What do you see? Why are you here?

#Ripzlushy2k17

Also yeah I agree with every thing you said. As for why you come back. Come back if you actually want to use the forums.

Totally agree with attraper, as I have said in the re discord along time ago multiple times, the quality of the fourms decreased since the xmass give away which brought in an influx of forumers. As the quantity of post increased, the quality went down ( I know itā€™s kinda weird coming form a guy whose majority of posts are in fourm games).

Also the tolerance of the forumers decreased exponentially during oryxyetti/kamahamaha

(Donā€™t apologise shatter)

Im surprised you read that text wall.

But dont worry, something about the forum appeals to me.

I see a big text

Thank you for that. I believe it was very well thought out for a ramble. Now for my own ramble:

The way I see this forum (actually any forum) boils down to this. We are actual people having a massive, never-ending social interaction. There are the high-level individuals as well as the low level ones. In my opinion, everyone should approach this forum with the idea of bettering him or herself as a person. By this, I mean being courteous of others, thinking before saying something, things of that matter. If everyone makes an effort to do this, the quality of the forum will go up.

But it starts with the ā€œelderā€ forumers setting a good example, like posting things like you and @Xaklor just did. When you created your thread about what was happening to the quality of the forums, I immediately stated that I thought it was just because of the new and inexperienced people. But then you said this:[quote=ā€œScorchmist, post:21, topic:7962ā€]
So, i just read through some random threads, but i had noticed an overwhelming amount of flagged posts. Some might say that its these ā€œnew usersā€. But lots of the times new users follow the atmosphere created by current users (not always), but also some of the older users become restless, they generally didnā€™t say anything because they didnt want flags.
[/quote]

This is absolutely correct. We need the older users to step up and show the younger ones how to behave on here. And this applies to pretty much anything outside the forums too, like a sports team or something. Of course, there will be those few who absolutely refuse to listen to reason and change their ways (i.e. Zlushy) but those few can be banned.

My main point is this: I believe we can improve the quality of this forum and our own personalities if we all just make a conscious effort to do so. But some people are better at that than others, and itā€™s up to those people to show the other people how to behave. I think, Scorchmist, that is why a lot of people want you to stay here, or at least thatā€™s why I want you to.

By being good examples or do you want me to go out of my way to teach people how to be polite? If itā€™s the former, I agree. But if itā€™s the latter, I canā€™t change people, you know. And trying to change them would only make things worse. The will to change and be better forumers has to come from them. All I can do is not interact with them whenever theyā€™re not being polite, and I already do that.

Yes, I meant mainly by being a good example. Howeverā€¦

I mostly agree with this. Yes, people will be themselves, for better or for worse. But I feel like a good number of new people on here look at the regulars and those who are considered to be more well-known in this community and want to be like them. That is how setting a good is example (again making well thought out posts, being polite, etc.) is a great way to help the newbies out here. But I donā€™t think itā€™s a terrible idea to call one of them out when he or she is clearly stepping out of line. (Like Shatter tried with Zlushy.) Now Iā€™m not saying you should be overly angry or snap at them, but you could just remind them of the rules of the forum and encourage them to make a better choice in the future. Also, we have a group of good moderators who already do this.

And that is fine. Iā€™ve read many of your posts since joining this forum, and I consider you to be one of the higher caliber members here. Everyone leads in his or her own way, and this is yours. You are doing your part to help keep the forum a good place to interact.

Stop it, you.

I actually wanna know what other people think of this. @everyone, do you think itā€™s a good idea to call people out when theyā€™re going too far? What else should be done?

If you think someone is going to far, you should tell him, if theres any chance that he will change his behavior.

Thatā€™s the thing: do you really think they could change their behaviour if they already went too far? Telling them theyā€™re not being nice by this point might aswell make him even more disrespectful.

I donā€™t know, maybe thatā€™s just me.

It might work for some people, if they dont listen you can still do other stuff.

itā€™s more frequently not about what it is that people are saying, but rather how they say it.

therefore, If someone does pass the line, what matters more is how you approach the situation, not whether or not you approach at all. I definitely think you should do something if it goes too far, but be careful about how you say it. sometimes flagging and moving on is a good option, but thereā€™s people who donā€™t care about that (youā€™d think 50+ flags would get spinatkā€™s attention but apparently it didnā€™t), so verbal confrontation might be more effective. but you have to make sure youā€™re saying it in a way that actually helps instead of fueling the flames.

thatā€™s what I think, at least.

it really depends, i used to do it more, but now day its too much of a hassle.

If its inappropriate things like having 90% of your words in a phrase to be swear words, iā€™ll just let it pass usually since its usually not directly offending anyone. But if it goes to realms of direct/semi-direct attacks i would intervene, also depends who they are talking to, if they are talking to RMGnoob or Xaklor, there is no need.

flagging is the option i use more times when i actually when to attack the person, like not wanting them to get reg, sometimes, flags arent needed and a friendly reminder could work. Although, if im lazy i just flag.

Are you guys trying to say I shouldint be telling people they should have never came out of a hole?

