Tomb Rework Concept

Hi! I was bored and noticed a discussion on the potential of a rework for the Tomb of the Ancients going on in the official RotMG discord. I had a random idea and ran with it, here’s what I came up with:

This idea for the Tomb turns it into more of a set-map dungeon similar to the Cave of a Thousand Treasures, Oryx’s Sanctuary, and The Shatters. I didn’t intend to make it as difficult as O3 or Shatters, necessarily. There is still room for variation within some of the rooms, so each run of the dungeon can be somewhat different.

The first room is the entrance. At the bottom of the map (or maybe Deca would choose to make it go from left to right, who knows), players spawn in here, as will a Portal of Cowardice. A simple room, dimly lit with torches, and some neat hieroglyphics on the walls. Maybe a crumbled pillar or two.

At the top of the room is a destructible sandstone wall. Players will break through it to access The Antechamber, a large empty room with a single pedestal in the center, yielding a large, bright crystal.

The Antechamber is the Tomb’s defense mechanism, designed by Bes the Protector. If the crystal in the center were removed or destroyed, the room would collapse, keeping any would-be Tomb Robbers trapped inside.

Shooting the crystal will begin to break it. This starts a gauntlet similar to the Tablets room of the Shatters, as the room around begins to crumble, disturbing the enemies slumbering in the walls.

There are snakes that throw damaging bombs and shoot bullets that inflict Bleed; swarms of Scarabs (similar to the existing scarabs in current Tomb) that try to sit on players and inflict paralysis; and Scorpions that will aggressively lunge at players firing small bullets that inflict Armor Break, and a large, high-damage single Pincer bullet.

All the while as the room is “crumbling”, stones will fall from the ceiling with a red indicator circle showing when they will land. These inflict moderate armor-piercing damage, similar to the Holy Beams in O3 or the Crushers in Steamworks, though not as deadly. These will also daze players hit by them. Additionally, they leave behind patches of Quicksand, which gradually slow players that walk through (just like in the current Tomb).

Players must continue to shoot at the crystal to get it to fully shatter. Once it does, all remaining enemies will de-spawn, the quicksand on the floor will turn into regular sand, and the door to the next room will crumble away, leading players into The Gardens.

The Gardens were the cultivation of Nut’s healing magic. Fountains brought forth healing water, nourishing the plant and animal life around it. Once Nut fell dormant, the fountains became corrupted, and its influence can best be seen by the aggressive change in nature of the flora and fauna now found here.

The Gardens have become overgrown, the fountains of water have crumbled and their waters now spill forth in rivers across the narrow, winding path through the room. Once a boon, the waters now Sicken players that stand within (similar to the Toxic Sewers).

There is a fixed path that leads to the end of the room, but there are also hidden paths blocked off by destructible plants (similar to the destructible walls in the Parasite Chambers). These paths can lead to un-corrupted Healing Fountains, hidden Treasure Sarcophagi, or an ambush of Corrupted Jackals that have found their home in the gardens. Along the main path, there are stationary, corrupted plant enemies that fire a variety of shots at players, inflicting status effects such as Slow, Silence, and Curse.

The intention of the Gardens is to keep the spirit of the original Tomb being a dungeon that can be rushed. Players could clear together, or a single player could rush from the beginning to the end and allow all other players to teleport, skipping a significant portion of the dungeon.

At the end of the Gardens is another sandstone wall. Destroying it will lead into the final chamber.

As time passed, the gods Bes, Geb, and Nut were slowly forgotten and abandoned by most worshippers. Angered by this betrayal, the trio became wrathful. To prevent the old gods from clashing with the new, their former acolytes now perform inhibition ceremonies on a sarcophagus, trapping them in the sands of time. (This is the Realm Eye’s description of the gods, modified for your reading cohesion.)

