Tinkerer Quest Revamp

Copying this over from my reddit post to archive: https://www.reddit.com/r/RotMG/comments/12brmeq/tinkerer_quest_revamp/

It’s pretty evident that the introduction of seasonal character missions helped the general enjoyment and gameplay of RotMG. It is a way to experience the game while challenging you as you progress and rewarding you for it. It just makes it more apparent how the marks system sucks and needs a reworking. I have created infographics to describe some changes that I think could benefit players as a whole. Quests have been (in my opinion) balanced to reflect a better return on time-investment while encouraging exploration. I have also only mentioned quests that I think should be reworked, all the ones omitted I believed were fine (mainly mighty and epic quests).

Once Per Account Quests:

You have to understand first that marks are meant to take up space so people feel inclined to purchase vault and character unlockers. I don’t think that will change at any point of the game. DECA has been more generous in giving options to gain more available space, but only during certain events or for a limited time.

I think implementing a series of quests that help expand some space will help get players further engaged into the game. These quests would be available to all players and would only be able to be completed once as the name suggests. Ultimately it requires players to basically complete every dungeon (excluding MV, this idea was made before its release) in the game and experience the variety the game has to offer.

This would essentially be an achievement for players, especially new ones, to progress throughout the game.

An issue that I can see people claim is the limited space available as characters can only hold 8 slots without a backpack, though I address this problem further below.

The following quests are reworked to address the inherent flaws in the current mark quests.

Beginner Quests:

These were generally unrewarding to ever complete, mostly for newer players. The item management especially at the early game should not be as punishing as it currently is, having players pick up as many items as possible to try and learn the value should be the main focus at this stage. It seems more burdensome to have players grind through 4 of these dungeons taking up over half their inventory, for then in return to receive items that are found starting around the midlands. Players will eventually just ignore these quests as they’re a huge waste of time. My suggestion is to shorten the requirement down to 2 marks thus lowering the item burden and rewarding for their time investment while beginning to teach players about the questing system.

Standard Quests:

Similar to the beginner quests the mark requirement for each quests were too high and the not reflect the time investment. The mighty quests have a perfect mark requirement of 4, which only requires someone to sacrifice half their initial inventory space to collect.

Special Standard Quests:

“Special” variety of quests would be the other available quests to complement the normal quests (which only give a quest chest). Since the tinkerer makes 2 standard and mighty quests available, he would now instead provide 1 standard + 1 special standard and 1 mighty + 1 special mighty quests per day.

I believe that these rewards provide more of a variety of items to players. They’re not that great but are a little extra reward than their “normal quest” counterparts.

An issue I can see is that nildrops may be too valuable as a reward and can see a case where minor nildrops should be the reward instead, ultimately this would be up to DECA themselves.

A controversial opinion I also believe is that The Effigy quest reward should lowered and reward a standard quest chest instead of a mighty.

Special Mighty Quests:

Similar to the effect of the special standard quests, these would also provide an extra reward to their normal quest counterparts.

Also the Lost and Found quest will help address a long standing problem of getting access to backpacks. This quest would require doing dungeons that often are ignored in the realm thus hopefully incentivizing more players to participate.

The glacier cache and buried treasure are basically the same items.

Epic Quests:

The O3 chest would have a lower drop rate of sanctuary whites but a higher drop rate for T7 abilities. Possibly also a similar quest for Kistune Umi as well.

In short, I really think these changes will help benefit the game overall. The mission system really showed that quests can help make the game more fun. They just need to be essentially shortened and better reflect the time it takes to complete the quest. But most importantly, there should also be a more consistent way to obtain backpacks.
Feel free to share your thoughts or comments below.

I don’t agree with Oryx’s Sanctuary having a quest since it’s supposed to be the final dungeon and has some of the best loot in the game. Being able to farm quest chests and easily get the very best tiered gear in the game would feel wrong. The Shatters does drop T15 Armors and T14 sub-type weapons, but Armors are very broad and sub-type weapons are niche-specific. Plus, The Shatters is already very hard.

These are great ideas! I think there are two other approaches that might work equally well to solve the same problem:

• Make marks stackable; even just 2 or 3 per stack would do wonders.
  • Add a mark filing cabinet to the vault, like they’ve done for potions. Like the potion vault, it would only store marks and store more of them per expansion than regular items.

Yeah I could agree with that. It was mainly to appease the people that wanted one. Since we don’t have another source of T6 abilities I would argue there is a point to have this chest. Though idk I don’t play enough to consistently be able to do O3s.

Unfortunately bro I don’t think that will ever happen. It’s such a requested feature it would’ve been in the game by now. I also don’t think they would ever remove marks caused they’re tied to another feature being the forge and stacks would people cause more problems there. It’s just more evidence that they are meant to take up space. Like when they were first introduced people stated it was because there was no real way to track if you actually killed a boss/mob (which may have been so at the time) but with the missions system we can see that it’s actually possible. Honestly I think marks are here to stay and the main purpose of my idea was just to make them more practical.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.