consistency.

At the bottom of a thread there is a little notice that normally says “this topic will close 60 days after the last reply”.
Apparantly the default value of 60 days can be changed for a category and was changed multple times.

I know for really old threads, some don’t close because they were made after topics autoclosed. But Mynam’s answer probably explains the phenomenon you saw.

It’ll usually (maybe always?) be due to some intervention that’s gone on with moving the topic/etc.

The default timer settings have been altered over time, and some categories had no timer at first, so if a topic was posted in there, then moved out, it wouldn’t gain a timer unless manually added.

It’s also true that if a topic has closed & then is reopened, it won’t have a timer unless one is readded manually which the reopener sometimes overlooks.

Some topics have had their timer manually cancelled (rarely) upon request to stop them from auto-closing. I’ve done this on some long-lasting ‘megathread’ topics (eg “What Does A Star Mean To You”, "This Needs to Stop [stacked events]) when it’s the type of discussion that if it auto-closed, someone would only post a replacement topic; and it’s easier to merge if the original topic doesn’t also need reopening.

Just found this great example of an old thread: Tips For Successful Mystic PPE?

Only took 2 years to close!

hey thats nice. at least My thread in there is still open.

im actually really curious @regulars is it being used “General Chat Thread”

maybe. although ill probably go inactive in like 3 days. so rip that.

Yes. :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe it’s waiting for you to return.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.