Which tome to farm?

I’m trying to drag myself out of red star hell, and to do that I have to play Priest for a length of time. Since there’s an abundance of tomes in the game now. Which one would be the best to farm?

T5 unless you like speedy than T6 if you plan on playing with groups otherwise Prot/Puri, Puri is gonna be a grind though. All other tomes are just cool

Puri is by far the best for team play. Prot is fun for solo play, but you so really want to have a Puri for that as well. Good luck!

Do FSV with a t6 tome.

I agree with XXinfamous. T5 is a great all-around tome. It has an additional Healing status effect that neither Prot or Puri have. Plus, it’s very easy to grind. Past that you may opt to farm Prot, since it also gives you the chance to farm Geb tome on the side.

Prot is generally great for boss fights and high-damage encounters, you can also use it as a primary tome. T5 is better to use for def-piercing bosses though.

Geb tome is good for rushing stuff like Oryx 2, or anywhere that inflicts a lot of status effects. It also works as a discount Puri as it works well enough in clumped-up groups, just be careful when controlling your speedy. I would not use it as a primary tome since its healing is very little, but it does have the Healing buff so it’s not all bad.

I’d farm Puri last since I personally find it least “mandatory”. I think that as a newbie, one of your goals is to familiarize yourself with the risks of a dungeon like being paralyze-locked, confused, dazed, etc. instead of bypassing all of them I just think of this tome as a nice “bonus” tome to help out others and to get them out of sticky situations, and once I’m familiar with the risks of a dungeon so I know exactly when I need to use it.

Any of the damaging tomes or Necronomicon aren’t that important for a priest since they don’t nearly do enough damage to help most of the time, but better off if you’re specializing for damage. (But why do that on a Priest?)

If you can get your hands on it, and as a newbie this is like a near-impossible dream, but Tome of the Mushroom Tribe works wonders. It heals the most out of all tomes over time but you can spawn multiple mushrooms to speed up the healing. It has a downside of having a player limit though. It’s great for bosses where you constantly get hit so you avoid wasting HP from instant heals.

purification and protection

Tome of Holy Protection

People have not yet stressed enough on how good Prot is for those who are serious about playing Priest for a long time. Paired up with a good pet, you’re basically immortal. With powerful heals, a large heal radius, and its ability to let you tank fire like a melee, think of this item as the ultimate safety cushion.

I’ve played extensively with all serious tomes in the game now (no vanities/machine fun items etc) and I’ll give you my thoughts on everything here:

HEALING TOMES
T5 Tome: An excellent all-around tome for just healing. It’s very simple and easy to acquire. Not a bad option at all, especially with how easy it is to get.

T6 Tome: Also very solid, it does give speedy however, which some players might not be accustomed to. It’s very solid for rushing, but the healing is ultimately very similar to the T5, however (you will hardly notice the difference, which is only in the fact that this tome gives the Healing effect for a little longer)

Tome of the Mushroom Tribes: This is a pretty effective healing tome that works best for small groups during confined areas in dungeons or bossfights. It provides almost 500 HP in healing over a few seconds for up to ten players. It’s very good in small groups, but its effectiveness is decreased in larger groups and it is also rather difficult to acquire (dropping from an endgame dungeon). Still, it shouldn’t be too hard to obtain as Fungal whites are rather common in my experience.

Tome of Holy Protection: Commonly known as prot, this is one of the tankiest tomes for priest because it gives you the powerful armored effect. Very effective whenever armor piercing, status conditions, and/or massive damage shots aren’t a concern (primarily in midgame and some select endgame scenarios).

STATUS REMOVAL TOMES
Tome of Purification: A very powerful tome with the ability to remove negative status conditions excepting Pet Stasis (and of course, Quiet and Silenced from yourself unless you use it on the same frame you get Quiet/Silenced) and some un-puriable status effects from O3. Very excellent choice for dealing with all kinds of nasty stuff, such as confuse, sick, slowed, paralyzed, armor break, weak, dazed, quiet from other priests, and the list goes on!

Book of Geb: Generally considered to be a weaker puri. It’s still nice for rushing in some dungeons like OT and Mountain Temple where you want both the speedy effect and the purification, but otherwise the speedy can be a detriment in tight bossfights where you need to puri, such as the Nest bossfight.

DPS TOMES
Tome of Holy Furor: A rare tome only obtainable from MGM and the occasional chest event. It’s gives a pretty solid dex boost (+15) and really helps the priest to do more damage, and can even be spammed to stack the boost.

Ceremonial Merlot: Another stat-increase based DPS tome, but this time it’s attack (+20) and it’s also a larger boost. When using it, however, you will lose 5 defense, potentially making this less spammable in situations where you can’t afford to sacrifice all your defense. The +20 attack is a greater DPS boost than Holy Furor.

Necronomicon: A strange tome that has the rare-ish ability to curse enemies, but also applies curse to yourself. Can be very strong for increasing DPS, but is useless if you have a mystic. Not very favored by the community, but it has some purpose if you don’t have another curse and a lot of people (curse is very powerful with a big group that doesn’t already have it)

Tome of Pain: Gives a DPS boost by doing a burst of AOE damage around you. It’s not enough damage to be very significant, and so most players don’t like this. It can be okay for leveling a new character, as the damage will one-shot many early game enemies.

Tome of the Tarnished Gods: A unique DPS tome that provies a large amount of single-target damage (5k over a few seconds). It also has a healing orb effect that will heal your character when your character is at low hp. Best on bosses that don’t move around much and are also relatively safe to get closer to, as the tome spawns on your character and rotates in place, and only has a range of 6 tiles.

I believe DECA is planning on adjusting tomes so they grow weaker over larger groups, but balancing it with Wismod. Just a hunch!

It’s situational but it does a significant amount of damage if enough enemies are nearby - which is 6 squares with maxed wis and a good robe. Good for clearing out many dungeon rooms with 1 or 2 uses, getting damage & SB in on boosted Lich or Ent minions all at once, or clearing a troom in a CDepths in a few seconds. And you can use it more than other ‘damage around me’ attacks (e.g. EP) because it both boosts def and heals. It also does not cost too much so you can use it 2, 3 or 4 times if you need to, for both damage and to make up for its lesser heal.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.