In the final chamber, Bes, Geb, and Nut lie dormant in stasis, seated at the north end of the room. In the center is a single Sarcophagus, surrounded by four acolytes who are busy performing their ritual to keep the gods at bay. They will activate one at a time to attack the players as a sort of mini-boss fight, and once all four are defeated, the players can attack and destroy the central Sarcophagus to awaken the gods and begin the main boss fight.

(In the graphic I showed at the start of this post, I got lazy and simply denoted the enemies by the first letter of their names; B is Bes, G is Geb, N is Nut, P is Priest, S is Sarcophagus, and the circles with X’s inside are pillars).

Anyways, this is all I have so far, but if it gets good reception I could maybe work on the enemy designs, boss fight, etc. What do you guys think?

I think that this is a unique take on the dungeon that could also fit its difficulty if executed properly. Balanced HP scaling for the crystal in the first area is a priority if you want to keep players engaged while not boring them or making it feel like a nothing room. Second room could be maybe the length of three normal tomb rooms. I actually think that randomization could be useful for the second room, where you could have multiple branching paths with unclear ends until you actually reach them. It should be shorter than the original tomb since length is one of its current issues, but its enemies should also be difficult enough so that they’re a challenge.

I think that second room has potential for things besides simply clearing or rushing to the boss. You mentioned t-rooms and healing fountains, so maybe some paths could have those along the way, therefore encouraging exploration and rewarding players with chances are extra loot or more potions. I’m worried that there’ll be no time to explore if someone rushes ahead and activates the bosses early, but that could also be fixed by having the priests be somewhat of a bottleneck that takes a few minutes to clear.

Boss room also has a lot of potential beyond its pillars, which could act as natural recovering areas just like regular tomb. Sand definitely needs to be used better in the fight, like with way fewer spots where the sand can actually slow you down. Maybe have the bosses use the sand around them and leave behind trails of quicksand that reseal themselves, making it harder to follow them for easy shots while not ending up with a Mammoth Megamoth pre-wlab rework. And of course, please just don’t make the bosses move at three tiles per hour while literally firing a bajillion different high-damage shotguns and call it a day.

Tomb is in desperate need of a rework. Not to the extent of just making it another endgame dungeon, but something that cuts down on its unnecessary length and makes it more rewarding to go through. I think the ideas that you have here are mostly solid, and could be really promising if tweaked a bit.

I like the tomb as it is. Did one earlier today with 12 or so others, rushed all 5 sarcs myself then joined in the boss free for all. Wasn’t timing it but the whole thing probably took not much more than five minutes, not bad for the 2 life I got.

The maze of rooms is one of the best features. No other dungeon is like it, with the start room also being the final room, with each room being large and potentially a fight all on its own, with things that can slow you, paralyse you, break your armour, and do a lot of damage while under those effects. Sarc rooms are perhaps a bit dull, but they offer a respite from however you got there, and let weaker players join in, perhaps get loot.

It is unbalanced with the bosses subject to all the status effects – if you want to paralyse them, stun them, stasis them they’ve no immunities. But that’s a lot of the attraction of it, that it can be tackled in a variety of ways especially with a small group. It’s still relatively tricky to solo for most classes, but one of the fastest ways to collect a guaranteed 3 life pots if you’re up for it.

I agree with Skandling that the current tomb has a charm that can’t quite be replicated, it’s as old as rotmg and feels fun IF more than 2 people go in. However I also love your dungeon design, thematically and mechanically. I like the spirit of the breakable wall like in the original epic pirate cave, I like the garden rush potential which could have an adrenaline boosting wall break similar to crawling depths at the moment when you’re never sure if you get armour broken and will have to nexus.

The garden theme would provide a nice refresh from the sand design.

What about this as an “advanced Tomb?”

