What's so good about campaign? Why does the game itself (not Deca) benefit from it?

What I’ve heard about Unity is that it’s pretty simple to use and there’s a whole catalogue of assets you can just buy right away instead of making them yourself, and as such it’s one of the favored engines for newbie game developers.

That’s not to say it’s garbage or that you can’t make good games with it. Ori and the Blind Forest was made on Unity, as an example. But it’s not some arcane shit that takes years to create anything, especially when we’re talking about porting an already pre-existing game that has always been simplistic by design.

As I’ve already said in another thread, that’s my biggest gripe with this project: we don’t know how much money they need and we don’t have a breakdown of the exact things they’ll buy with it.

Kind of off-topic but, yes, there absolutely is: some STs are garbage and have no real function outside of completing the set, while others range from niche usefulness to very powerful.

This isn’t a fundraiser for a charitable organization, this is a fundraiser for a very specific project. Anyone competent would have defined exactly what needs to be done, what kind of resources they’ll need for it (in terms of new hires, hardware, etc, …) as well as at least a rough timeline of how it should go before starting the project or asking for funding.

And then if they want to give incentives for people to donate more, they can try to define stretch goals.

(side note about RotMG on console: Unity is compatible with every major console on the market, so it’s not like they’d have to rewrite the entire game on a different engine just to get a console port. My guess is the problems would come from negotiating with the companies that own those consoles, discussions on licensing rights, stuff like that).

Isn’t RotMG borrowing server space from Google, not Amazon?

That’s assuming we all get to keep all our stuff on Unity and it’s not a fresh start for everyone.

That’s another thing with this fundraiser: you guys do realize there have been no official guarantees your perks will transfer over to the Unity version (except of course for having your name on the wall of fame), right?

Correlation isn’t causation. Sometimes an asshole isn’t secretly a genius. Sometimes an asshole is just an asshole.

This is a “misconception”. I know they call it a campaign/fundraiser but it’s not like Deca doesn’t have enough money for the project without it. They’re just monetizing our expectation of a future unity client

But it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t support the campaign because the porting will happen no matter what. The money it raises the better client (and server) we can expect.

Deca switched to AWS (but I believe the “loading screen” is still handled by Google)

They confirmed it in the newsletter (read replies). It would be semi-suicidal otherwise anyway…

It fits in with actual laws too if I remember correctly, anything listed as a donation isn’t taxed and is used directly for the purpose that is advertised.

They talked about those, they set them too high and had to reduce them, would you rather they keep them the same and everyone get like 10 ogmurs?

It made for a fun event.

source? I don’t remember them saying it wouldn’t ever happen again.

Large boost on the player engagement too, maybe they had a point.

They still allowed for a ton of new dungeons to be added, more than Kabam did, and they’re still working on content along with the UGC.

Why do people think having a UGC team makes Deca bad or lazy? they still have to authorize everything and it allows for a much greater amount of content to be produced, it also allows for long time players to haev a say in what happens to the game.

Im not saying other companies are useless or anything Im just stating that in my opinion Deca has been the best for the game so far, WS might have made the game, and yes they’re really important for the game to have existed, but that doesn’t make them better than every other company to own the game.

Notice I use ‘better’ not ‘more important’, although Deca is still quite important as the game would be completely dead by now if they didnt take it over.

also, you ignored this

What misgivings could you have about that? please share. They’ve provided proof that it’s in production and even shown us features that may be added.

there ya go.

This, this is it chief.

Everyone always bashes how many skins are created and im just sitting here hoarding them because I love them so much.

Not gonna scroll through and read stuff before my post, atleast not yet, so thanks for pointing that out.

I though it was really cool, glad most of your post has been addressed.

New menu also, and much of the UI looks a bit different, although the UI might be changed to fit the current one later on the the development.

Also Im thinking they might add dungeon music, them using that remix just kinda gave me that feeling.

Agreed, atleast with this we’ll likely get better servers with the money that is left over (if there is enough for a decent sized increase)

That’s the part I have an issue with: it’s not defined or quantified in any way. I don’t like throwing hundreds of dollars at vague assumptions.

Didn’t Deca also do the main parts of the Mountain Temple? I somehow remember it being Silex’s Dungeon.

yup its by silex. source Patch Notes X12 - Spring Cleaning Time!

Yeah… they do need this to port to unity because i bet there are not enough people working on it already…

I don’t really care about the unity thing, I just spent to get the cool purple name and fancy grave stones :slight_smile:

You don’t care that the game will die in 2020 when flash is discontinued?

Idk, I could live with that :man_shrugging:

But not without the purple name?

I mean… chest events…

USSouth…

Just sayin.

Buying the purple name was just a reaction when seeing the new thing, I just play occasionally. :thinking:

So you mean to tell me that all 7000 players that play RotMG are on USS at all times during any given time of day?

no but im saying that during chest events certain servers DO get more load.
hence “potato servers”

I do love how people like to lie to themselves when they spend hundreds of $$$ on realm because they clearly enjoy the game and want to pay for the advantages that they receive yet come onto here and say “But I am only doing it to support the game and to improve it” yet they also say “But I want to see where exactly my money goes and don’t want Deca to profit from it I want 100% of my money to go right back into making the game better”.

How can you be in denial so much to think that you are paying to help the game when in reality you know you give money and they in return give you in-game cosmetics or pet feed or whatever else you decide to spend your gold on?

Something many of you guys seem to not realise is that DECA getting profit from realm is never a bad thing as long as they continue development on the game which they are actively showing with the port, if it was back in Kabam days then I would understand the outrage over this as they were milking without producing any content but as far as I’ve seen DECA are at least trying.

I’ve not personally looked at the source code for realm even though I heard they never obfuscated it so it was public, but I was told that the amount of spaghetti code written from multiple inexperienced programmers over several years have lead to it having countless problems throughout which have been band-aid fixed very roughly which is another thing they are trying to fix with this unity port. So I mean yes of course someone might port over the current code to unity but I can almost guarantee it was a sloppy copy paste job with syntax changes and that’s about it, no optimisation at all meaning it is just as broken as the current flash version but on unity.

Anyway my view is that kids are upset they can’t spend the $500 to get a purple chat name and are considering purple chat names as some sort of power holding status symbol, new players are equating DECA to Kabam for some reason and everyone clearly has very little knowledge on both programming, business expenses and capitalism all together so have decided to nit pick statistics that backup their own view point and after crying on realmeye forums they will load up rotmg and have entertainment for a few hours before returning to the forums to cry some more about other people paying the devs.

I don’t see how that changes my argument.

I wasn’t arguing against you

I was just clarifying a common misconception

The client isn’t obfuscated. It was actually obfuscated a few builds ago but Deca quickly reverted it since many people were getting dc’ed.

Kabam and Deca have cleaned up the mess by WS over the years and the current client code, while not fully optimized, isn’t that bad anymore. However flash was never meant to support a game with so many animated objects hence the poor performance. This is what unity should fix.

Just as I said even a “direct translation” would yield better performances. But as of today you can’t just “copy paste job with syntax changes”. For starter realm may use certain flash packages for which there is no unity equivalent.

Anyone know if DECA disclosed if you will still be able to play on browser? One of the selling points of RotMG was being a “browser bullet-hell mmorpg”, so not being able to play on browser anymore (as laggy as it was) would be sucky.