If I see some one as harmful to the community here (and yes me personally being done with them) then I will attempt to deal with it in my own way. Now my way is no where near as professional as doc/ob/stu/xaklor/ but hey we need different ways for when the proper way does nothing.

yeah Iā€™m talking about myself being a heartless dick

Hopefully that doesnā€™t come off as back seat modding. Not the intention

not quite the same thing. if that came out of the blue, yeah Iā€™d tell you to calm down and shut up. but if thatā€™s what it takes to get someone to notice their behavior is annoying as hell then thatā€™s what it takes.

I see a waste of time. The me before the xmas giveaway would punch me pretty hard for saying that.
A lot of content on the forums is wasted effort. Then again, hobbies are not always productive.

I stepped out of the picture a bit to focus on improving myself in the real world. My family sits below the poverty line, the only reason I have some nice things is because my father cares enough about me to afford it. My parents are divorced and I live with my mother, hopefully that info paints the picture a bit clearer.
I wouldnā€™t have a very successful future if I didnā€™t work hard in school to get scholarships to even begin to afford college. This of course means less time for personal interests, such as the forums, gaming, or even writing.

I donā€™t like sharing about my personal life online, but it has a huge impact on what I can do online.

Anyway, as for why I am still hereā€¦ Well, Iā€™ve pretty much abandoned RotMG, I certainly still love the game, but Iā€™ve moved on.
So you guys, the friends and people Iā€™ve met with similar interests is why Iā€™m still here. Iā€™m not always able to hang out with my real friends since I live in the middle of no where, so this is a great replacement.
Some of ya probably wonā€™t like the word ā€œreplacementā€, but itā€™s the truth.

That doesnā€™t change the fact that I do care about ya even if I donā€™t have the time to show it anymore.

And I appreciate it.

Iā€™ve said it somewhere before, but I think itā€™s important for us to deal with problems of the forums in our own way, as long as our end goal is the same. I would never tell someone that they should have never came out of a hole, mainly because that probably wonā€™t make him/her get back to his/her hole anyway. But who knows, maybe itā€™s enough to make that person at least get off our own collective holes.

@moderators your thoughts on this topic?

Includes this thread too Increasing Agression

I see a lot of potential.

Shall we have story time with uncle stu? This time with a small insight behind the Stupidity?

A long time agoā€¦well, it feels like a long time ago. Itā€™s been just shy of 20 years now. For some of you that is a ā€œvery long timeā€ but in the grand scheme of things it is not so longā€¦not as long ago as @OtherBillā€™s mention of Usenet groups.

In any case, some time ago I was a part of an online forum built around a video game. That video game was not completely groundbreaking - many of the concepts had been used by other games, many elements of the design were tropes lifted directly from related literature and parallel entertainment, and the genre itself had already experienced a ā€œgolden eraā€. However, there were a few key elements that made the game powerful in its own day, and now recognized by some as a significant contributor to the history of gaming. First, many design choices were made around simplicity and intuitiveness (which not everyone was doing right in gaming then, and many are not doing right now!). This made the game very easy to understand on the basic level, and the developers did everything they could to make immersion immediate and meaningful. Within a few clicks, you could be completely engaged. Second, although the game was simple and intuitive, it was not shallow. It was what I would call elegant. Powerful and deep, but with only what was needed instead of burdened with fluff and flash. And finally, the game did a phenomenal job for its era at creating online interaction. Multiplayer was not a well fleshed out thing in the late 90s, but this game really pushed the bar forward.

Anyway, I was a part of this forum built around That Game. It may be a nostalgia thing for me, but these are some of my fondest memories of life as a player of video games. I was completely blown away that people with real world knowledge (math, physics, sociology, psychology, programming) were applying that wealth of understanding to a video game I was playing in a way that I could understand and benefit. There was a thriving mod community (another thing that was not original to That Game, but which flourished in an unprecedented way around That Game), which made the interactions we were having feel all the more weighty because we could actually see ideas come to life. We thought about the intricacies of the way That Game worked so much that many people felt there was nothing left to explore, but still somehow the conversations continued.

Realm caught me because it has some of those basic elements that I enjoy so much: elegant simplicity, multiplayer, depth. I love this game because of the design restrictions, the creativity that has to be employed within those choices, and the simple fun of pewpewpewing. For me, it gets the concept of casual gaming in a way that the entire casual gaming industry misses. ā€œCasualā€ gaming has come to mean games (usually with limited depth) easily accessible by non-gamers, but really I think that particular aspect of game development is just the natural application of long tail economics to the gaming industry. There is nothing special or revolutionary about dumbing down a game, and I think game developers have completely missed the mark on the entire concept but are too blind to see it because of the laser-like optimization that has occurred in monetization. ā€œCasualā€ gaming, in my mind, has always been about letting players engage with minimum barriers - and then making it easy to reengage again and again without penalties or new barriers popping up. Of course, not everything about realm holds to this ideal (and itā€™s much worse now than when I first played). But it scratched that itch for me, and I continue to see it as a game with amazing potential.

I have been a part of several gaming communities since That Game. Some have been good, some have been bad. But I guess I am here because that experience was wonderful for me. To some degree, I want to have it again but I know I can never go back and be that person. But I see the potential in this community, and I still hope to have something like it. And maybeā€¦maybe this can be the place for other people to have that magical experience I had. It might be a long shot, but I think itā€™s worth it.

In any case, I think thatā€™s why Iā€™m here.

RealmEye Forums Moderator AMA [Request]

I get the feeling you donā€™t want to say what was That Game, but Iā€™ll ask anyway: what game was it?