Although it has its own old dungeon design charm, it’s still incredibly flawed in many ways. The loot, specifically its potions, just isn’t worth it compared to the current economy and especially with streamlined the maxing process is going to be later on. Simply boosting the loot wouldn’t help; the dungeon needs to be at least a little shorter and not as tedious to go through. The second room for this rework idea can offer a more condensed form of the current design of exploring dangerous areas with hazards and enemies. I think that it’d be the right call to maintain the classic dungeon clearing design, but reduce it and add in a couple other things to keep the dungeon interesting. Trudging through and clearing the dungeon normally as intended is boring and takes way too long, and while rushing is always a viable strategy, it shouldn’t be used as an excuse to negate padding for length.

I’m not saying remove the spirit of tomb entirely, but it has to be cut down for its own sake so that it isn’t boring, along with adding new things like the gauntlet in the first room and a reworked boss fight. Just like how pot farming is going to be shortened for our convenience, the dungeon needs to be shortened. However, they both also need something new and fresh to fill in those new holes, and I think that both the first room and the boss fight could do well for that.

The only Exaltation dungeon I can solo is Cult and that drops life and mana but I don’t think there’s a guarantee like Tomb. Tomb is much quicker to solo, at least for me – 2 or 3 times as fast. So it’s probably the quickest way to get life if need them. With a group it’s much more variable but still quicker, though you don’t have a guarantee of drops then.

As noted I did one today with a dozen or so other players, which is a pretty good number for a dungeon spawned from an event. Clearly all of them thought it worth it – in fact they seemed mostly there for the loot as they were no help rushing the rooms.

Could it be improved? Sure. It’s one of the plainest dungeons there is now. There’s nothing wrong with it being a mix of sand and sand-coloured rock, but Ancient Ruins shows you can have the same mechanics and colour schemes with much more variety. Large rooms are good, letting you tackle them in a variety of ways (dodge, rush past, draw enemies, kill everything) but they don’t all need to be the same shape. The ways they are connected could vary more, including by smaller rooms with unique designs. There could be additional minion types or patterns of behaviours, and they could perhaps drop more than just HP and MP pots rewarding those who clear.

The current Tomb has its charms, there’s technically nothing incredibly wrong with it… but just like other pre-reconstructed dungeons (Sprite world, ddocks, wlab, cdepths, etc) it no longer fits the current visual theme or gameplay polish of modern dungeons and is due for an update. Whether that’s just re-spriting the enemies or a full rework is up to Deca to decide if and when they get around to it.

I will say that I never found the tomb boss fight to be interesting, let alone pleasant. Putting aside the visual vomit that is their shot sprites, the patterns are neither predictable nor forgiving. I can only imagine how awful it is to be short-ranged doing that dungeon, because I never step foot in it except on a ranged class.

I’m sure there is a way to rework the tomb while keeping its maze-like charm, but my design was envisioning something much more grand and befitting of characters that were once so significant in the game’s lore.

It’s one of the most interesting in the game. You have three bosses all of which go through their phases independently as they’re damaged, so you can easily take them on one at a time which greatly reduces the chaos, makes things much more manageable. Which order you do them in is up to you, and there’s no obvious “right” way.

Of course that only happens when soloing or when a group is able to coordinate things. But almost every group now seems to have someone who goes free for all from the start. Then you have to decide whether to still focus on one or just take them all on and deal with them in whichever order they present themselves. With all the variability and their many phases two fights are rarely the same once it goes FFA.

Although it could be shorter, I’ve had similar experiences to @Skandling where you are in and out in a 5 minute adventure.

But yes, something could / should change about the dungeon because no-one runs them anymore and it is kind of useless to have a dungeon that nobody does. If you are a new player just getting used to farming life pots and are faced with trying to solo or run this dungeon with 2 or 3 people who pop in out of curiosity it’s no fun. The group runs are fun but need a bit of an incentive over just ‘let’s do it for fun’.

Not very helpful feedback for OP. Can you be more specific about what in your opinion could be improved? OP has just submitted a rough sketch of the dungeon rather than any actual sprites they have worked on

hi-atus

cool but i think it needs the pharaohs curse

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.